7 Days

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

wannabe

Jan 29, 2010
According to a reliable source, GMac will be back next year. We don't have the money to buy out the contract plain and simple.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
If Mac is back next year, I doubt we win more than 10 games. We are going to be AWFUL. I don't understand why it is necessary to delay the inevitable. Next year, there is little to no chance we can contend to go to the NCAA tournament, Mac's deal is up, and we find a new coach. Every year spent in the cellar of the Big 12 sets us back even further...we need to get problem remedied quickly, and I can't see how keeping Mac around one more dismal year will benefit this program at all.

I thought the Jucos were taking care of this.:jimlad:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Now this guy is a fan! Woo! Love the Attitude!

It's kind of like your stock broker telling you that he wants 10k of your money to invest in a fund that he is telling you up front will lose all of your money. Some of you are willing to say yes to that but I am not. ISU is investing valuable resources in a failing regime with no redeemable qualities. NONE!!!! You want me to invest in that? Hell NO I am not going to do it.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This would be the only reason.

JP must cry himself to sleep at night.[/QUOTE]

This "catch 22" must be killing him. Either we go broke buying him out, or he goes broke due to people not coming to games. 2+ million dollars, or perpetuating disinterest.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
If you do that then you are not really an Iowa State fan. If you love Iowa State you never cheer for them to lose. I really question if you truly are an Iowa State fan.

If you love Iowa State then why do you want them to retain a coach that is surely going to lose because that is all he does? To me.... cheering against ISU and supporting GMAC are one in the same. Get the point?

Cystate22

Apr 11, 2006
Reinbeck, Iowa
If you love Iowa State then why do you want them to retain a coach that is surely going to lose because that is all he does? To me.... cheering against ISU and supporting GMAC are one in the same. Get the point?

No I don't get your point! No true fan would ever cheer for their team to lose no matter how they feel about the coach. Its sad that you feel that way! You might not think that Gmac can win here which is fine and to this point you are right, but to cheer for Iowa State to lose because you don't like Gmac shows everyone that you really are not an Iowa State fan.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines

Here is the deal..either you bleed Cardinal and Gold or you don't. DO i agree with everything GMAC has done? No. But does that mean I am going to stop supporting the team I have followed for the first 22 yrs of my life? Hell No!

Regardless of the record I am going to be there ( As I think most fans will be)

LonoClone

Jun 25, 2008
He likes the drama and the attention for declaring this thing.

this. He's just pouting because he didn't get his way.
Not any different than a 13 year old girl telling her parents that she hates them because they won't let her go to the Sadie Hawkins dance.

Frankly, I'm glad he won't be attending games next year. ISU doesn't need people like him in the stands.

Reactions: bawbie

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Not any different than a 13 year old girl telling her parents that she hates them because they won't let her go to the Sadie Hawkins dance.

Frankly, I'm glad he won't be attending games next year. ISU doesn't need people like him in the stands.

I wonder sometimes if the guy across the aisle from me at Hilton that yells "SHOOT IT!!!' when Diante is dribbling out past the three-point line with a guy right on him is one of the guys that makes some of these posts.

Some have good points, some don't, but I always wonder if that guy is here complaining.

He yelled for Alex Dorr to take a three a few games ago. If his idea doesn't work, he punctuates it with "YOU GUYS STINK!!"

Cystate22

Apr 11, 2006
Reinbeck, Iowa
He likes the drama and the attention for declaring this thing.

Oh I know he is like that. I have read plenty of his work and it leaves me shaking my head. I don't know how any fan of any school would cheer for their team to lose. That is just stupid! I am not happy with everything Gmac has done or his lack of wins, but I will never cheer for an Iowa State team to lose.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE

Does this 13 year old have a time machine or are you speaking strictly of Marcia Brady?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I thought I had seen about everything on messag boards. Then I read this.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention because there have been several **** poor "Cyclone fans" on here in the past month openly declaring that they are rooting for the team to lose every game.

(The following is not directed at you, cyatheart) If you are not interested in "investing" in this team, fine; walk away. Not "investing" does not require that you undermine what others are "investing" in, whether that investment is money, time or emotion.

Where is negative rep when you need it...:mask:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale

Because I realize that just because I don't feel at this current moment Mac can get it done next year I also realize my opinion doesn't mean squat. I will support who ever wears a cyclone jersey and whoever the coach is. I put my trust in JP to do what's right.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Cheering against Iowa State and being frustrated/indifferent towards a team is completely different.

