Conference Realignment

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
Article

I know it has been touched on in several threads lately and thought it deserved it's own. I was lurking on a few other Big XII boards and there are a lot of interesting ideas out there. Who if any should we add? Maybe the whole thing needs a shake up. What y'all think?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I honestly don't think it should change at this point. The round robin (and double for basketball) are great as-is.

The paradigm has changed over the last 10 years and we are getting away from conferences simply needing a larger footprint to drive cable dollars and getting back to the revenue being driven by fanbases and tv ratings. We do fine in those contexts. If anything some of these larger conferences might start to feel the weight of bring too large and unwieldy with less of a tight-knit association due to not playing each other as often.

If nebraska/missouri wanted to come back, I'd consider taking them because they were a historical fit. I'm not all that interested in spreading things out more or going beyond 12

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't want expansion. I think if it has come to it, the B12 will poach PAC and I'm still not sure the door is shut on ACC schools. FSU was a wild rumor that could be brought back into play.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
10 is the perfect number. Round robin in football and basketball. Look at the SEC and B10 where 1 division is significantly better than the other in football year in and year out. Moving from the P5 to 6 smaller "power" conferences would be ideal IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Only reason to change would be money. Adding 2 teams doesn't bring in more money unless things change.

Reactions: agentbear

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
10 is the best number. But if I had to pick, I’d want to see WV go, I don’t have anything against them other than they are too far away. Otherwise, keep it the way it is. Baylor can also go.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think the original setup of the Big 12 was too bad. But I enjoy the round robin we enjoy in basketball and football now. Had you asked me 4-5 years ago if I wanted Big 12 expansion I'd have said yes in a heartbeat. Not anymore I don't think.