Don't Expect Many If Any Changes In Offense

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
This was the team that won the FIESTA BOWL the previous season and by all accounts is the greatest team EVER at Iowa State in the modern era. The team that was a single interception away from winning the Big 12 championship.

The issue is you are not showing program consistency when you go 7-6 in the seasons preceding and following the greatest season in school history that the program has broken through. There was more program consistency in 2017-2018 with two 8-win seasons and a lot of promise.

Mark Mangino won the Orange Bowl for Kansas going 12-1 following with an 8-5 record the next season. Then he seemed to think players didn't execute and went to extremes to attempt to ensure that they did leading to his departure and subsequent hiring as Paul Rhoads last chip to continue his regime.

It would seem just having one great season and a few above average seasons does not guarantee the ability to sustain a great program over time.
The coach whomever he may be who SUSTAINS A GREAT PROGRAM @ Iowa State will undoubtedly be THE GREATEST COACH OF ALL TIME!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The biggest problem is year 1 problems remain evident in year 7.

This entire season, a year of development and experience, was WASTED on the offensive side of the ball.

No noticeable changes or modifications, no new wrinkles or strategies.

Just try the same crap over, and over, and over. Even though it isn't working.

Same scared offense in the Red Zone, and untrustworthy kickers now.

Once again, another year WASTED with underperformance.

Thanks MAC Matty. I hope you enjoy the $9million you pocketed.

No changes made from Year 1 to Year 7?? You probably need to pause and take some time to reflect. Because if comparing taking over a doormat program and winning a New Year’s 6 bowl along with the highest conference winning percentages in 50 years is a nothing burger to you, you haven’t been an ISU fan long.

There is constructive criticism of Matt Campbell and there is garbage. You are definitely towards the latter.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Exactly I’d like to see the numbers but our offense must run the ball 60 to 70% of the time on 1st down plays. Then factor in most of those are runs up the middle from the shotgun.
These runs rarely get more than 2-3 yards. It starts us off behind the sticks.

I’ve noticed all season opposing defenses shift their defensive alignment with Rus in the game. Load the box and When Rus goes in motion that’s where the ball will be run

I may be wrong but I’ve seen very few pulling lineman to create double team opportunities on the edges. The offense creates double teams by the TE or Hback but allow the defense to shift to the heavy side.

When the play doesn’t work it’s blamed in execution.
The biggest problem is THAT OUR LINE GETS NO PUSH ON RUNNING PLAYS!
And yes ... I would FIRE THE OFFENSIVE LINE COACH THE MINUTE THIS SEASON ENDS!! Just my humble opinion!!

Reactions: Cyclad

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Under CMC you are getting NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGES ...IMHO!

It's the buddy system and you DON'T FIRE YOUR BUDDY'S!!

In Ames it's the buddy system..... and in IC it's nepotism. So which program will be the first to get rid of their OC like they should? My guess is that neither will do it this offseason.

CMC will fire Myers.... and that will be the only change made.

• Dumb
Reactions: CycloneVet

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The biggest problem is THAT OUR LINE GETS NO PUSH ON RUNNING PLAYS!
And yes ... I would FIRE THE OFFENSIVE LINE COACH THE MINUTE THIS SEASON ENDS!! Just my humble opinion!!
If CMC get a new line coach, I’m willing to see what next year brings. We have had better offenses over Campbells stretch so that’s is why.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We had one here briefly in the 70s but the AD at the time helped him pack to go to Ohio State.

Not what happened at all. Woody Hayes punched a player and lost his job. Earle Bruce applied and was hired at his alma mater Ohio State University. Earle Bruce was not pushed out by the AD. Earle Bruce was hired away from Iowa State by Ohio State. Ohio State was and is a legendary coaching position. Earle was there for a while.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
In Ames it's the buddy system..... and in IC it's nepotism. So which program will be the first to get rid of their OC like they should? My guess is that neither will do it this offseason.

CMC will fire Myers.... and that will be the only change made.

I’m wondering where this (dumb) narrative started and how it’s become accepted. Campbell fired his good buddy S&C coach because he wasn’t getting it done. And guess what, when you are winning at the clip we had been over the past 2-3 years - YOU DON’T FIRE PEOPLE.

So basically 1) he’s shown he will fire his friends and 2) he hasn’t needed to make changes until this year because what he was doing was working.

Where did this garbage come from?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I’m wondering where this (dumb) narrative started and how it’s become accepted. Campbell fired his good buddy S&C coach because he wasn’t getting it done. And guess what, when you are winning at the clip we had been over the past 2-3 years - YOU DON’T FIRE PEOPLE.

So basically 1) he’s shown he will fire his friends and 2) he hasn’t needed to make changes until this year because what he was doing was working.

Where did this garbage come from?

Same schtick they used when TJ was first interviewed for HC when Hoiberg left. “The Process” and “JP hiring his Buddy” led to Steve Prohm. Hell, most were upset with JP paying Otz’s buyout. Looks like a helluva bargain.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
If there aren’t changes, I wonder how much attendance will drop. I for sure won’t be renewing my 3.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Under CMC you are getting NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGES ...IMHO!

