Don't Expect Many If Any Changes In Offense

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
Here are some quotes from a DM Register article today from CMC regarding the offense:

"With Iowa State last in the Big 12 most statistical categories and ranked 110th nationally in scoring, there’s a natural inclination to wonder if something is structurally or philosophically wrong with the Cyclones’ offense.

That, though, is not what coach Matt Campbell says he sees when he watches film of his team.

“With that, you see inept, an inability to function,” Campbell said of a hypothetical fundamentally flawed group. “Those aren’t our issues. Where we’re at offensively, it’s been the inconsistency.”

"“It’s not the call. It’s not the play. They are all there,” Campbell said. “It’s the execution of it. Those are things that continue to lead to inconsistency. That’s the hard thing about it and the frustrating thing about it.

Even has the players spouting the exact same thing. Per Noel - "“It wasn’t the play call. It was just us executing the play, being able to pick up the right blocks and do our right assignments to be able to execute that play.” Also - "“Knowing that it’s the execution part, knowing that it’s something we can fix and hold ourselves accountable for is in a way a good thing because we know we can go back and fix it.”

CMC is doubling/tripling down on his offense and play-calling. Given this, I expect to see little change for next year (staff, offense plays, scoring, and ultimately record). I guess he has now watched the tape and has decided it is not his system that is at fault. Unsurprising to say the least.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Here are some quotes from a DM Register article today from CMC regarding the offense:

"With Iowa State last in the Big 12 most statistical categories and ranked 110th nationally in scoring, there’s a natural inclination to wonder if something is structurally or philosophically wrong with the Cyclones’ offense.

That, though, is not what coach Matt Campbell says he sees when he watches film of his team.

“With that, you see inept, an inability to function,” Campbell said of a hypothetical fundamentally flawed group. “Those aren’t our issues. Where we’re at offensively, it’s been the inconsistency.”

"“It’s not the call. It’s not the play. They are all there,” Campbell said. “It’s the execution of it. Those are things that continue to lead to inconsistency. That’s the hard thing about it and the frustrating thing about it.

Even has the players spouting the exact same thing. Per Noel - "“It wasn’t the play call. It was just us executing the play, being able to pick up the right blocks and do our right assignments to be able to execute that play.” Also - "“Knowing that it’s the execution part, knowing that it’s something we can fix and hold ourselves accountable for is in a way a good thing because we know we can go back and fix it.”

CMC is doubling/tripling down on his offense and play-calling. Given this, I expect to see little change for next year (staff, offense plays, scoring, and ultimately record). I guess he has now watched the tape and has decided it is not his system that is at fault. Unsurprising to say the least.

Matt is one of the most professional coaches out there when it comes to not throwing people under the bus publicly. We should appreciate that about him.

Also when Matt praises a group publicly I think he is just trying to let them know that he believes in them. I am concerned going forward when he praises a group because that means they aren’t gonna be good. It’s been the new tight ends, OLine , and this year the running backs.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Matt is one of the most professional coaches out there when it comes to not throwing people under the bus publicly. We should appreciate that about him.

Also when Matt praises a group publicly I think he is just trying to let them know that he believes in them. I am concerned going forward when he praises a group because that means they aren’t gonna be good. It’s been the new tight ends, OLine , and this year the running backs.
Agree with you 100% and he may be right…the execution sucks in the red zone. But I wonder…why doesn’t it suck between the 20s? As for play calling…why can fans in the stands call the plays we are going to run in a situation? Because the play calling is too predictable and thus flawed.

KremitGreens

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
“It’s the execution…”

Well, where the hell does the blame go for their lack of progress? Are they really blaming kids for not improving?

It’s the “execution” as they finally install a qb sneak against Texas Tech. What about all the offside penalties by the OL? A weakness for years.

We now know that special teams issues are the KIDS fault. Lack of execution?

The lack of responsibility by CMC is disgusting.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Agree with you 100% and he may be right…the execution sucks in the red zone. But I wonder…why doesn’t it suck between the 20s? As for play calling…why can fans in the stands call the plays we are going to run in a situation? Because the play calling is too predictable and thus flawed.

