Fan since 1963

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I know that you are mocking me. And that is fine sir (congrats on the birth of your child btw). But there are real and genuine reasons for what is happening. Many are the fault of the coaching staff, no doubt. But we got killed on the recruiting trail for TWO years (the first two years of the program where you start building, and where the locker room videos would have been effective)

But you know, people on here doing nothing but ripping the team and the players, does no good. Nothing is going to happen until December or later.

I choose to root for the kids, and look for the new guys to have the game slow down for them as the season winds down.

I've got no disagreement with that.
I think the assertion that so many are hidden Iowa fans is overboard. The other part makes perfect sense to me.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
When winning and losing becomes a business like it has today in college sports then we as fans need to step back and take a look at the big picture. It's not life or death but when you read way too many of these threads you'd think it was. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It's a direct reflection of how our economy is running these days. The formation of Super-Conferences has created primarily football being dominated by the top elite teams with everybody else just picking up the crumbs of leftover TV contracts. Look at how many coaches we've run out the door and our answer is just get a new coach. We've become a product of our own pestilent attitude - And that is getting a new coach is like waking up on Christmas morning as a kid and unwrapping the new head coach gift. / OK I'm coming out of my coma now, but seriously you guys CPR isn't going anywhere but if the people in the seats stop showing up then JP will strongly make his presence felt which at the end of the season we will see Mess move on. If we want to be like the big boys I guess we need to act them too and fire our coaches to get winning records, unfortunately the answer isn't as easy as that.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
You've invested 50 years and this year is enough to push you over the edge?

I've invested 51 years and I will not be pushed over the edge or not support the football program because that's what really good fans do...

Go Cyclones Beat The Mildcats!

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Les Miles did not leave a stocked cupboard for Gundy to play with, and if you recall, Gundy did not find immediate success. This was not a Chizik-esque "roll into town and win with someone else's guys and then burn the program down" scenario. And yes, Gundy was there during the miles years, so he ought to get some credit even if you accept that Miles "got the ball rolling" for him (you have not convicted me yet).

Also, what is your point with all of this, and how does it discredit my assertion that not everybody needs 6 years or more to put together a winning season?

"Convicted" you of what? I simply pointed out that Mike Gundy came after Les Miles; who whether you want to be "convicted" of it or not won 24 games in his last 3 years.

I am sure it was all Mike Gundy though because Les Miles sure hasn't done **** without Mike Gundy...

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
I've got no disagreement with that.
I think the assertion that so many are hidden Iowa fans is overboard. The other part makes perfect sense to me.

Or, you can read what they have written in the past.

As it is, I was actually calling out Iowa State "fans" who are either using an alt on here, or have a few posts when they signed up in 2006, or signed up in the last 2 months, and all they do is rip on the coaches, and even worse the kids that play for Iowa State.

The coaches are big boys, and they know that criticism comes with the territory. But to rip on kids??? Pathetic.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
View attachment 22780

Will always be a Cyclone fan. Will always be a Steelers fan. (Yes, this year's combination of CFB & NFL have been brutal & my liver is going to suffer). Have always been a Kansas City Royals fan (which I think is worse than putting down I was a Cubs fan). Will be until I'm 6 feet under dirt, dust in the wind, whatever.

However, that does not change the fact Rhoads has commented on how he views his position as a CEO. As a CEO after this season, if large changes are not made then I will have a problem. Regardless of the industry or setting, I'd rather go with a leader of an organization who surrounds himself with people having more talent, more intelligence, or both than he possesses. Which coaches within the entire staff would we all be comfortable in saying this about? Can anyone imagine Mess blowing up and moving on to greener pastures/larger pond or (heaven forbid) eventually becoming the head coach in Ames?

Watching the last Paul Rhoads' Show & seeing Walters ask CPR questions, in particular on mentioning the fan support that day, it was impossible for CPR to hide or mask his true feelings. Anger, disgust, frustration all flashed across his face. Right now he is hunkering down & rallying the troops best he can & attempting to pull out of the season whatever he can. We need a focus on the offensive side of the ball & someone with legitimate talent in developing quarterbacks. We need full-grown men on both sides of the line of scrimmage who play with attitude & an edge.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Exact word for word quote straight from Jamie "At Iowa State if you think you are going to win 9 games a year, I just dont think you are thinking correctly." You take as you want, but I didnt think it was warrented.

No it's not... Watch the coaches show... It's at the 28 minute mark. I had to check it out for myself. It was say every year.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
No it's not... Watch the coaches show... It's at the 28 minute mark. I had to check it out for myself. It was say every year.

