iphone feature

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I'm usually late to the party on these things, partially because I have a cell phone for the sole purpose to make and receive calls, but it was brought to my attention that my iphone has a built in (not an app driven) weed and plant identification feature. It is as simple as snapping a picture of the subject, tapping the thumbnail of the picture that appears with the photo, and then hitting the information icon that appears below that. I don't know the accuracy of this feature as I only tried it once on a closeup of a beautiful blossom (no foliage) from my yellow peony and it classed it as a poppy. Told this to a friend and he said that his son uses it to identify trees simply by snapping a picture of the bark. Would be handy to identify weeds in the lawn for proper herbicide use, etc. If this is old news, call me grandpa and move on :):). If you have used it, how accurate has it been?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I'm usually late to the party on these things, partially because I have a cell phone for the sole purpose to make and receive calls, but it was brought to my attention that my iphone has a built in (not an app driven) weed and plant identification feature. It is as simple as snapping a picture of the subject, tapping the thumbnail of the picture that appears with the photo, and then hitting the information icon that appears below that. I don't know the accuracy of this feature as I only tried it once on a closeup of a beautiful blossom (no foliage) from my yellow peony and it classed it as a poppy. Told this to a friend and he said that his son uses it to identify trees simply by snapping a picture of the bark. Would be handy to identify weeds in the lawn for proper herbicide use, etc. If this is old news, call me grandpa and move on :):). If you have used it, how accurate has it been?
I have an app for that on my Android phone. Have had it for a few years, seems pretty accurate. Found it when I was trying to figure out a weed in my yard. Not sure if it is the same one you are referring to.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Yellow peony. The picture doesn.t show how vivid the yellow is in person or when viewing on my phone. The blossom is nearly 6 inches across when fully opened

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpeg
    IMG_0318.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Another iPhone feature that I’ve been curious about.

Is there a way to disable the automatic feature of video/add pop ups while viewing apps? Specifically, the “app” I speak of may be a simple direct connect to a website that is framed out as an app. I honestly don’t know…

Specifically it’s a FanSided “app” that any time I select an article to read and I scroll through the passage, that once an ad comes in view, the video plays. Annoying as hell and I’ve tried to disable this for the last 6 months.

I haven’t been able to identify if this is exclusive to this FanSided app o my or other apps I use.

I’m IT stupid and frustrated with the wasted resources in trying to prevent this.

TIA and go State!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I checked it out a while back on a weed I knew, ragweed, and it correctly identified it.