Blake Griffin Returning to OU

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I know this is old news but hadn't seen it discussed. I was listening to Gotleib on the Pulse blasting him for coming back, wow... Basically said it was the biggest mistake of his life and how could anyone pass up the guaranteed money...

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I can't blame the kid for staying or going. I can't see blasting him for any decision. He must like OU, good for him. I do think it's weird to pass on millions of dollars but it's his decision.

Definitly not good for us next season.

Cyc1ones

Mar 9, 2008
All I have to say on this is....Watch out for OU next season....they return 4 starters and replace David Godbold with Willie Warren the best incoming SF in the country. And replace Longar Longar with Orlando Allen. Watch Out!!

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Wow, OU is going to be very scary next year. Griffin and Warren could be the top scoring duo in the country.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
That's really not fair. OU gets talented, athletic and muscular freshmen to come in and help right away.

Our freshmen will take 3 years to physically develope. I wish just once we could bring in someone about 6'8" and 250lbs, and just looks like a man.

It's amazing watching Big XII games and you realize physically, we don't belong.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Wasn't he blasting him because he thought Griffin, after suffering not one, but two injuries (one of which to his knee), that if you have the talent, you should get your money before being done with the NBA?

I obviously don't have a personal bias either way. OU will be really good next year, if they can find a consistent perimeter threat, and you gotta love when a kid wants to come back to school; but I can't blame any kid good enough to be given guaranteed dollars for the career he wants.

Having Griffin back also helps the conference, as I think the conference COULD be weaker next year depending on all defections...

IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2007
Ames
That's really not fair. OU gets talented, athletic and muscular freshmen to come in and help right away.

Our freshmen will take 3 years to physically develope. I wish just once we could bring in someone about 6'8" and 250lbs, and just looks like a man.

It's amazing watching Big XII games and you realize physically, we don't belong.

Brackins and Lucca came in with pretty decent size for freshman

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Wasn't he blasting him because he thought Griffin, after suffering not one, but two injuries (one of which to his knee), that if you have the talent, you should get your money before being done with the NBA?

Pretty much. With Griffin it is a BIG risk to come back, especially when he is a projected top 15 pick. If you get hurt in the NBA you get the best medical care possible PLUS the money. The players association will always pick up the tab if you choose to go back to school as well.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006

I obviously don't have a personal bias either way. OU will be really good next year, if they can find a consistent perimeter threat, and you gotta love when a kid wants to come back to school; but I can't blame any kid good enough to be given guaranteed dollars for the career he wants.

Having Griffin back also helps the conference, as I think the conference COULD be weaker next year depending on all defections...
Kansas-down a little, still good
Texas-Depends on Augustine, still good
Baylor-probably better, depends if Jerrells stays
Oklahoma-A lot better
A&M-Losing Jordan and Jones will hurt, probably slightly worse.
Tech-Slightly worse w/o Zeno
Iowa State-Hopefully better
Colorado-<-->
Missouri- On the upswing
Kansas State-Worse, but still tourney likely
Oklahoma State-Better, depends on coach.
Nebraska-Worse without Maric.
I think the big 12 will be about the same, with some teams on their way up, (Missouri, OU, Iowa State), and some coming back to earth(KSU, A&M)

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
The talent at Power forward is getting to be pretty deep this year. If he waits a year he may go even higher. Still hard to pass up the money now though.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
The talent at Power forward is getting to be pretty deep this year. If he waits a year he may go even higher. Still hard to pass up the money now though.
NBA draft express has him #1 overall next year, if he doesn't get hurt, he could gain 3-4 million dollars.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

There are only 2 or 3 freshman that fit that description each year...so a lot of schools wish they had one of them.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
This kind of surprises me for his attitude. Whenever I watched him he always looked like he had terrible sportsmanship and was a punk.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
This kind of surprises me for his attitude. Whenever I watched him he always looked like he had terrible sportsmanship and was a punk.

Yeah, he does give that impression. It's seems like most every time he had a big blocked shot or a big dunk, he give a staredown to someone on the other team.