Will I buy season tickets next year? No.
Will I drive 2 hours to get to games next year? Probably Not.

But if Iowa State is on tv or radio, I will be watching and cheering for them no matter what. If you brain is not wired to cheer for Iowa State no matter the circumstances, you really aren't much of a fan.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
I normally do not read message boards as most of the time the people on here have short memories and don't take the time to sit back and look at the big picture. I bet the % of those who write on here are 20-25yrs old and have no clue who Ron Virgil, Doug Collins, Ron Bayless, Justus Thigpen, were.(more on them later)
I used to write for CN(from the balcony) few years back and knew Chris Williams was an up and comer who has passion for telling us Cyclone fans what is going on. He has done a great job since coming back to the fold. You think the Morgan years were good? Well that's because we had great guard play, much like all the good years at Iowa State. Reality was that those teams didn't play any defense except one player, Rashon Clark consistantly. I was in the media room the Big Monday night when we faced Texas and TJ Ford & company just made ISU look silly. An old time legand told other reports, that was it. ISU basketball can not go on looking like this, lack of team chemistry, poor defense, players telling coaching what to do. It had to end and it did at the conclusion of the year.
Well, I did not like the hire of GMac at the beginning. Not that he couldn't coach, he can and has proven that but the fact that we tried to hurry up and beat KState for him and that I didn't feel he was ready for the Big 12 to bring this program back to middle of the pack or top 4 which, if the administration would put the same amount of money and effort into the basketball like football, here at ISU we could be a top 4 program!
From what I seen the past four years is the lack of a defensive stopper. As mentioned prior the former players above, the list of players you could count on to make a stop when game was on the line are Jeff Grayer, Fred Hoiberg, Shawn Bankhead, Kantrel Horton and few others. Main thing here is who during GMac's years has been that defensive stopper? I can't think of anyone.
What happened at the end the other night was crap. You NEVER Allow a player to catch the ball at opposite free throw line and run all the way to the other end and finally pick him up at your free throw line. YOU FORCE THAT PLAYER TO GIVE IT UP!
Another topic is the inbound pass plays under the basket. Has anyone else ever noticed that its a chore just to get the ball in let alone try to score instantly off it? Bill Fennely always trys to score and does often as most of the time the defense has their backs to the ball.
I like GMac as a person, but the X's & O's are not working out. Too many times we are getting out coached in the 2nd halves or we are soo far down by halftime that we have to play a perfect 2nd half just to have a chance in the last four minuets.
I don't want a change, but if JP fired McCarney because there wasn't any more hope due to us not buying season tickets, where can someone tell me there is hope?
Possible replacements or people should look at:
Todd Bozeman at Morgan State. you may laugh but he was formerly with Cal when ISU beat them in NCAA with Floyd(great game by Cato vs Rahim!) he left coaching DI back in 2000 to work with NBA scouting and got back into coaching with Morgan St and they have been the best team in the MEAC past three years and should make NCAA again this year. Great recruiter. Mark it down, he will replace Gary Williams at Maryland!

Doug Wojcik-Tulsa- He knows the Big 12 area for recruiting and not afraid to go up against the big boys!(played at Duke this year) his teams know how to score and if Tulsa didn't believe in him, wouldn't have signed him for another 6 years at end of last year. (he is in his 5th year)

Stew Morrill-Utah St- I know, we already had a coach from Utah St. But hey, Morrill knows his stuff. Utah St has been to 10 straight post season tournaments and make that 11 this year. Since he has replaced Larry has gone 267-91 coming into this year. He can get NBA type players or make them into NBA players. He can recruit to a place where most people don't know where it is on a map. ? is, will he leave the comforts of always winning the WAC to a more difficult job? only $$$ will tell!

other name to keep this short(lol) are Brian Gregory(Dayton), Ron Everhart(Duquesne)-don't laugh, if you can win there, you can win anywhere, and Fran McCaffery(Siena)-proven winner who again, isn't afraid of the big boys!

overall, GMAC will be back next year as JP too afraid to do something this year and I can copy and paste this into next year's threads at this time.
Go Cyclones! Keep the faith

Great Post!! :yes::yes::yes::yes:You will now hear from the GMac support group and they will give you a thousand reasons why this whole debacle is not his fault.