Friday OT #1 - Covered Up

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I loved Weezer in HS and still enjoy the first 3 albums, but after that I think they’ve been mostly mailed in trash. There are some gems sprinkled through the last 20 years, but the more time goes by the more I think they just kinda got lucky early on.

This is a good take. I agree - although I would go so far as to say that Maladroit was just Green Album Part 2. We have seen them twice in concert (once when they were at Hilton in 2002 or so, and once at a festival in KC), and it is the early stuff I care about.

I think they hit at exactly the right time for their sound. If a band with Rivers Cuomo leading it had tried to hit during the predominantly hair metal stuff of the late 80s or during the boy bands of the late 90s, I don’t think we would know about them.

Reactions: cyclones500

Alswelk

Slightly Radioactive
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2006
Albuquerque, NM
Gonna commit a little mild blasphemy here.

I love the Ike & Tina Turner cover of CCR's Proud Mary. I've always felt like that song wanted to go into double-time and it feels great (to me at least) when it happens. Also the vocal harmonies in the slow section are *chef's kiss*.

Reactions: cyclones500

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is a good take. I agree - although I would go so far as to say that Maladroit was just Green Album Part 2. We have seen them twice in concert (once when they were at Hilton in 2002 or so, and once at a festival in KC), and it is the early stuff I care about.

I think they hit at exactly the right time for their sound. If a band with Rivers Cuomo leading it had tried to hit during the predominantly hair metal stuff of the late 80s or during the boy bands of the late 90s, I don’t think we would know about them.
Maladroit has some bangers for sure, but I skip a lot of those songs. I can play the first 3 without skipping a track.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Maladroit has some bangers for sure, but I skip a lot of those songs. I can play the first 3 without skipping a track.

Also agree with that. It isn’t much favorite as much as the first three - is just heavier in hits than their other stuff, and the timing was so close to the Green Album. I have always assumed it was one writing frenzy that produced the songs on both.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Disturbed - Sounds of Silence. My wife loved this song which surprised me because she was a huge Simon and Garfunkel fan.

The Morning Rush on kxno was bashing this version. Those buffoons wouldn't know good music if it bit them on the ***. This version is Awesome.

Reactions: urb1

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The Morning Rush on kxno was bashing this version. Those buffoons wouldn't know good music if it bit them on the ***. This version is Awesome.
Those dumbshits hating it pretty much solidifies that’s it’s awesome.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Off the top of my head:

Bowling for Soup- 1985 (originally by SR-71)
The Ataris- Boys of Summer
Goldfinger- 99 red balloons
Reel Big Fish- Take on Me
Save Ferris- Come on Eileen

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

If they were earlier would they be in that Violent Femmes area? Interesting, but not too popular.

Reactions: Angie