'22 Combo Guard Eli King Commits

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Niang’s mentee Alex Karaban would be perfect

Yes, Alex looks like a very nice player! Runs well, solid to the hole, crafty, good shooter both short and long. Would make a nice stretch 3/4.

I wonder if Georges is 'working' on him? Similar players? I saw one tweet from Georges to him I thought. And a NH/Mass connection if any?

Indiana had an inside track on him I think. After all the coaching changes, who knows. So is TJ actively going after him, i.e., the third offer for '22?

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Yes, Alex looks like a very nice player! Runs well, solid to the hole, crafty, good shooter both short and long. Would make a nice stretch 3/4.

I wonder if Georges is 'working' on him? Similar players? I saw one tweet from Georges to him I thought. And a NH/Mass connection if any?

Indiana had an inside track on him I think. After all the coaching changes, who knows. So is TJ actively going after him, i.e., the third offer for '22?
There was a VIP article on 247 that was free a couple of days back. Apparently Georges and Alex go way back. Alex followed ISU. It wasn’t expressly said, but I’m guessing it was Georges who pointed T.J. at Alex.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I believe you are correct that after the University of Iowa had arguably two of their best back-to-back years in program history, two of their biggest recruiting prospects chose Iowa State over Iowa, after what were arguably two of the worst back to back years for Iowa State in program history.
So, what you're telling me is... That after the University of Iowa had arguably two of their best back-to-back years in program history, two of their biggest recruiting prospects chose Iowa State over Iowa, after what were arguably two of the worst back to back years for Iowa State in program history?

Postel16

Oct 15, 2020
So, what you're telling me is... That after the University of Iowa had arguably two of their best back-to-back years in program history, two of their biggest recruiting prospects chose Iowa State over Iowa, after what were arguably two of the worst back to back years for Iowa State in program history?
You guys gotta stop it, I'm getting way to much enjoyment out of that paragraph

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Gopher hole is fun right now. I really think it’s just a matter of time before TJ gets us our first McDonald’s all American since Fizer.

That was amusing.

That said, it sounds bad but competitively this is huge. #2 player in the state of MN. We really, really want Holloman to go to MSU and Heide to go to Purdue. Tons of good players in MN for 2022 and best case scenario is the new coach there whiffs on most of them, especially Holloman which would really put him behind the 8 ball and keep that program in flux which can only help us recruiting that state going forward.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: legi and Statefan10

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Plus, he whiffed on X. Foster.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

That part of the take is erroneous but , yeah.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

I will say the past two years for Iowa were not the best for that program...Those would been back in the late 70's or early 80's. They made the Final 4 back then with a heck of a good team. Also I think they had some pretty good teams back in the 50's or early 60's.. Still incredible they couldn't capitalize on the last 2 years and we are doing what we are. We should thank Johnny Orr every day for coming to ISU and putting us on the map....

Last edited:

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
I was reading gopher hole, and some posters believe King's surgery was mostly precautionary. Sounds like they wanted him to be 100% for his senior year. Overall it sounds like it might not be a serious meniscus injury, which is good for us, and bad for Iowa.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Actually impressed by his passing ability.

I like how aggressive Eli is on both defense and offense. Attack, Attack, Attack. I think Hunter, Lipsey, and King will really get after people on defense. All can handle the ball and all can attack the basket. They will be fun to watch.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I used to have GopherHole as a favorite on my site list back in the day. Might have to do that again here soon.

One poster seems to understand what seems to be happening. Brought up King immediately in their Lipsey thread. Was basically called a crazy person the entire time.

3 threads on the first page with “...commits to Iowa State.” Love it.
Also on that forum:

An interesting - albeit useless - concept.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Gopher hole is fun right now. I really think it’s just a matter of time before TJ gets us our first McDonald’s all American since Fizer.

I think TJ is in a great spot to go after some five star talent here as you get the impression the foundational and cornerstone pieces are in place. Guys that will likely be on campus for a few years in Foster, Enaruna, Hunter, Lipsey, King, Grill. You add a five star talent to that group when they have all been on a campus for a couple of years that'll be a tough group.

Reactions: Final42b

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
It's so cringey to bring up a final four appearance that happened 20 years before the current athletes were born. If you think otherwise though, you and Dickie V will probably get along great!

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
It's so cringey to bring up a final four appearance that happened 20 years before the current athletes were born. If you think otherwise though, you and Dickie V will probably get along great!
It would be called a fact in discussing the most successful period of their basketball program.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron