Friday OT #1 - Covered Up

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm not going to say it's better but Pearl Jams cover of Baba O'Riley is really really good. They just have their own unique sound/spin to that song.

Reactions: Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just so I'm not shitting on Dylan here

Chris Cornell had some great covers before he passed.

Fwiw I don't think you're shitting on Dylan.
Objectively plenty of people have better vocals and their backing bands play cleaner versions of his songs.

The 'I'm Not There' soundtrack is a prime example. Lots of talent. Very little depth with exception to J. James/Calexico.

Issue is how polished and imo forced/hollow they are played.

I generay feel the same with John Prine or Hendrix or Stevie Wonder or Bruce and and and.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
No joke Angie I was thinking of sending you this as an idea yesterday because Behind Blue Eyes has been stuck in my head

anyways, mind would be

"Behind Blue Eyes" Limp Bizkit> The Who

"Sound of Silence" Disturbed > Simon/Garfunkle

"What Hurts the Most" - Cascada > Rascal Flatts > whoever did it originally

"Life is a Highway" Rascal Flatts > Tom Cochrane

Well, that is bizarre and coincidental timing!

I am a huge fan of The Who, and their original ranks among my favorites of theirs, so I can’t give love to the cover - but it is definitely a NEW take on it, which I appreciate.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I think I may be the only person on earth who doesn’t like it, based on online reactions and social media. The spareness of the original was the whole point.

I know there are too many posts to disagree with them all, Bob Dylan’s vocals are plaintive and it suits his content.

I can agree with this. Many of my favorite artists do not have outstanding vocals, but their songwriting pulls the heavy weight. Definitely not dismissing Dylan's talent.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I can agree with this. Many of my favorite artists do not have outstanding vocals, but their songwriting pulls the heavy weight. Definitely not dismissing Dylan's talent.

And I do understand his voice isn’t his strong suit at all. You can’t put the dude in a singing contest against Chris Cornell or Freddie Mercury. But it suits his music.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ29

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
You can't just say that and not show it. ;)

It was the first one that popped into my head when I read the OP.

I remember reading the look his wife has at the 2:35 mark is legitimate concern. It wasn't acted.

This has to be one of the greatest music videos ever made

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I truly don’t get the love for this one. I think it sounds exactly the original.

Also my problem with it. It isn’t original at all. And as much as I have always loved Weezer, they have sort of just given up and taken to the covers thing because it makes them money right now.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
No joke Angie I was thinking of sending you this as an idea yesterday because Behind Blue Eyes has been stuck in my head

anyways, mind would be

"Behind Blue Eyes" Limp Bizkit> The Who

"Sound of Silence" Disturbed > Simon/Garfunkle

"What Hurts the Most" - Cascada > Rascal Flatts > whoever did it originally

"Life is a Highway" Rascal Flatts > Tom Cochrane

The first time I heard this Behind Blue Eyes version was at a… ahem… Gentleman’s Club in Montreal with one of my best friends. First song that came on as we came in.

All the songs that night were all that melancholy and kinda sad that Behind Blue Eyes was. We couldn’t stop laughing at how absurd it all was. We found out as we were leaving the upstairs is the more “lively” and the downstairs where we were was the more “sensual”.

Live and learn. But every time I hear this song it brings back a great memory and I love the song

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Turnpike Troubadour’s cover of “ Long Hot Summer Day” by John Hartford.

Cash’s entire American Series is a master class in elevated covers. My favorites:
Hurt (NIN)
I See a Darkness (Bonnie Prince Billy)
Rowboat (Beck)

This borders on sacrilege, and I’m not saying it’s necessarily better, but Dwight Yoakam’s cover of Purple Rain is amazing.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Also my problem with it. It isn’t original at all. And as much as I have always loved Weezer, they have sort of just given up and taken to the covers thing because it makes them money right now.
I loved Weezer in HS and still enjoy the first 3 albums, but after that I think they’ve been mostly mailed in trash. There are some gems sprinkled through the last 20 years, but the more time goes by the more I think they just kinda got lucky early on.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320 and Angie

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I really enjoy when artists do covers. Are they always better? Maybe not, probably not. I do enjoy the twist on the originals and have a play list full of them.
Arguably the best might be:

One I'm just glad happened:

A random favorite for this Friday

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I loved Weezer in HS and still enjoy the first 3 albums, but after that I think they’ve been mostly mailed in trash. There are some gems sprinkled through the last 20 years, but the more time goes by the more I think they just kinda got lucky early on.

They hit big early and throw out a single here and there to keep it going.

I've changed my perspective in that a band keeping it going 3 or 4 decades is quite an achievement.