Don't Expect Many If Any Changes In Offense

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
With OC announcement just moved deck chairs. Nothing new to see here. OL coach move will be absolutely critical or will be more of the same.
There is a lot to be said for continuity. Terminology will be the same so the kids won't have to learn that new. Now you have a dynamic recruiter at the top of the offense. We will get a new OL coach and S&C coach and this is a deck chair mover for you?

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I am still hoping Scheelhaase brings a bit more dynamic creativity, even though it'll be with the same overall philosophy and probably for the most part the same playbook. Manning was soooooo vanilla. Wanting complementary ball control offense doesn't mean it's illegal to run misdirection, option, or jet sweeps

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Here are some quotes from a DM Register article today from CMC regarding the offense:

"With Iowa State last in the Big 12 most statistical categories and ranked 110th nationally in scoring, there’s a natural inclination to wonder if something is structurally or philosophically wrong with the Cyclones’ offense.

That, though, is not what coach Matt Campbell says he sees when he watches film of his team.

“With that, you see inept, an inability to function,” Campbell said of a hypothetical fundamentally flawed group. “Those aren’t our issues. Where we’re at offensively, it’s been the inconsistency.”

"“It’s not the call. It’s not the play. They are all there,” Campbell said. “It’s the execution of it. Those are things that continue to lead to inconsistency. That’s the hard thing about it and the frustrating thing about it.

Even has the players spouting the exact same thing. Per Noel - "“It wasn’t the play call. It was just us executing the play, being able to pick up the right blocks and do our right assignments to be able to execute that play.” Also - "“Knowing that it’s the execution part, knowing that it’s something we can fix and hold ourselves accountable for is in a way a good thing because we know we can go back and fix it.”

CMC is doubling/tripling down on his offense and play-calling. Given this, I expect to see little change for next year (staff, offense plays, scoring, and ultimately record). I guess he has now watched the tape and has decided it is not his system that is at fault. Unsurprising to say the least.

You nailed this one, my guy.

Not.

CloneOutWest

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Boise, ID
With OC announcement just moved deck chairs. Nothing new to see here. OL coach move will be absolutely critical or will be more of the same.
KState "moved deck chairs" after last year. Worked out pretty well. But yes, OL coach hire will definitely be critical.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
This is a great analogy. The laziest Root Cause/Corrective Action combo you can see is:
Root Cause = Operator Error, Corrective Action = Updated work instructions/training.
This ensures you will see the defects come back. The hard work is figuring out how to change the process or possibly even the product design to figure out how to eliminate the human error factor. I will remain optimistic that during the season they don't have the time for the deeper analysis but they now have enough evidence that they will take that next level of analysis during the off-season to come up with some real corrective actions.
Sidebar - I worked in manufacturing for 37+ years. We need more conversations like this.

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
Courtesy welfare check on @isufanz1 just to make sure he is still OK.
I am doing just fine - thanks for asking. And pleasantly surprised how many changes have occurred. OL coach I am thrilled about, as well as Gordon leaving for SF. Hopefully CMC will hire a strong QB coach to fill the role (time will tell). I am indifferent to Scheelhaase move - just have to see if there is any real change there (but hopefully some change at OL with Clanton can bring some nasty to that group and set the stage for the Offense). Nate S will make or break CMC's moves and determine which direction the program is headed (back to 8+ wins or continue to wallow in the .500 area).

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I am still hoping Scheelhaase brings a bit more dynamic creativity, even though it'll be with the same overall philosophy and probably for the most part the same playbook. Manning was soooooo vanilla. Wanting complementary ball control offense doesn't mean it's illegal to run misdirection, option, or jet sweeps

As long as he gets rid of the 3rd and short shotgun handoff I'm good with it. SOB I got tired of watching that play fail this last season.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'll be very surprised if we see much of any change in the offense. We basically didn't make any change at OC by just replacing it with another offensive assistant and "yes sir" guy.