All FB coaching rumors and speculation

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Please tell me that people here don’t think Campbell turned down UW, USC, supposedly OU but that he’s thinking about UVA? Seriously…

Campbell took the ISU job, so maybe he likes a fixer upper.

Historically, UVA is a .500 program, while ISU has been a .300 program pre-Campbell. Virginia is also an outstanding academic school. So not sure the perspective of folks putting down UVA as a possible Campbell move.

IMO Campbell may be at a new reality career wise. The jobs many people think he covets may have their guy for the next 5-7 years- ND, OSU, PSU, UM, MSU.

So he may widen his list of schools he would leave ISU for to prove he can re-build a 2nd program and improve his resume for the next time ND, OSU, Etc. open up. After all, he is still in his early 40's so one of those jobs he covets will be an option down the road.

So a program like UVA might make a lot of sense over the next couple years.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Historically, UVA is a .500 program, while ISU has been a .300 program pre-Campbell. Virginia is also an outstanding academic school. So not sure the perspective of folks putting down UVA as a possible Campbell move.

IMO Campbell may be at a new reality career wise. The jobs many people think he covets may have their guy for the next 5-7 years- ND, OSU, PSU, UM, MSU.

So he may widen his list of schools he would leave ISU for to prove he can re-build a 2nd program and improve his resume for the next time ND, OSU, Etc. open up. After all, he is still in his early 40's so one of those jobs he covets will be an option down the road.

Your logic makes no sense whatsoever. None.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

The likelihood of turnaround success at two P5s, IMO, is extremely low. More opportunistic would be to take our gravy train to extreme highs. That'd be much better on his resume.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio

I would be very surprised if he took this job.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

First, people need to cross MSU off the list of jobs Campbell is interested in. He already said no thanks a couple years ago when he was less in demand.

Those schools may have their guys for a while, but Day to the NFL, Freeman flopping, those are all possibilities that will probably be apparent within 2-3 years. Campbell can bide his time at ISU and see if one of those things happens.

Honestly, ISU provides him some cover if he underwhelms record-wise. Most people just assume this is still a bad job and it's really hard to win here. People don't really think that about UVA. They are two years removed from a NY6 bowl, have a decent history and name brand.

I think the problem with your argument is that if all of this was true it probably would've made more sense to go to UW.

• Agree
Reactions: Stormin and Cloneon

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Your logic makes no sense whatsoever. None.
I don’t see how taking a lateral job would help him move up to one of the elite jobs later. If anything I think it would chew up years of his career and make it harder to get a big job later. That’s assuming Virginia is a lateral job, at this point I think it’s a demotion.

Not to mention, you don’t flirt with the USC, OU, and Washington jobs, possibly turning down all 3, then take the Virginia job. That would support the narrative that Campbell was really not a candidate for those jobs. Campbell to Virginia would be the nuttiest move yet in this cycle.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Pretty sure the coaching world saw ISU as the ultimate fixer upper

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
If I am CMC and wanted to leave ISU Id personally go Nebraska. That is the job with the highest upside. Big Ten East and SEC are just no go, too stiff of competition, being a really good coach only gets you so far, the ACC and Pac 12 being stuck on the coasts isnt that appealing. Makes me wonder if we can dodge Nebraska opening next year ISU might be a decent place for him to stick around, all depends on his family situation though is my guess, I do think CMC is a bit frustrated with his ability to recruit at Iowa St., just a darn uphill climb no matter how good of a coach he is.

Interesting that CMC Dad was in a similar postion on the high school level with a dominate team in the same city that apparently recruited pretty heavily, granted Iowa isnt dominant but they are darn consistent, Ferentz has been a heck of a coach for them.

I know you would laugh but if college football doesnt get its house in order by going decentralized I could see CMC walking away and going FCS, like a Brookings or a Youngstown. Seems like it would be a good place if you are just interested in the mentor and football strategy aspect.

So much depends on his immediate family on all this, especially when kids are young, as a parent with young kids I can tell you no career or geographical moves are happening in my house till kids are older.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
If I am CMC and wanted to leave ISU Id personally go Nebraska. That is the job with the highest upside. Big Ten East and SEC are just no go, too stiff of competition, being a really good coach only gets you so far, the ACC and Pac 12 being stuck on the coasts isnt that appealing. Makes me wonder if we can dodge Nebraska opening next year ISU might be a decent place for him to stick around, all depends on his family situation though is my guess, I do think CMC is a bit frustrated with his ability to recruit at Iowa St., just a darn uphill climb no matter how good of a coach he is.

Interesting that CMC Dad was in a similar postion on the high school level with a dominate team in the same city that apparently recruited pretty heavily, granted Iowa isnt dominant but they are darn consistent, Ferentz has been a heck of a coach for them.

I know you would laugh but if college football doesnt get its house in order by going decentralized I could see CMC walking away and going FCS, like a Brookings or a Youngstown. Seems like it would be a good place if you are just interested in the mentor and football strategy aspect.

So much depends on his immediate family on all this, especially when kids are young, as a parent with young kids I can tell you no career or geographical moves are happening in my house till kids are older.
How does Nebraska have the highest upside? Sure, They have a big fanbase and facilities. However, they live in a smaller state population wise and are the furthest school from their conference recruiting hotbeds(Ohio/Mich, East coast). They will be a tough rebuild if Frost doesn't turn it around soon.

At this point recruits coming in don't know about thing about Nebraska being a top dog in football. Their name isn't what it use to be. Even as someone in my 20s I have a hard time believing Nebraska was/is a blue blood.

And CMC getting upset of the uphill battle to recruit to ISU?

Right now ISU has the 24th best class in the nation for '22, 3rd in the Big 12, and 1st in the new big12.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009

USC was a fixer upper with countless advantages over UVA. And fairly certain Campbell doesn’t consider his job at ISU to be finished. If he wants to boost his resume more, he can do it here by stringing together more 9+ win seasons, beating Iowa, winning a conference championship, etc. I’m also not his resume needs more boosting given the rumors from this recent coaching carousel. If he leaves for a job like UVA, he’s desperate to get out of Ames.

Reactions: tsirnickesqcy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Notre Dame got their man, and I dont blame CMC for wanting to go there, not being able to incorporate his Faith fully into his coaching would be very frustrating.

I doubt he’s at all limited at Iowa stste with his faith.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron