All FB coaching rumors and speculation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
This is where I’m at too. I actually think Iowa State is a great job right now. Unreal fan support. Manageable expectations. On top of that there’s actually a little cache to the ISU brand at this point. Kids have seen us on TV and we’re actually kinda cool. Then add in the fact that this program is Matt’s baby. Doesn’t he want to see how far he can take this thing with recruits he was able to pull after proving he can win here? I honestly think it would be foolish to leave.
This. I was back for the TX game after being away for a few years. The stadium and fan experience rival legit programs.

• Agree
Reactions: BCoffClone125

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
there are two directions you can go when in campbell's situation:

1. pretty much lifetime contract at school / iowa state as long as he regularly gets 6+ wins and can get a few mulligan seasons (i.e. bill snyder, mike gundy, kirk ferentz, ...) and ability to operate the program mostly independently
2. go to blue blood and likely get fired in 2-4 years and have boosters, etc. in your business 24/7 (these programs have very unrealistic expectations so it's hard to have any long-term job security) -- you get paid more in the short term, but I don't know if you're better off long-term

what direction he wants to go depends on what he wants (and probably more importantly his wife)
There’s also #3) Succeed at the blue blood, win multiple national championships and become one of the best ever to coach the sport.
Even if it’s a 10% chance, it’s much easier to do at a blue blood than to take a program to that level.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
There’s also #3) Succeed at the blue blood, win multiple national championships and become one of the best ever to coach the sport.
Even if it’s a 10% chance, it’s much easier to do at a blue blood than to take a program to that level.
Campbell didn’t even set winning the Big 12 as his goal this year. Something tells me he isn’t a #3 guy.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
even if you succeed at the blue blood, there are very few coaches that last any length of time

recently, I can think of nick saban (maybe dabo, but I don't really consider clemson a blue blood)

have any other coaches recently had a 10+ year career at a top school?

edit: oh yeah I forgot about brian kelly at notre dame (bob stoops too, but he kind of got forced out a little after his last 11-2 season)

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Didn't pete Carroll only win one n.c. at usc and wasn't that with a few players that weren't even eligible? Not sure usc is the draw people think it is with 18 year olds today.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This argument about the state of USC's brand is really bizarre. If they were succeeding at the level they think they should be, they wouldn't be hiring a new coach. That's the entire point.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
On a side note...

Twitter sucks. Matt really has the attention of TOE fans. Half of the comments aren't very complementary about ISU or coach.

Plus the first thing I see this morning is a video of a guy getting shot in Texas....lordy
Sounds like quite the brain trust.

rickyrudd

Oct 10, 2010
This is where I’m at too. I actually think Iowa State is a great job right now. Unreal fan support. Manageable expectations. On top of that there’s actually a little cache to the ISU brand at this point. Kids have seen us on TV and we’re actually kinda cool. Then add in the fact that this program is Matt’s baby. Doesn’t he want to see how far he can take this thing with recruits he was able to pull after proving he can win here? I honestly think it would be foolish to leave.
What makes ISU’s fan support “unreal”, specifically?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Probably the mentality that constantly says we are incapable of being good so we should be OK with Rhoads and Manning types. Basically the battered wives syndrome of 30+ year fans.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Didn't pete Carroll only win one n.c. at usc and wasn't that with a few players that weren't even eligible? Not sure usc is the draw people think it is with 18 year olds today.
Over the years 2016 to 2020 USC averaged the 18th best classes in the country. And that's with one class that was 55th and the program being a little under the radar. What football player wouldn't at least go for a visit to Souther California. And I've thought forever that they have the prettiest girls.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
This argument about the state of USC's brand is really bizarre. If they were succeeding at the level they think they should be, they wouldn't be hiring a new coach. That's the entire point.
Maybe they have a bit of a Texas problem.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
we're kind of like the cubs where we sell out the stadium at points regardless of the results

iirc, gene chizik made a comment in 07/08 where he was perplexed about how the stadium was sold out and our team was trash

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Are you contending that other teams don’t travel well to bowl games?

Yes there are schools that don't travel well to bowls.

There are programs that are decent and getvlean crowds.

Why does Hok fan interject themselves like this?