It’s tougher on a compressed field. Also they protect Dekkers quite a bit with the play calling. His mistakes have typically come when we need to push the envelope

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I listened to Monday's Two Guys Named Chris and Hassel nailed it. There are no issues with how Matt Campbell wants us to play offensively. BUT...if you are going to play that way - low possession, mid-teens scoring - you MUST be elite at the little things. And, we all know, ISU is the opposite of elite while Iowa is very good to elite in the margins. If you are going to play Campbell's offensive style you must have:

1. Excellent punting (we suck)
2. Excellent FG kicking (we suck)
3. Limit turnovers and mistakes (we suck)
4. Limit penalties, especially "simple" ones like false starts (we suck)
5. Get turnovers from your defense that position the offense well (we aren't very good).
6. Get scores from your defense (we suck)

And that's just to name a few. Every single one of these is amplified when you are playing games in the teens. So Matt Campbell is crazy if he thinks we play this way and be terrible in the margins.

To me, we need structural changes because we have demonstrated for years we really suck in the margins. Until Matt realizes this, we are going to be 7-6 with NFL talent or 4-8 with a Top 10 defense.

Mads4st8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2021
I listened to Monday's Two Guys Named Chris and Hassel nailed it. There are no issues with how Matt Campbell wants us to play offensively. BUT...if you are going to play that way - low possession, mid-teens scoring - you MUST be elite at the little things. And, we all know, ISU is the opposite of elite while Iowa is very good to elite in the margins. If you are going to play Campbell's offensive style you must have:

5. Get turnovers from your defense that position the offense well (we aren't very good).

And that's just to name a few. Every single one of these is amplified when you are playing games in the teens. So Matt Campbell is crazy if he thinks we play this way and be terrible in the margins.

To me, we need structural changes because we have demonstrated for years we really suck in the margins. Until Matt realizes this, we are going to be 7-6 with NFL talent or 4-8 with a Top 10 defense.
So in essence, we need to be Iowa. And this came from Hassel? Perfect. Nothing to see here. Glad I didn't waste my time listening.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The overall philosophy is fine. Power running but an overall balanced attack.

He is not wrong that the execution (especially by the OL) has been atrocious more often than not.

I think the 2 biggest problems on offense are:
1) how they are coaching/teaching the guys to execute isn't working - especially the OL
2) the overall management of the offensive scheme seems, let's say, "unsophisticated"
  • the way they adjust the offense to the players in the summer
  • there doesn't seem to be any "lets score on this play" explosiveness
  • don't seem to attack all areas of the field consistently
  • route trees combined with QB progressions
  • in game adjustments to what is and is not working

That's all about who is in charge doing the coaching on offense.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

They talk about it being fixable, but it has been an issue all year, so if it is fixable, how come they have not fixed it by now. Didn't the Iowa DC make a comment that they pretty much know what play we are going to run most of the time?

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes

You stop this. - cynicism is my role on this board - But I concur on items 1-6. Listend to the 11-22 CMC interview. Sure sounded like he's good to go with everything on the scheme, coaching side. Just need players to execute better.

Here'a a question I've never thought of. Is it esier to coach in a season like this or a season like TCU or KSU. I mean there is very little drama or pressure to win the TCU game?

Reactions: cycloneworld

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So in essence, we need to be Iowa. And this came from Hassel? Perfect. Nothing to see here. Glad I didn't waste my time listening.

Need to be Iowa or Kansas State Bill Snyder era.

That doesn't mean run what they run, etc. You just need to be really fundamentally sound as a foundation if you're going to play how CMC wants to play at a place like ISU.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
my lowest level expectations for this offseason will be that myers is let go and OL duty moves to manning. then with the open position we hire an special teams coordinator.

if we are going to play iowa ball, we need a coach on the field that will tell the kicker what the hell they are doing wrong so they dont spend the whole game with the shanks. or someone on the field to tell the punter he is doing something wrong.... etc.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
[...]

Here's why the bolded works in the Big Ten and not in the Big 12...note the AVG/G column. Really hoping the ISU coaching staff figures this out sooner than later. These stats are for conference games only.

Offense​

IndexTeamGTDFGXPT2XPDXPSAFPTSAVG/G
1Ohio State848114700036846.0
2Penn State835103500027534.4
3Michigan829212810026733.4
4Purdue824112300020025.0
5Maryland823101820019224.0
6Wisconsin82462200018423.0
7Indiana82181910017121.4
8Illinois818151610017121.4
9Minnesota82092000016720.9
10Michigan State82241800016220.3