LOL, I just listened to it on the TNT podcast from yesterday and wrote word for word what came out of Jamie's mounth.

TNT 10/29 7am

Time is 31:32

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Direct Quote..... if you think you are going to win 9 games every year, I don't think you are thinking correctly.

Please go an listen to it... 28 minutes and 30 seconds or so.

You are wrong... Plain and simple...

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Direct Quote..... if you think you are going to win 9 games every year, I don't think you are thinking correctly.

Ok he did say every year, so what? Who in the country doesnt expect to win 9 games every year? I guess we cant. Hard to win 9 games every year when CPR has not won 9 games an any year.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

No matter how you pamper it, its a slap in the face to those fans that have followed the plan.

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
"Convicted" you of what? I simply pointed out that Mike Gundy came after Les Miles; who whether you want to be "convicted" of it or not won 24 games in his last 3 years.

I am sure it was all Mike Gundy though because Les Miles sure hasn't done **** without Mike Gundy...

Typo. I meant to say convinced.

And I am a little touchy about it because it is just another excuse, and one that I cannot stand. I really dislike it when someone discredits a coach by saying "well, pfft, he is just standing on the shoulders of the coach who came before him". Mike Gundy has conference records of 1-7, 3-5, 4-4, 5-3, 6-2, 6-2, and 8-1 in his first 7 years...are you going to credit that slow start and steady improvement all to the ghost of Les Miles? Seriously?

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
No matter how you pamper it, its a slap in the face to those fans that have followed the plan.

He is being realistic.... he never said not to expect it. He said not every year. If you don't understand this, you don't understand Iowa State Football. We WILL always have years were this happens. I think if someone said this about Nebraska it would hold true today. It is true at Iowa. But when he says it about ISU... Ohhhhh ****.... Where is my pitchfork.

Everyone loves Pollard for speaking the truth. Until he says one minor thing you don't like. Then it's an insult. If you expected 9 wins this year, you clearly needed help. We have played nothing but the top 3 or 4 teams in the Big 12 so far. They have a combined 1 conference loss so far.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Ok he did say every year, so what? Who in the country doesnt expect to win 9 games every year? I guess we cant. Hard to win 9 games every year when CPR has not won 9 games an any year.

You do realize we've one 9 games once in 122 years of Cyclone football correct? There is no way anyone should expect this program to win 9 games on an annual basis.

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
Or, you can read what they have written in the past.

As it is, I was actually calling out Iowa State "fans" who are either using an alt on here, or have a few posts when they signed up in 2006, or signed up in the last 2 months, and all they do is rip on the coaches, and even worse the kids that play for Iowa State.

The coaches are big boys, and they know that criticism comes with the territory. But to rip on kids??? Pathetic.

I hope you are not talking about me. I joined in September after the Iowa loss because I was pretty upset with all of the negativity, people throwing in the towel after two games. It was silly. As the season has gone on, I think all of us realize now that it is a a bust and have some genuine concerns and doubts. But, I have never ripped on the kids playing the game.

Again, I hope you are not talking about me, but I agree that kids playing their hearts out every game do not deserve bashing. The coaches getting paid hundreds of thousands or even millions a year for being in charge of the program, though, are certainly fair game for criticism.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
He is being realistic.... he never said not to expect it. He said not every year. If you don't understand this, you don't understand Iowa State Football. We WILL always have years were this happens. I think if someone said this about Nebraska it would hold true today. It is true at Iowa. But when he says it about ISU... Ohhhhh ****.... Where is my pitchfork.

Everyone loves Pollard for speaking the truth. Until he says one minor thing you don't like. Then it's an insult. If you expected 9 wins this year, you clearly needed help. We have played nothing but the top 3 or 4 teams in the Big 12 so far. They have a combined 1 conference loss so far.

These are great points. I guess if I am a salesman, my sales pitch would not be his. "Hey I have these widgets, we expect them to perform great we just dont expect them to perform great every year, how many do you want, please buy?"

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
You do realize we've one 9 games once in 122 years of Cyclone football correct? There is no way anyone should expect this program to win 9 games on an annual basis.

I sure as hell would love to have that expectation and hope we are building our program to be at that level.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I sure as hell would love to have that expectation and hope we are building our program to be at that level.

YOU can have whatever expectations you want. Jamie was discussing what he does to evaluate his football coaching staff. If he as a decision maker took the approach of "9 wins or GTFO" he would be left with a program in a constant state of upheaval.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron