Conference Realignment

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Stay at 10 unless other P5 conferences do something to re-align. If it ain't broke...

Big 12 not getting A&M, not going to/can't ditch Baylor, TCU nor should we at this time. Unless conferences realign in some way. So if realign, Arkansas and/or Minnesota?
Do people up there actually watch Gopher athletics outside of hockey?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I hate to pour water on Mizzou returning but....The Kansas Schools would say NO and NOOOOO again and again.....

I went to every game ISU played at Mizzou for 30 years and enjoyed every one of them....I would love to see Mizzou back in the conference .....& remember GO CYCLONES!
Apart from the near implosion of the Big12 and Missouri off to the SEC a few years back, AND the circa 1860's Jayhawker-Misssouri feud, what would be holding it back? The re-addition of Missouri to Big 12 (provided they wanted to)?

Last edited:
Reactions: CyBobby

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Do people up there actually watch Gopher athletics outside of hockey?
Yeah I didn't know one way or other. Just throwing it out their due to proximity.

They could (Minny) perhaps benefit from a new location/conference? They like us are improving in football, in times past very relevant in bb, large metro area, recruiting ground. ISU wouldn't be most Northern School any more, yada yada.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Except it isn't gonna be TV money in the old sense. We aren't looking at cable subscribers in a metro footprint. It's gonna be streaming subscription based. That will be driven on alumni base and ticket sales/demand.

I can imagine the Big 12 streaming rights being bought up by Google or Amazon. Then all the conference games would be available through YouTube or Prime, likely with an additional subscription fee.
Kind of like espn+ now linked to Big 12 as of last year/this year?

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I don't think this would happen because it doesn't seem like any of the larger conferences will be adding teams, but honestly going to 20 teams instead of 16 makes a lot more sense. Two ten team divisions, round robin, winner meets in a championship game. This would be a lot cleaner. No way this happens, but I generally hate the scheduling of 14 team conferences. Ten teams per conference seems to be the magic number for anything in the future.

Except that's not a conference. That's two conferences with a potential end-of-season CFP qualifier agreement.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Can you just answer the question rather than attempting a poor jab/joke?

Ooh- that's hard for me. Here goes:

BYU has a rich football history, Salt Lake City television market, and a loyal fanbase. They aspire to belong at the Power 5 level and would have no problem being competitive in the Big 12. BYU was previously considered when the Big 8 originally expanded to 12. Geographically it would have made sense at the time as they would have been neighbors with Colorado. Pretty sure they'd jump at the opportunity even if it was football only.

And they have a big stadium.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

BYU has a rich football history, Salt Lake City television market, and a loyal fanbase. They aspire to belong at the Power 5 level and would have no problem being competitive in the Big 12. BYU was previously considered when the Big 8 originally expanded to 12. Geographically it would have made sense at the time as they would have been neighbors with Colorado. Pretty sure they'd jump at the opportunity even if it was football only.

And why would we/they (BYU) want to be in Big 12 in football only again? Is it the Sunday thing with their religion or something else?

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Not saying AZ schools yes or no, but if it came to adding 2 more schools I've got an idea for a good name! Big 12.

Anyway say we stay at 10, what would you or others suggest as a new name (other than just keeping it Big 12)?
There is no name I could give you that would be roundly supported. In fact, whatever I suggest will get blasted. And there is also no name that exists that is as absurd as a numeric name with FEWER teams in it than that number. As stupid as Leaders & Legends is it would still be better than Big 12 (errrrrrrr, 10).

Conference of American Universities (CAU) "The Conference", as in THE conference.

Something directional / regional is not advised unless you have something cool for your name, Pacific Ocean (Pac 12), Atlantic Ocean (ACC), even mountains (Mountain West). That said, Big West is still better than Big 12 if it's ten teams.

And to clarify, I really like the name Big 12 if it includes 12 teams. My dream scenario is poach two legit P5 teams and keep the name and logo which I also really like.

Reactions: t-noah

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

BYU seems like it would be a huge diva/ego addition. We already have two of those in our conference. We don’t need another.

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
We need two more teams and get back to divisions. Want to see 4 non conference games like the early 2000. If Nebraska and Missouri wants to cam back that would be fine.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
We need two more teams and get back to divisions. Want to see 4 non conference games like the early 2000. If Nebraska and Missouri wants to cam back that would be fine.
I like ten teams and would be fine sticking with it but I agree...something is really perfect with (2) six team divisions playing a legit championship game. I liked our mini Big 8 we had in those days.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Ok, I dont know if or when anything will happen, but one thing I have thought about especially after the Knight Commission Review this is something I could see.
The Big 12 and the Pac 12 could merge in some way. The big 12 could pick off 2 to 4 teams from the Pac 12. I dont see the Big 12 adding G5 teams, they will stay at 10 because G5 teams do not add enough value to go above 10 teams.

