Big 12/Big Monday Schedule

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Was curious about our record for conference games played on a Monday...

2013-14
Jan 13: KU @ home, L
Feb 8: @ OSU, W (3OT)
Feb 10: @ WVU, L

2012-13
Feb 4: OU @ home, W
Feb 25: @ KU, L (OT)

2011-12
Feb 13: @ BU, L

And then we have to go all the way back to 2005-06 to find another Monday game. Doesn't really mean anything, just thought I would share...

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
We only played on there twice this past year - once in January and once in early February. I wonder how much it actually helps versus Hoiberg trying to find some positive to it.

At the same time, it's not like we only get 2 days to prepare and the other team gets a week. Both teams that play each other on Big Monday are coming off of Saturday games.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
At the same time, it's not like we only get 2 days to prepare and the other team gets a week. Both teams that play each other on Big Monday are coming off of Saturday games.

Agreed. Which is why I don't like the road games. Throwing in the travel is what makes it so difficult.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Agreed. Which is why I don't like the road games. Throwing in the travel is what makes it so difficult.

I would bet that most of the teams playing on Monday travel either on Saturday or Monday so there is generally travel in the short turnaround whether you are the Monday home team or Monday road team.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I would bet that most of the teams playing on Monday travel either on Saturday or Monday so there is generally travel in the short turnaround whether you are the Monday home team or Monday road team.

Isn't there a rule that you have to be in town for road games the day before? I know ISU always travels on Sunday for their Monday road games.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Isn't there a rule that you have to be in town for road games the day before? I know ISU always travels on Sunday for their Monday road games.

What I meant is they have to travel for one of the two games so either way travel occurs at one time or another during the short window between games.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
We only played on there twice this past year - once in January and once in early February. I wonder how much it actually helps versus Hoiberg trying to find some positive to it.
It makes no difference at all other than for a coach to be able to say "you've played tough games two days apart before" and even then it's really only a psychological boost if you actually won both games. Not much benefit to saying "you did it before" if you lost the 2nd game. They are just reminded of how they failed at it.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Yep. And this also makes it really not applicable for ncaa tourney experience since you don't have to deal with travel in between the two days of ncaa tourney games.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Wait... So twocoach and I are of similar thought on this? <shudders>

I take back everything I said. I need a shower.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I agree.

I'd be surprised with any other GameDay combo from Big 12 this season, since schedule is set this month ... by the time game day itself rolls around, ESPN may wish ISU was involved.

That's what I'm hoping.

I am guessing 2015-16 will be the season that we finally get College Gameday.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I agree.

I'd be surprised with any other GameDay combo from Big 12 this season, since schedule is set this month ... by the time game day itself rolls around, ESPN may wish ISU was involved.

That's what I'm hoping.
We would have had a great chance if Tejas wouldn't have pulled in Turner, I think.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames

I'd rather get the football version to Ames but settling for basketball isn't bad.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
It wouldn't surprise me at all if GameDay was @Hilton this year if the KU game is on a Saturday. KU is due for a home College Gameday this year, however. We'll see soon enough.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
It wouldn't surprise me at all if GameDay was @Hilton this year if the KU game is on a Saturday. KU is due for a home College Gameday this year, however. We'll see soon enough.

The smart money for the Big 12's best chance is on UT @ KU for this season.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I agree.

That's what I'm hoping.

I know it's only August, but does anyone else think it's setting up perfectly for Texas to have an overhyped, disappointing season?

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I know it's only August, but does anyone else think it's setting up perfectly for Texas to have an overhyped, disappointing season?
I think they'll definitely underperform what their preseason expectations will be, but I don't see them falling out of the top half of the conference.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think they'll definitely underperform what their preseason expectations will be, but I don't see them falling out of the top half of the conference.

Yea, that would be tough. It just seems like their expectations are built on this shaky foundation of "returning core that possibly just overachieved last season" + "1-and-done freshman" + "historically inconsistent coach" = guaranteed top 2 finish. What?