All FB coaching rumors and speculation

Clone Head

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2018
Vancouver, WA
I saw this comment this morning from the San Jose Mercury News in discussing Washington's hire of Fresno State's Kalen DeBoer.

"The Huskies purportedly pursued Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, who’s on the short list of the most coveted coaches in the sport. Campbell turned them down, perhaps because he knew that dominoes were falling on the sparsely-occupied tier above Washington.

That Riley’s move to USC would open up the Oklahoma job.

That LSU’s hiring of Brian Kelly would open up Notre Dame."

Considering all the movement within the coaching ranks, It would be very interesting to know who knew what and when did they know it.

• Haha
Reactions: WhoISthis

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Bottom line. Campbell will take ND if offered. The fact that there is no announcement means it is coming down to Fickell and Freeman. No way that Notre Dame lets them both slip away. But that is just my opinion. They might take Freeman, protect their recruits and players today. If it doesn’t work out they can always pull Campbell away. Whenever. I think they are pushing for Fickell right now. I think Campbell is the fallback which means we wait.

We are in so much better shape than we were when Rhoads was hired and even when Campbell was hired.
The fact that there is no announcement is because Brian Kelly left 36 hours ago. They didn’t just have their next coach waiting for Kelly to leave with a contract in hand. Coaching hires take time. They have to figure out who they want to interview and then interview those people and then offer who they want. The next coach isn’t ready within hours of the previous coach leaving.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Fickel is deep into a playoff push. Think he would jump during the season and miss out?

Jeesh....in this environment I just don't know

Believe that is why this is taking time. Big Decision. Campbell can only wait and see. And us as well.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
these arent wild takes.

He’s going end up suing you for theft of intellectual property. You have the kind of money it would require to hire proper representation?

i don’t think he really wants to take your trailer, but if you leave him no choice, he gonna do it.

• Useful
Reactions: Dr.bannedman

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
News stories are being linked to me about Campbell's interest in ND.
-----------
I find it interesting in what Coaches fervently preach to their players about commitment to a process in a program and they are freed to do elsewise.

It is a different "Process" for coaches in reality. The Player Process must be followed like religion. Adherence to it will result in higher success for the players, the team, and the school.

Some players will play their last college collegiate game on Senior Day, at a bowl, or Senior Bowl. While others matriculate upward in the professional ranks.

It took me awhile to differentiate that the players have a different commitment than that which holds coaches to a program. I am not saying this is wrong or bad, just different.

If a player is successful, integral, comfortable, and dare I say adored, they rarely leave. Why would they, NIL should not affect that:https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/01/how...e-money-according-to-new-ncaa-nil-policy.html

Some coaches see coaching as their life, but ultimately their profession. Commodity coaches work inside, outside, or around their contract if they wish to move to better pastures. At that point, it's not only an option, but often the goal, go upward, until...whatever their goal may be or what they see as desirable...jump to a big name program, Conference Champs? National Champs? Leap to the NFL...

Coaches should look at what they preach to players and see that "The Process" would be just as beneficial to them as it is to the troops. Dreams and goals have there place, I know. Money is a big problem, as are power and prestige; So I can't see how living the rule you espouse to players wouldn't be beneficial to coaches...or at least a logical train of what you actually believe.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I saw this comment this morning from the San Jose Mercury News in discussing Washington's hire of Fresno State's Kalen DeBoer.

"The Huskies purportedly pursued Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, who’s on the short list of the most coveted coaches in the sport. Campbell turned them down, perhaps because he knew that dominoes were falling on the sparsely-occupied tier above Washington.

That Riley’s move to USC would open up the Oklahoma job.

That LSU’s hiring of Brian Kelly would open up Notre Dame."

Considering all the movement within the coaching ranks, It would be very interesting to know who knew what and when did they know it.

Campbell didn’t turn them down because he knew before ND’s assistants that Kelly was leaving. That’s a homer take.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think it would be a god damned disaster if he leaves. A ******* disaster for Iowa State.

But even though don’t think he’s been anything near disloyal to Iowa state. Would I prefer it if he never listened to anyone else? Sure. But that’s not realistic. I’m confident that he’s turned down plenty. And while he would not turn down ND, that’s understandable.

He proved you can win 7-8ish games at ISU.

So can someone else.

The next person has a standard to live up to. That's great stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Of course someone else could do it. Finding that person is the problem. I swear some of you think we’ve just **** out successful football coaches.

I don't think that.

It's just that it's not 1990 where a warm body is good enough.

It's been a slow trajectory and it can continue.