ESPN Laying Off Additional On-Air Personalities

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Wow thats crazy. Is the reason for all this because ESPN cant pay their current bills, or are they attempting to find more money to keep inflating all these cable TV contracts when they come up for renewal? If its the later, ESPN is setting themselves up to fail big time, IMO.
they're still profitable. Just not as profitable.

But, the trend is not in their favor. As crappy as this was, it was probably something that needed to be done. They're a bloated dinosaur. They need a change in their overall model, or risk becoming obsolete.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Yeah their college basketball crew was gutted. Myron Medcalf the only writer still around? Seems everyone else got let go.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
When does that ever happen? John Skipper will continue cashing his checks.

Oh, I know. It was pretty much a rhetorical question on my part, although it would be nice to see someone high up in the chain of command have to face some consequences as well.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Have all the public statements from all the laid off employees been positive? I guess all the ones I've seen have been. You'd think you'd get at least a couple rouge rants.

Maybe all got promises for possible contract work later or maybe even rehire if/when they right their ship in the future?

It is always wise to not burn bridges in these situations, but just thought we'd see a wild card or few.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Have all the public statements from all the laid off employees been positive? I guess all the ones I've seen have been. You'd think you'd get at least a couple rouge rants.

Maybe all got promises for possible contract work later or maybe even rehire if/when they right their ship in the future?

It is always wise to not burn bridges in these situations, but just thought we'd see a wild card or few.

I'm sure most, if not all, were given severance. I'm guessing there might have been a pledge to not badmouth the company tied to it.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Or they signed a severance agreement...

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm sure most, if not all, were given severance. I'm guessing there might have been a pledge to not badmouth the company tied to it.

I would imagine that the severance paid was rather healthy. I don't think ESPN went at this with a here's what we need to do to survive today rather here's what we need to do to survive the next 5 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see another wave of this in a couple of years.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah their college basketball crew was gutted. Myron Medcalf the only writer still around? Seems everyone else got let go.

It's almost like ESPN is content with letting their written content coverage fall to the wayside. They showed some damn good journalists the door and I don't see how their written content doesn't suffer from this. I just hope that they don't continue to push even more content via their "insider" platform. I quit renewing my membership years ago and I will never go back.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
It's almost like ESPN is content with letting their written content coverage fall to the wayside. They showed some damn good journalists the door and I don't see how their written content doesn't suffer from this. I just hope that they don't continue to push even more content via their "insider" platform. I quit renewing my membership years ago and I will never go back.

Ad revenue from page clicks are down so much in the last couple years. Seeing it all over journalism of all sorts. Sports, gaming, politics, news etc. Everything is turning personality driven and sites are moving to more subscription based or stuff like patreon for funding. Tough to run websites on just ad revenue alone, and with how intrusive ads are getting most people are running adblock anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Except Rich Eisen couldn't run NFL GameDay without those former players that you hate so much. As entertaining as Eisen is and as much as he does know football, he doesn't know it like his co-hosts do. As entertaining as Eisen is, if it was just him and people like him, his show would get terrible pretty quickly.

Yeah, you need both the professionals and the guys who have actually played the sport on the field. The professionals guide the conversation and keep it structured. The former players offer insights that most wouldn't know unless they played the game.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Just so glad that Golic Jr. is sticking around.

o_O

Again... If they let Golic Jr. go who is going to sit around in kids pajamas eating Christmas cookies for an hour?

Jesus Christ people... you all act like guys like Golic Jr. with their incredible skill sets just grow on trees. You think just anyone could do this?

Screen-Shot-2016-12-21-at-1.30.57-PM-1-e1482345335789-650x430-1.jpg