#400 for Bill Fennelly

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I thought this thread was here to congratulate a coach on his 400th win. Did I miss something? Great game tonight.
And it was..for three posts, then things went downhill fast.

cj0227

Mar 21, 2006
Pleasant Hill
This was one of the more fun early out of conference games that I can remember. Also, watching Bill get doused with the gatorade was a riot.

ISUCY11

Aug 3, 2006
Chicago, IL
yeah because a .710 winning percentage is mediocre...

other coaches to compare with:

Mike [SIZE=-1]Krzyzewski .745
Bob Huggins .740
Bill Self .683
Rick Pitino .732
Bobby Knight .721
Tom Crean .650
Jim Calhoun .692
Jim Boeheim .742
Kelvin Sampson .639
Tom Izzo .702
Lute Olson .739
[/SIZE]

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
yeah because a .710 winning percentage is mediocre...

other coaches to compare with:

Mike [SIZE=-1]Krzyzewski .745[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Bob Huggins .740[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Bill Self .683[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Rick Pitino .732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Bobby Knight .721[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Tom Crean .650[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jim Calhoun .692[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jim Boeheim .742[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Kelvin Sampson .639[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Tom Izzo .702[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Lute Olson .739[/SIZE]

You can not compare Men's and Women's percentages at all. In the womens game it is a lot easier to win when you at a BCS type school, you do not have as many mid majors upsetting the bigger schools. For example look at the NCAA tourny you do not see many teams get beat according to the seeds in the first 2 round (granted that it has only been recently that they switched to so called nuetral sites) I also would add that I believe that Big 12 WBB is tougher from top to bottom than MBB or Football.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
You can not compare Men's and Women's percentages at all. In the womens game it is a lot easier to win when you at a BCS type school, you do not have as many mid majors upsetting the bigger schools. For example look at the NCAA tourny you do not see many teams get beat according to the seeds in the first 2 round (granted that it has only been recently that they switched to so called nuetral sites) I also would add that I believe that Big 12 WBB is tougher from top to bottom than MBB or Football.

It's definitely relative if you are comparing DMac to Fennelly.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
I get what K is saying, that there is a general philosophy that seems to exist in Iowa State fans. We want the Johnny Orr's of the world as coaches because they seem nice. We accept the flaws of the coaches, the idea that they just can't get over the hump.
Johnny couldn't win on the road, but went to every small town in Iowa for every small town thing, and told great stories about his players.
Jim Walden couldn't win, but was a hoot at Cyclone Club gatherings.
DMac couldn't get it done, but his personality got him over with the fans.

Now we have JP in charge, and he expects results. I find it ironic that the same people blasting away for getting Mac to step down, supported Wayne's firing. Before we applauded the fact that he was no nonsense, now we are calling him trigger happy (not everyone, but I have read it on this site).

I guess what I am trying to say, is that what K was calling out was the perception that causes Hawk fans to call us "little brother"
Other schools act, we react, EIU will make KF shake up his staff for not being successful enough, when they are going to a bowl, and have 3 top ten finishes this decade. Two bad years are NOT acceptable. We were happy with Shreveport, see the difference.

Now I disagree about BF, I believe that he is a good coach, and will have greater successes than even in the past. However, what K seems to be saying is that one elite 8 appearance nearly a decade ago, and 3-4 sweet 16 appearances aren't good enough when you have other programs in the conference winning national championships.

We need to have expectations for success concerning our athletic programs.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Either way, kberyldial's posts on here were INCREDIBLY inappropriate, whether people agree with him or not. This was a thread to congratulate Fennely on his 400th win. kberydial, since you had something completely different to say, you should have started a new thread where debate could have taken place appropriately.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Either way, kberyldial's posts on here were INCREDIBLY inappropriate, whether people agree with him or not. This was a thread to congratulate Fennely on his 400th win. kberydial, since you had something completely different to say, you should have started a new thread where debate could have taken place appropriately.

Well said Skyh13.

Chris

Mar 20, 2006
Houston
Visit site
Congrats BF on #400. You have brought stability, consistency, winning, fun and enjoyment to ISU Sports in the form of Women's Basketball. You've more than met expectations for this ISU fan. Your teams are a blast to watch, they always give great effort, have great attitudes, play with passion and are just real good young ladys. Continued Success !!

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Now we have JP in charge, and he expects results. I find it ironic that the same people blasting away for getting Mac to step down, supported Wayne's firing. Before we applauded the fact that he was no nonsense, now we are calling him trigger happy (not everyone, but I have read it on this site).

This statement is misleading. Many who supported the WM firing also support DM's departure, myself included.

Now I disagree about BF, I believe that he is a good coach, and will have greater successes than even in the past.

I agree, and that is one primary difference between DM and BF. I don't think ISU FB could have improved beyond 4-4 in the conference under DM. For myself, I've been disappointed with the direction of ISU WBB for the past 3-4 years. It seems that BF has overlooked the post position since the departure of Angie Welle and has been trying to run a perimeter-oriented scheme, when strong interior play is required to win in the Big 12. However, it also appears that BF is making adjustments to correct the post deficiencies. He's making a major adjustment to become better, which is another thing that DM seemed unable or unwilling to do.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I agree, and that is one primary difference between DM and BF. I don't think ISU FB could have improved beyond 4-4 in the conference under DM. For myself, I've been disappointed with the direction of ISU WBB for the past 3-4 years. It seems that BF has overlooked the post position since the departure of Angie Welle and has been trying to run a perimeter-oriented scheme, when strong interior play is required to win in the Big 12. However, it also appears that BF is making adjustments to correct the post deficiencies. He's making a major adjustment to become better, which is another thing that DM seemed unable or unwilling to do.

Definately. It seems like Rachel Pierson and Nicky Pierson will be strong women down low, and don't count out Tocarra Ross, she is very strong down low and goes straight to the basket.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron