Big 12/Big Monday Schedule

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
Kansas and OSU had 4 last year. KU seems like a lock for 4 each year. I could see ISU and Texas getting 3 each, and OU, KSU and BU splitting the remaining 6.

Whats your opinion two coach? Ku a lock for four big Monday games?

:pconfused:

Last edited:

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
2 @ home, 1 @ Hilton!
I want the KU-ISU games to be on a weekend so I can go to them. I am going to try to get hold of some tickets to the game @Hilton this year if possible. Monday nights are no good for road trips.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm guessing these are good possibilities (locations not specified):
Kansas-Texas
Kansas-Iowa State
Kansas-Kansas State
Texas-OU

Oklahoma State & Baylor are bound to get at least one (they'd both be expected to be down, but are both returning tournament qualifiers).

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Here's your downer question for the day: Is getting a game on Big Monday really that big of a deal any more? We get lots of games on ESPN and it seems like ESPNU is even getting to be pretty commonplace on cable/satellite packages. Once you get below a certain age-range, is it really perceived as this big prestigious showcase anymore? I know coming from just an ISU/Big 12 fan standpoint it doesn't really have much bearing on how excited I am for specific match-ups.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think we're about due for Gameday in Ames, but the problem is that KU is almost never a Saturday game when it's in Ames.

I can recall multiple Saturday games for KU in Hilton. Last win for ISU was a Saturday, Craig Brackins big game was a Saturday.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Here's your downer question for the day: Is getting a game on Big Monday really that big of a deal any more? We get lots of games on ESPN and it seems like ESPNU is even getting to be pretty commonplace on cable/satellite packages. Once you get below a certain age-range, is it really perceived as this big prestigious showcase anymore? I know coming from just an ISU/Big 12 fan standpoint it doesn't really have much bearing on how excited I am for specific match-ups.

I agree. The game would be scheduled anyway. Now-a-days it's going to be televised, too. What does it matter?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I agree. The game would be scheduled anyway. Now-a-days it's going to be televised, too. What does it matter?

I think there are still some things that would be a big deal. Gameday would get me excited. Getting one of the national CBS games would get me excited. But I think the luster has kind of worn off those weeknight ESPN games.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
ESPNU requires you to get the extra sports package for many cable providers.

cemarclone

Feb 6, 2014
I know last year this was released the first week of August...any word on when it will be released this year?

When will espn announce its full schedule. All the Big 12 games are on ESPN channels this year. Kind of thinking that the majority of ISU's games will make ESPN and ESPN2.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
ESPNU requires you to get the extra sports package for many cable providers.

Yea, but it's still better than it was even 2-3 years ago. I know it's standard on DirecTV and I'm pretty sure it is on Dish as well. ESPN is still better, but it's not like people are still wondering WTF ESPNU is.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I think ISU@KU or UT@KU is XII Gameday this year. KU@ISU next year when we have more talent/hype than this year.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Here are the figures for this past season's Big Monday games in terms of number of viewers.

Kansas @ Iowa State: 1.5 mil
Baylor @ Kansas: 1.1 mil
Oklahoma State @ Oklahoma: 1.3 mil
Iowa State @ Oklahoma State: 1.4 mil
Kansas @ Kansas State: 1.4 mil
Oklahoma State @ Baylor: 1.0 mil
Oklahoma @ Kansas: 1.7 mil
Kansas State @ Oklahoma State: 1.3 mil

For some context, here's a couple more games:

Iowa State vs. Kansas (Big 12 semifinal on ESPNU): 400k
Iowa State vs. Baylor (Big 12 championship on ESPN): 1.7 mil

Looking at all ESPNU games for all conferences, I didn't find a single game with over 700k viewers, and only one with more than 600k (Clemson @ Syracuse on a Sunday night). In fact, it looks like the second-most viewed game on ESPNU all season last year was Iowa State @ Kansas, with 450k.

Considering all this, I do think ESPN is a huge cut above ESPNU.

Here's the website I viewed: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...mbers-for-every-game-of-the-2013-14-season/3/