All FB coaching rumors and speculation

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Just trying to set the table so we can transition to better things in this glorious holiday season. Like bowl game wins and recruiting successes. :cool: Most importantly, I am not leaving no matter who the head coach is. I am a ISU supporter for life. Please, not sick supporter type jokes. :) So, everyone relax! I know deep down all of you were afraid I would leave if CMC did. Your WORRIES are unwarranted. Merry Christmas!

This is the best news of the day! You are fulfilling your life's calling to de nut cup this fan base. Whoever the coach is going forward we will continue to desperately need your leadership.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This.

Difference with many coaches is that they’d consider taking any job that was higher profile or paid more money. Campbell has a short list of ND and OSU. He’s already supposedly turned down USC for god’s sake and look what they just paid Riley.

Would be devastated if Campbell left, but really could not blame him. The ND job does not come up often. And there is no question he left this football program better than he found it.

I think it would be a god damned disaster if he leaves. A ******* disaster for Iowa State.

But even though don’t think he’s been anything near disloyal to Iowa state. Would I prefer it if he never listened to anyone else? Sure. But that’s not realistic. I’m confident that he’s turned down plenty. And while he would not turn down ND, that’s understandable.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
As a long time veteran of message boards I can tell you that when people go on a message board and say things like "Campbell has let ND know he's interested" they are completely full of ****. Anyone who believes anything like that they read on a message board should not be on message boards. Matt Campbell is not sharing info like that with someone who would post it on a message board. These guys are professionals and they and the people close to them don't give a rip what message boards think. The crap that gets slung on these boards is so laughable it hurts.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I think it would be a god damned disaster if he leaves. A ******* disaster for Iowa State.

But even though don’t think he’s been anything near disloyal to Iowa state. Would I prefer it if he never listened to anyone else? Sure. But that’s not realistic. I’m confident that he’s turned down plenty. And while he would not turn down ND, that’s understandable.
Case in point.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Bottom line. Campbell will take ND if offered. The fact that there is no announcement means it is coming down to Fickell and Freeman. No way that Notre Dame lets them both slip away. But that is just my opinion. They might take Freeman, protect their recruits and players today. If it doesn’t work out they can always pull Campbell away. Whenever. I think they are pushing for Fickell right now. I think Campbell is the fallback which means we wait.

We are in so much better shape than we were when Rhoads was hired and even when Campbell was hired.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
None of us has any actual prediction of if or when CMC leaves or if he is comfortable with a long term commitment ala Snyder, Ferentz, Gundy or whoever. FWIW, by ND silence at the moment, I think they are waiting for the CFP to play out so the Cinncy coach can do the right thing and coach his team all the way in respect to him and his players. If ND is going to hire the young DC, they could have done that immediately in order to retain recruits and potential transfers. I also think that a little of the luster of CMC going to a top 10 team was diminished by the 7-5 record along with falling from a preseason top 10 ranking to no ranking.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Sounds like he is staying.... Mutual Interest means its Notre Dame, I would love to visit out there and see what you are all about, and see if I can smell a snake or is this is the place to be now or in the future.

OldCurmudgeon

Nov 25, 2017
Yep and it looks like it could occur in Ames

If it does, it does. I'm not going to begrudge the man for chasing his dream job. It's then JP's job to find the next HC and hope they're as good as Campbell.

Would I rather Matt stay? Hell, yes. Am I concerned about how this team will perform if he leaves? Hell, yes. About as concerned as I was, and now am cautiously optimistic, about the hire of Otz. But I'm only going to worry about the things I can control, and this isn't one of them.

Reactions: Yellow Snow

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Bottom line. Campbell will take ND if offered. The fact that there is no announcement means it is coming down to Fickell and Freeman. No way that Notre Dame lets them both slip away. But that is just my opinion. They might take Freeman, protect their recruits and players today. If it doesn’t work out they can always pull Campbell away. Whenever. I think they are pushing for Fickell right now. I think Campbell is the fallback which means we wait.

We are in so much better shape than we were when Rhoads was hired and even when Campbell was hired.

They take freeman because, if he turns out to be as successful as everyone thinks he will, you don’t want to be the school and ad that passed on him

You live with the short term growing pains, for the long term successes.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I think whatever is going to happen it is going to happen fairly soon after Swarbrick gets past meeting with the coordinators.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yep and it looks like it could occur in Ames

Having a successful coach means competitors are going to try to hire him away. He is a coach and an employee, and its a business relationship. CMC is not our spouse, and this isn't in sickness and in health til death do us part. I am confident that CMC doesn't expect we won't want someone else if he wins 3 games a year for the next 5 years.

I've never understood the "we only should have someone who wants to be here forever" mindset.
"wants to be here" - absolutely. But "forever"? That's almost no one. Or at least no one who is any good.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020

My assumption as well. That, or they are finalizing terms. If it's Fickell, they'll wait until Saturday night/Monday to announce IMO.

Reactions: DhaCheann

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
There are 2 schools of thought when you are Catholic, send your kids to public[and swim upstream] or send your kids to private[glorified rich kid school at times]. I think that may be what it comes down to in the near future, and I also think he was playing a bit of chess to try to understand what Notre Dame football is really about. Notre Dame probably needs some down years for CMC to be interested.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
My assumption as well. That, or they are finalizing terms. If it's Fickell, they'll wait until Saturday night/Monday to announce IMO.

Fickel is deep into a playoff push. Think he would jump during the season and miss out?

Jeesh....in this environment I just don't know

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Fickel is deep into a playoff push. Think he would jump during the season and miss out?

Jeesh....in this environment I just don't know

I’d hope he’d talk to them and agree after Saturday and he’d coach Cincy in the playoffs. But who knows? I doubt ND would wait until January.

The somewhat iffy situation would be if ND made playoffs too.