It's the buddy system and you DON'T FIRE YOUR BUDDY'S!!

Reminded me of this Orson Wells interview. His simple one line answers to the first three questions about hiring friends are pure gold and seem to fit our situation to a tee.

Reactions: psychlones

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Agree with you 100% and he may be right…the execution sucks in the red zone. But I wonder…why doesn’t it suck between the 20s? As for play calling…why can fans in the stands call the plays we are going to run in a situation? Because the play calling is too predictable and thus flawed.
I think I can predict 90% of football plays across all of football. Based on alignment you are able to figure out most plays. Down and distance as well.

Look at Iowa over the years, most basic offense since the 50s. But they used to be very successful because of the OL. Their OL is inexperienced now and they struggled mightily. Same in Ames. Our issues have been injuries, bad OL, and dropped passes. I would be surprised if we don't fix the OL this off-season. Manning may not be Lincoln Riley, but play-calling isn't the reason for this implosion of offense.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
Not what happened at all. Woody Hayes punched a player and lost his job. Earle Bruce applied and was hired at his alma mater Ohio State University. Earle Bruce was not pushed out by the AD. Earle Bruce was hired away from Iowa State by Ohio State. Ohio State was and is a legendary coaching position. Earle was there for a while.
Ok, who was the Athletic director at Iowa State in 1978 and what were his connections? Hint: He actually coached for Woody Hayes prior to his stint as Iowa State AD.

At the time it seemed little was even attempted to retain Earle Bruce. My comment about the AD (Lou McCullough) referred to the perception that he seemed to encourage Bruce to move on. Imagine if after 17-18 Matt Campbell was left with the exact same contract as he had when he came on board.

Lou redeemed himself somewhat when he managed to hire Johnny Orr which really was the genesis of modern Iowa State basketball. No Johnny Orr, no Fred Hoiberg, no Coach Otz in this alternate sequence.

Yes, you are right about Ohio State being a legendary coaching position and strangely enough it was filled consecutively by Earle Bruce and John Cooper for 20 years.

One was the coach at Iowa State and the other could have been the coach at Iowa State instead of Jim Criner.

It is pretty clear that Iowa State football was set up to rot in the 1980s all for the sake of Fry’s Hawkeyes. Hayden Fry struggled (1-3) against Donnie Duncan and the Cyclones. Duncan is not remembered as a great coach but he still had the remnants of Bruce’s program and some success.

If you want to say this a crazy conspiracy theory that’s fine. But consider all the controversy that went into renewing the Iowa State-Iowa series. The fact that Iowa State facilities were stagnant and Criner’s performances against the Hawkeyes. There are too many events transpiring in a very short window of time to be mere coincidence.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
CMC is doubling/tripling down on his offense and play-calling. Given this, I expect to see little change for next year (staff, offense plays, scoring, and ultimately record). I guess he has now watched the tape and has decided it is not his system that is at fault. Unsurprising to say the least.
How we feeling about this sentiment now???

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored and HFCS

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ok, who was the Athletic director at Iowa State in 1978 and what were his connections? Hint: He actually coached for Woody Hayes prior to his stint as Iowa State AD.

At the time it seemed little was even attempted to retain Earle Bruce. My comment about the AD (Lou McCullough) referred to the perception that he seemed to encourage Bruce to move on. Imagine if after 17-18 Matt Campbell was left with the exact same contract as he had when he came on board.

Lou redeemed himself somewhat when he managed to hire Johnny Orr which really was the genesis of modern Iowa State basketball. No Johnny Orr, no Fred Hoiberg, no Coach Otz in this alternate sequence.

Yes, you are right about Ohio State being a legendary coaching position and strangely enough it was filled consecutively by Earle Bruce and John Cooper for 20 years.

One was the coach at Iowa State and the other could have been the coach at Iowa State instead of Jim Criner.

It is pretty clear that Iowa State football was set up to rot in the 1980s all for the sake of Fry’s Hawkeyes. Hayden Fry struggled (1-3) against Donnie Duncan and the Cyclones. Duncan is not remembered as a great coach but he still had the remnants of Bruce’s program and some success.

If you want to say this a crazy conspiracy theory that’s fine. But consider all the controversy that went into renewing the Iowa State-Iowa series. The fact that Iowa State facilities were stagnant and Criner’s performances against the Hawkeyes. There are too many events transpiring in a very short window of time to be mere coincidence.
A person close to Bruce had mentioned Bruce told him he went into Lou’s office because he had been offered. He wanted to stay and if Lou had offered to close the gap, he would have, but Lou didn’t think anyone would ever turn down an OSU job so Lou just congratulated him and that was all.

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
How we feeling about this sentiment now???
Very pleasantly surprised tough decisions like this got done. Props to coach for making the tough calls to reverse what has happended the last two years (he didn't 'have to' given the goodwill he as accumulated, but defintely the right call for long term potential). I really hope this is the beginning of climbing the mountain again and creating a stronger foundation to prevent this type of dramatic fall off in the future.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron