*** 2021 Masters Thread ***

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
He only bogeyed, but Xander birdied, so it was a two shot swing.

Hideki NEVER should have went for the 15 green in two, it could have cost him the Masters.

Xander said afterwards that he was also surprised he didn’t lay up.

How far out was he though? Like 210? There’s no reason not to go in that spot for a pro. Hitting in to the water on 2 on a Par 5 isn’t that big of a deal. Now hitting in the water on 3? That’s different. I can see both sides of the thinking here.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
How far out was he though? Like 210? There’s no reason not to go in that spot for a pro. Hitting in to the water on 2 on a Par 5 isn’t that big of a deal. Now hitting in the water on 3? That’s different. I can see both sides of the thinking here.

Yep. That’s a 6 iron for a pro

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

I bet years go by without a ball being hit in the water over the green, no way he shouldn't have hit a 200 yard clean lie.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I bet years go by without a ball being hit in the water over the green, no way he shouldn't have hit a 200 yard clean lie.

Especially if it’s right on a guy’s number for a full 6 or 7 iron (think thathole is downhill to the green).

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
He only bogeyed, but Xander birdied, so it was a two shot swing.

Hideki NEVER should have went for the 15 green in two, it could have cost him the Masters.

Xander said afterwards that he was also surprised he didn’t lay up.
It was a 200 yard shot, every player in the field would have done the same

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Exactly. So you hit it in on your second, you've still got a reasonable approach for your 4th, which I would say most pros can get up and down at a decent clip. If you make it, you have a great shot at a 2 putt birdie. If you put it in the drink, you're still looking at a decent shot at par and a bogey at worse.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The drop location is huge. Where he dropped wasn’t awful. You awesome of these drops and they are trying to hit this 3” gap between trees or so, or they drop and it could roll back into water or a bunker. His risk wasn’t as big as some with where his drop occurred

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Not great.

I'll be honest, I barely watched Sunday. None of the names at the top did much to draw me in, and the guys I bet on didn't have a chance. I can see why viewership was down Sunday.

An unexciting leaderboard coupled with a big lead is not great for viewership.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
It was a 200 yard shot, every player in the field would have done the same
Not Zach Johnson. In 2007 when he won the tournament, he never once went for a par 5 in 2 shots. He played the par 5s at 11 under that year. The conditions were pretty terrible that year which definitely helped his cause, but he still rarely goes for the par 5s in 2 at Augusta. Pretty sure he was in a very similar situation on hole 15 in 2007 too. He had I think a two stroke lead, layed up from, if I remember correctly, 210 out and made par. Granted he said in the interviews he didn't look at the leader board until hole 17 after he had built a 3 stroke lead. If knowing his position would have affected his decision on 15, who knows? Or even if it is true that he was unaware of his position until 17.

Although he did miss the cut this year so he wasn't in the field at that point in the tournamemt.

Help Support Us

Become a patron