Help Me Understand Going For Two

Latto

Nov 14, 2009
ISU was manhandling Oklahoma in the 4th. I was yelling and unhappy before the snap. Why would you go for two and not just take the tie and use your momentum to try and win in overtime? I think Campbell is great, but this was a bad decision.
Not a bad decision. Jalen Hurts in OT on short fields and terrible ISU kickers. OT is a different game than regulation. Not hard to understand. Use the momentum to take the game with 2. Didn't work out.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
ISU was manhandling Oklahoma in the 4th. I was yelling and unhappy before the snap. Why would you go for two and not just take the tie and use your momentum to try and win in overtime? I think Campbell is great, but this was a bad decision.
Why not use that momentum and win the game right there? Loved the call to go for 2 and it was the right decision.

• Agree
Reactions: im4cyclones

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Cause with the effort it took to come back, how much was left in the tank for OT? Momentum was there, take advantage of it. OT takes so long to get started OU could have regrouped and just rammed it down our throats.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Thats Kirk Ferentz right there, playing not to lose, lucky for Iowa State they have Matt Campbell who actually has some balls.
Go ahead and think that way, but Alabama would have gone for the extra point and trust his guys in overtime. It’s not that it’s the Ferentz mentality: ISU had the confidence and was playing much better than Oklahoma and the OU secondary was depleted. I think ISU would’ve won in OT over a beat up Oklahoma squad.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don’t have anything against the call, and I admire it. But I could also see us pulling it off in OT just as easy as us losing it. Ultimately your playmakers have to make plays and unfortunately Pettway didn’t do that

Purdy also missed an early Kolar open.

Pettway's had some tough catches this year so I was ok with the ball going to him too.

• Agree
Reactions: im4cyclones