But one interesting thing, with this new Knight review:
Say a new governing board is developed.
They decide to go to 4 power conferences, of about 16, with pods or divisions
Those 4 conference championships is considered the first round of the playoff, others continue to get bowl bids.

Now with this they conferences work together with the new manager to come up with the best solution with the least amount of movement.
This is just an example but could go something like this.
B1G gives Rutgers to ACC
Big 12 gives WVU to ACC
Big 12 gives ISU, KU, KSU to B1G
Big 12 Gives OK, OKSt to SEC
Rest of Big 12 AND Pac 12 merge.

Or CO could go from the Pac12 to B1G and move some others around.
I believe some of the TX schools are a package deal because of state legislatures, Same with KU and KSU, and OK and OKSt.
I dont think KSU is up to B1Gs requirements though. Dont dislike me, this is just a theory, I think this is a long shot, but I could see something like this as a possibility.

A lot is going to depend on what these next rounds of negotiations with all the streaming available and coming out of the pandemic situation looks like. And what the Big 12 expects, as I think we are the first conference up for negotiations and our GOR is set to expire in a couple years.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Ok, I dont know if or when anything will happen, but one thing I have thought about especially after the Knight Commission Review this is something I could see.
The Big 12 and the Pac 12 could merge in some way. The big 12 could pick off 2 to 4 teams from the Pac 12. I dont see the Big 12 adding G5 teams, they will stay at 10 because G5 teams do not add enough value to go above 10 teams.

But one interesting thing, with this new Knight review:
Say a new governing board is developed.
They decide to go to 4 power conferences, of about 16, with pods or divisions
Those 4 conference championships is considered the first round of the playoff, others continue to get bowl bids.

Now with this they conferences work together with the new manager to come up with the best solution with the least amount of movement.
This is just an example but could go something like this.
B1G gives Rutgers to ACC
Big 12 gives WVU to ACC
Big 12 gives ISU, KU, KSU to B1G
Big 12 Gives OK, OKSt to SEC
Rest of Big 12 AND Pac 12 merge.

Or CO could go from the Pac12 to B1G and move some others around.
I believe some of the TX schools are a package deal because of state legislatures, Same with KU and KSU, and OK and OKSt.
I dont think KSU is up to B1Gs requirements though. Dont dislike me, this is just a theory, I think this is a long shot, but I could see something like this as a possibility.

A lot is going to depend on what these next rounds of negotiations with all the streaming available and coming out of the pandemic situation looks like. And what the Big 12 expects, as I think we are the first conference up for negotiations and our GOR is set to expire in a couple years.

You stoned

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
There is no name I could give you that would be roundly supported. In fact, whatever I suggest will get blasted. And there is also no name that exists that is as absurd as a numeric name with FEWER teams in it than that number. As stupid as Leaders & Legends is it would still be better than Big 12 (errrrrrrr, 10).

Conference of American Universities (CAU) "The Conference", as in THE conference.

Something directional / regional is not advised unless you have something cool for your name, Pacific Ocean (Pac 12), Atlantic Ocean (ACC), even mountains (Mountain West). That said, Big West is still better than Big 12 if it's ten teams.

And to clarify, I really like the name Big 12 if it includes 12 teams. My dream scenario is poach two legit P5 teams and keep the name and logo which I also really like.
...Haha, true that! This board is simply amazing.

Yes and all of this I'm sure they thought of when they finally got to 10. No good answer. Keep it at Big 12, especially now while things are still in flux.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

BYU would be just as good as the Arizona teams in most ways. Logistics, ability to compete, and all the numbers are fine. Even no play on Sundays is fine.

Some of the cultural fit things are a legit question mark though. I don't think Ejim flipped the bird and got ejected for no good reason in that game if you get my drift.

During first round of realignment Pac teams weren't an option. If we expanded again 2 of AZ/ASU/BYU would make most sense now that Pac seems to be the least lucrative $ per team. There was a time Louisville made some sense but it came and went. Cincy is probably next best available after those three mountain time zone programs. Cincy in a real football conference could actually build quite a program long term and hoops is obvious. They could potentially make up for 1/12 of pot they reduce, high population state in region of sports fans as well.

I think 10 is fine but there really is a perception issue with fewer teams. It's always expected that our 10 must achieve the same or more than the other leagues that have 14 or 15 teams. It's idiotic but it will always be the case.

Help Support Us

Become a patron