Breaking: Percy Gibson is a Cyclone

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I actually came across some Hawkeye posts when googling Gibson and I have to disagree. At least on the page I was on, I didn't see any posts hating Fred and actually saw one which said they liked him, another that they want his rolodex. Sure, there are always going to be extremists but that's true in any fanatical religion, including Hawkism.

Also, as I work for the Univ. of Iowa, I actually have a sense that they know ISU hit a home run with Fred and that we've jumped ahead of their program.

You were on the wrong message board, or you just got lucky. Most of hackeyereport thinks Fred is cheating or doing something wrong. They won't admit they are envious, but you can tell by the constant ragging on his recruiting style. He amassed a pretty solid bunch of talent in one summer and they are still struggling to ink guys. You better believe that if mad francis had brought in 2 or 3 transfers last summer, they'd think he was a genius, but since no one really wants to go play for that guy in carver ******** arena, he has to dig deeper to find guys like Hubbard, who they can justify giving a scholly to by wrapping some redemption story around it.

Plus, Fred is just so dreamy. :twitcy:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Question: how can the Number One player on the Number One team in Michigan, All State and All Detroit, be rated only Three Stars on rivals.com?
Because it's a relatively down year for talent in Michigan. We're not talking Glenn Rice, Terry Mills or Chris Weber here.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I read somewhere that Izzo questioned Gibson's versatility, for whatever that might mean.

I think that's not a factor for us because of the immediate need for more bigs.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Still, I don't like how this is working out. A high school player? Fred needs to sign more transfers! Surely there are some more looking, now that it's the end of the school year...

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
While this is true for some hok fans/ tavern hawks, there are a lot of Iowa fans who are realistic and moderate about their takes. They are pleased with Fran's *coaching* but a little concerned about recruiting. They think Fred is doing a damn fine job of the latter, and are pretty sure they'll be a step behind for at least the next couple DECADES.

Fixed that one. Your welcome.

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO
I think you're exactly right. The students at UI are predominantly from the Chicago area and are here because they couldn't get into the Univ. of Illinois. I sense that this leads to an inferiority complex for which they compensate by clinging to the fable that their university is the best in the country in all respects. This also complex also causes their anal sphincters to enlarge, in part because they have more to get rid of than most people.

I'm very familiar with the Illinois to Iowa student migration. It's the lemming effect.

Illinois requires a 27 on the ACT. They tried to increase it to 29 but got sued by Illinois parents, and lots of U of I alums, and had to back down. Illinois' in-state tuition/room/board costs in 4-5 of the best colleges at the U of I are nearly as much as Iowa's out of state fees.

Yes, lots of Chicago suburbanites attend Iowa. The number is not over 50%. It runs in the high 30% range and Iowa is trying to cut it back. ISU has lower fees and is actively recruiting the suburbs.

Even kids who are accepted at Illinois come to Iowa. Besides Iowa, and ISU, the suburbanites head to Purdue, IU, Miami of Ohio and many others. Illinois and California are two states that cannot educate their high school grads. There aren't adequate openings at the in-state colleges for the large population of high school grads.

The Illinois kids in Iowa root for their colleges of choice, not the U of I. Champaign and Urbana aren't the greatest of towns.

I wish ISU played Illinois. It would be nice to recruit Chicago and the suburbs.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I think you're exactly right. The students at UI are predominantly from the Chicago area and are here because they couldn't get into the Univ. of Illinois. I sense that this leads to an inferiority complex for which they compensate by clinging to the fable that their university is the best in the country in all respects. This also complex also causes their anal sphincters to enlarge, in part because they have more to get rid of than most people.

I'm very familiar with the Illinois to Iowa student migration. It's the lemming effect.

Illinois requires a 27 on the ACT. They tried to increase it to 29 but got sued by Illinois parents, and lots of U of I alums, and had to back down. Illinois' in-state tuition/room/board costs in 4-5 of the best colleges at the U of I are nearly as much as Iowa's out of state fees.

Yes, lots of Chicago suburbanites attend Iowa. The number is not over 50%. It runs in the high 30% range and Iowa is trying to cut it back. ISU has lower fees and is actively recruiting the suburbs.

Even kids who are accepted at Illinois come to Iowa. Besides Iowa, and ISU, the suburbanites head to Purdue, IU, Miami of Ohio and many others. Illinois and California are two states that cannot educate their high school grads. There aren't adequate openings at the in-state colleges for the large population of high school grads.

The Illinois kids in Iowa root for their colleges of choice, not the U of I. Champaign and Urbana aren't the greatest of towns.

I wish ISU played Illinois. It would be nice to recruit Chicago and the suburbs.

I beg to differ on C-U not being the greatest of towns. What are you comparing to? The campus is as nice as ISU's, they have a great downtown area not too far from the football stadium and I have always had a great time there.

As for surburban kids, I would say 30% seems accurate, at least when I spent some time there (freshman year before I came to my senses and transferred to ISU). I also was accepted into UIUC out of high school and only got a 26 ACT score so I think it's probably a bit more subjective than some hard line standard. I'm sure they also consider GPA/core classes/etc. If the stereotype is the same now as 20 years ago, kids go to Iowa to party. They go to places like Illinois and ISU to get a good education.

Help Support Us

Become a patron