ESPN Laying Off Additional On-Air Personalities

TweezerReprise

Mar 27, 2017
JFC, it was one guy's **** comment, ONE. As if Hassel is a coal miner or something. He'll be fine. ESPN is the devil anyway.

Of course he'll be fine. Although ESPN may be the devil, they're still the top dog in the game and he played that game for 4+ years, in his twentys. Gotta take those cyclone blinders off once in awhile. Grab a clue, the whole CF crew has vouched for him in this thread.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I disagree in principle. I couldn't care less whether they're educated or not. These are entertainment programs, not news programs. Entertain me.
I'm not entertained. Give me a guy like Rich Eisen over any former player. Tony Romo becoming a commentator is kind of a joke also, but I hate the Cowboys so my opinion might not be worth much there.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Not a good day to be female or cover hockey.

If they fire some good people, would be my dream to replace Andy Garmin with one of them. Don't need all Hawk sports reporters on local news.

Responding to this before reading the rest of the thread, my fear is that Hassell gets canned and comes back and joins WHO with that asshat Sears.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
All this Hassel stuff makes me wonder whatever happened to Lickliter's son, I think he ripped him pretty viciously considering he was a walk on college student. I thought he was coaching with his father, but I think Todd resigned from the school he was at in Indianapolis. Google has let me down on where John is now.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Responding to this before reading the rest of the thread, my fear is that Hassell gets canned and comes back and joins WHO with that asshat Sears.
Sears can go or take a reduced role so Hassel joins back

Last edited:

Hawkmi1987

Jun 27, 2016
Newton, Ia
JFC, it was one guy's **** comment, ONE. As if Hassel is a coal miner or something. He'll be fine. ESPN is the devil anyway.
JFC you take collegiate athletics WAAAAYYY too seriously if you are rejoicing at a man losing his job. (not due to performance mind you) You are bitter due to his light hearted jabs at the team that you support. That's really quite funny. If he got your panties in that big of a bunch it sounds like you are in need of some serious introspection.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Yellow Snow

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I think a point most aren't making is what Fox Sports does with this. I'm sure that's where some of these guys will head to. It would be awesome if Fox would pass ESPN in the near future but it will probably take awhile until then.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm not entertained. Give me a guy like Rich Eisen over any former player. Tony Romo becoming a commentator is kind of a joke also, but I hate the Cowboys so my opinion might not be worth much there.

Except Rich Eisen couldn't run NFL GameDay without those former players that you hate so much. As entertaining as Eisen is and as much as he does know football, he doesn't know it like his co-hosts do. As entertaining as Eisen is, if it was just him and people like him, his show would get terrible pretty quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Except Rich Eisen couldn't run NFL GameDay without those former players that you hate so much. As entertaining as Eisen is and as much as he does know football, he doesn't know it like his co-hosts do. As entertaining as Eisen is, if it was just him and people like him, his show would get terrible pretty quickly.
I don't hate those guys as people, I just don't like listening to them talk. Rich Eisen doesn't need those guys. He knows his stuff. I agree it can't just be him, but bring in some other guys who know how to speak proper English who also know football. It's all about ratings though and I get that, but listening to Deion talk is like batin' with a cheese grater..... slightly amusing but mostly painful.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
That's why I liked Hassel better than John Sears or Andy Garmon who barely can conceal their disdain for Iowa State.

No kidding. I hated seeing Sears walking around the Big 12 tourney this year. He couldn't care less about the whole thing.

Soundoff hasn't been the same since Hassel left. Throwing in Sears and reducing Andy's role has made it unwatchable.

I used to watch Soundoff regularly. Now, I'll watch the Murphy's law segment Monday mornings before work but that's it.

Agree. Sears is terrible. Should have brought back Heather after Andy left (again). Let Hassle back and make him co-host!

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Don't know if it has been posted but Andy Katz was let go as well

Wow....

That's a stunner.

I honestly can't remember a time when Katz wasn't a big part of ESPN's College Basketball team, and I think he's very good at what he does.

That's a real shame.

So....just asking, but are any of the really high-level executives who were responsible for signing those ridiculous contracts to overpay the pro leagues that helped necessitate all these people being let go in the first place going to lose their jobs as well for being financially irresponsible?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Wow....

That's a stunner.

I honestly can't remember a time when Katz wasn't a big part of ESPN's College Basketball team, and I think he's very good at what he does.

That's a real shame.

So....just asking, but are any of the really high-level executives who were responsible for signing those ridiculous contracts to overpay the pro leagues that helped necessitate all these people being let go in the first place going to lose their jobs as well for being financially irresponsible?
When does that ever happen? John Skipper will continue cashing his checks.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I think a point most aren't making is what Fox Sports does with this. I'm sure that's where some of these guys will head to. It would be awesome if Fox would pass ESPN in the near future but it will probably take awhile until then.

Fox has already picked up some talent from earlier round, but the reality is Fox Sports will have the same revenue issues as ESPN is dealing with, won't they ? They are not nearly as leveraged as ESPN with all the big contracts they've signed with conferences, but why would Fox Sports revenue stream be on a different trajectory than ESPNs? I assume they both depend on cable/satellite subscriptions in the same way. No?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Don't know if it has been posted but Andy Katz was let go as well

Wow thats crazy. Is the reason for all this because ESPN cant pay their current bills, or are they attempting to find more money to keep inflating all these cable TV contracts when they come up for renewal? If its the later, ESPN is setting themselves up to fail big time, IMO.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Fox has already picked up some talent from earlier round, but the reality is Fox Sports will have the same revenue issues as ESPN is dealing with, won't they ? They are not nearly as leveraged as ESPN with all the big contracts they've signed with conferences, but why would Fox Sports revenue stream be on a different trajectory than ESPNs? I assume they both depend on cable/satellite subscriptions in the same way. No?

This is true. Fox sports has been losing subscribers as well. All cable networks have. ESPN feels it worse than others because they get so much of their revenue from subscription fees. Networks like Fox Sports are less dependent, and don't charge as large of fees, but it's still lost revenue for them.

• Informative
Reactions: capitalcityguy