All FB coaching rumors and speculation

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Honest question, the prior years Campbell said he was committed to ISU, and he turned down big offers. This year, it sounds like he was seriously considering the USC job. Many on here thought that would be unlikely from a culture fit.

What has changed? Are Campbell's days numbered?

If someone offers you double your salary you at least listen. If you don't I question your intelligence.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Honest question, the prior years Campbell said he was committed to ISU, and he turned down big offers. This year, it sounds like he was seriously considering the USC job. Many on here thought that would be unlikely from a culture fit.

You haven't been listening to what Campbell has been saying ever since he got here.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

so dumb.

we really don’t know how seriously he considered usc. to be honest, it always made some sense for him to look a bit more seriously at jobs this year. The big senior class. The bit of a disappointment of a season. And the uncertainty of the conference. And maybe he had a bit of a 6 year itch. I’m thankful a much better fit for usc came along so we will never know how close he came to taking that job.

for all we know after this, he might just realize he is where he wants to be. Or maybe he continues looking for a exit. We don’t know. I think both are possible.

in all honesty, other than the more serious than usual interest in usc, this years job carosoul was pretty similar to every other year. Schools perceived as better jobs than Iowa state wanted him (Florida state, Tennessee, Washington) and he wasn’t interested. But this year a couple of elite jobs came up but there were better options for those schools. I’m very thankful that ND hired freeman as DC last year, otherwise we might not have been so lucky.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Seems like Campbell is determined to move on. OU, USC, Va, Va tech, LSU, ND, TCU. I hope Pollard has a backup plan, cause it’s only a matter of time till CMC is gone. Honestly, I am beginning to lose admiration for him with the nonstop interviews.

1536867972-pinkman.gif

• Haha
Reactions: cycfan and cygrads

sj4

Jun 12, 2012
It seems obvious that Riley left Oklahoma in large part so he avoids having to play in the SEC and all that goes with that.

So it would follow that any coach who is thinking about taking the OU job that that is going to weigh on their minds as well.

In five years Riley won 85% of his games at OU. Is there anybody here that thinks that OU is going to win 85% of their games in their first five years in the SEC?

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
Yeah a lot of people don’t seem to understand that. Or that the media just loves to link him to jobs because he’s good and assumes any good coach would just use Iowa State as a stepping stone. Just because a fan base wants him, doesn’t mean he’s contacting them trying to leave.
A lot of these journalists are just slinging mud at the wall hoping it will stick. CMC isn’t talking to every school that has an opening. They truly don’t understand the man and there are only 2or 3 schools that he would even leave for.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
With Jamie's cancer diagnosis and admission to the public, it's entirely possible that JP and CMC will be working out details to an extension later but for now, Campbell is more worried about JP concentrating on his treatment instead of his extension possibilities. THAT seems more in line to the Matt Campbell we have come to know. He's in the coaching profession. It doesn't carry many guarantees for long term success at one university. It only makes sense to inquire about other positions opening up. That's just the way of the world. ISU is not the queen on the chessboard of college football. Nor are we a pawn. We're more like a rook...or a bishop. We can sometimes make bold moves but we have limits. My opinion of Matt Campbell is based on what he has already done for this university...not what he may do if he decides to leave someday. He has that choice. I hope he stays for a good long time. But I am done worrying about something I can't control. So I'll just enjoy while he's here.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I think most of us agree that the OU shift to the SEC was a factor in Lincoln Riley's decision to take a "step down" to USC. And he was probably not in the loop.

I don't think he was afraid of the SEC, although we all agree it would have been tougher sledding. I think he just saw $$$ and a chance to dominate a conference that has been down.

Maybe the same for CMC, just opposite. The Big 12 will remain an A5 conference (I find it hilarious that they are already putting that fact into B12 commercials), seriously. Has anyone ever associated the word "Autonomous" with a conference before?

CMC might see the chance to be the Dabo Sweeney of the new Big 12. Get ISU to be the bad ass ***** that rarely loses in conference.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think most of us agree that the OU shift to the SEC was a factor in Lincoln Riley's decision to take a "step down" to USC. And he was probably not in the loop.

I don't think he was afraid of the SEC, although we all agree it would have been tougher sledding. I think he just saw $$$ and a chance to dominate a conference that has been down.

Maybe the same for CMC, just opposite. The Big 12 will remain an A5 conference (I find it hilarious that they are already putting that fact into B12 commercials), seriously. Has anyone ever associated the word "Autonomous" with a conference before?

CMC might see the chance to be the Dabo Sweeney of the new Big 12. Get ISU to be the bad ass ***** that rarely loses in conference.

Umm yes people have lol. Autonomous 5 is the proper name for the media coined “Power 5”.

Reactions: scyclonekid

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
In five years Riley won 85% of his games at OU. Is there anybody here that thinks that OU is going to win 85% of their games in their first five years in the SEC?

Is there anybody here who thinks Oklahoma will win 85% of their remaining games in the big 12?

Last edited:
Reactions: davegilbertson