Apr 12, 2006
lots of dumb people on this website
giphy.gif

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Arkansas would be my #1 get, Cincinnati or Pittsburgh makes a lot of sense.

No, to Texas expansion unless it replaces Baylor

If we went west I'd say we give a team like Nevada the Golden ticket.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
IF expansion benefits us:

See if Mizzou is interested in a return to geographic normalcy first. Financially speaking, they may be interested in slashing travel expenses. Would be nice to have a neighbor again. If that were to happen, I suspect the SEC would move to add UNC and the ACC would replace that slot with WVU- in which case we shouldn't charge an exit fee and bid them a fond farewell with no hard feelings.

If Mizzou were to return, I wouldn't be shocked to see Nebraska swallow their pride and try to join the reunion. Colorado thinks they're a costal elite, so we won't see any interest from them unless the Pac 12 really starts to tank. If we wanted to even things out we could add BYU as football-only or promote Colorado State.

Agree- no more Texas schools & I'd much rather we expanded West.

I hate to pour water on Mizzou returning but....The Kansas Schools would say NO and NOOOOO again and again.....

I went to every game ISU played at Mizzou for 30 years and enjoyed every one of them....I would love to see Mizzou back in the conference .....& remember GO CYCLONES!

Last edited:
Reactions: agentbear

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
When talking about re-alignment I think its important to separate the discussion into 2 groups:

1) Things we like and are fun to imagine: geography, tradition, old rivalries, stadiums...
2) Thing that could actually happen: TV Money

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Zero chance the conferences go to 16 at this point. The super conferences have frankly been a disaster.
I fully realize that. The super conference thing doesn't make sense in the current landscape. I was more just thinking about how 10 years ago, Iowa State was almost the after thought of realignment.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
When talking about re-alignment I think its important to separate the discussion into 2 groups:

1) Things we like and are fun to imagine: geography, tradition, old rivalries, stadiums...
2) Thing that could actually happen: TV Money
Except it isn't gonna be TV money in the old sense. We aren't looking at cable subscribers in a metro footprint. It's gonna be streaming subscription based. That will be driven on alumni base and ticket sales/demand.

I can imagine the Big 12 streaming rights being bought up by Google or Amazon. Then all the conference games would be available through YouTube or Prime, likely with an additional subscription fee.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
BYU (football only) is not a bad add. Some of you need to let go of your Mormon hate. Did Brigham Young marry your ex girlfriends or something?
BYU and Notre Dame. Flavor variety, and expand the demographic (not geographic) footprint.

Assuming, of course, that this year has taught ND the distinct advantages of actually being in a conference.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
North Dakota State. Just out of curiosity, why is it a non-starter? They have the same amount of players drafted as ISU in the NFL and have had 1 soon to be 2 QBs drafted in the first round.

the same reason ISU is not in the Big 10. TV sets.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Salty, I love ya, but you are batsh*t crazy if you think adding ToE is anywhere close to a good idea.

Dealing with them and the parade of morons once a year is bad enough. I don’t need them anymore intertwined into ISU athletics.
To rephrase, I don’t WANT the Hoks in the Big 12, but if it happened the silver lining would be more flexibility in the non-con schedule. I would love it though if we could trade Baylor for another school. Of course, I think there is almost no chance that team would come from the Big 10.

Reactions: JM4CY

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Add AZ schools or change the ****ing name. Ten teams is great. Being named 12 with 10 teams is ****ing stupid.
Not saying AZ schools yes or no, but if it came to adding 2 more schools I've got an idea for a good name! Big 12.

Anyway say we stay at 10, what would you or others suggest as a new name (other than just keeping it Big 12)?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
BYU (football only) is not a bad add. Some of you need to let go of your Mormon hate. Did Brigham Young marry your ex girlfriends or something?

I think we talked about this before, but what does BYU do for the Big 12/Iowa State? Recruiting? Money? Please don't tell me about their stadium capacity.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
North Dakota State. Just out of curiosity, why is it a non-starter? They have the same amount of players drafted as ISU in the NFL and have had 1 soon to be 2 QBs drafted in the first round.

It’s just hilarious you think this would matter at all in realignment.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I don't think this would happen because it doesn't seem like any of the larger conferences will be adding teams, but honestly going to 20 teams instead of 16 makes a lot more sense. Two ten team divisions, round robin, winner meets in a championship game. This would be a lot cleaner. No way this happens, but I generally hate the scheduling of 14 team conferences. Ten teams per conference seems to be the magic number for anything in the future.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
...If we could have only UT, A&M and Tech you'd have the interest of pretty much every person in Texas interested in college football.

Would love to ditch BU and TCU for Nebraska and A&M. I don't hold grudges.
Stay at 10 unless other P5 conferences do something to re-align. If it ain't broke...

Big 12 not getting A&M, not going to/can't ditch Baylor, TCU nor should we at this time. Unless conferences realign in some way. So if realign, Arkansas and/or Minnesota?

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Why would you ever want Nebraska back? They are horrible at basketball, horrible at football, don't add anything with regards to academic prestige AND they left on their own accord because they essentially threw a hissy fit about the LHN.

Give me one good reason Nebraska should ever get another chance with the Big 12 if it came down to it.
Just as markets mattered a decade ago, content matters in this new era and Nebraska vs Texas, Nebraska vs OU and yes, even Nebraska vs Iowa State is decent content when compared to adding UCF, UC or any stupid Texas school not named Texas A&M. (sorry- I cannot bring myself to acknowledge NDSU in this discussion).

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
To rephrase, I don’t WANT the Hoks in the Big 12, but if it happened the silver lining would be more flexibility in the non-con schedule. I would love it though if we could trade Baylor for another school. Of course, I think there is almost no chance that team would come from the Big 10.
Ok.... I see your point.... but I’ve got my eye on you!!!;)