***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Both are true sophomores. I would guess (I don't know anything) that it's a skillset thing. What it tells me is that they are looking for minutes at the '4' and not the '5', as Jefferson is a "pure 4" and Kyle is more of a Hason Ward-style 5. So I think it would say that they are happy with Jackson/Rock/Chatfield at the '5'

Or maybe they are prioritizing FT shooting %, lol

For as great as Rob and Hasan were, I imagine the staff saw at the end of the year how much they were impacted by having bigs with no true offensive game. I'll guess they are prioritizing someone who can do some things offensively over a guy like Kyle, who has many strengths but has no game outside of 5 feet.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Listen to latest Williams/Blum podcast. Blum pretty much said "we arent Kansas". We arent paying for two starting 5s. Lipsey, Gilbert, Jones, Momcilovic, Jackson, Heise, Jefferson, Watson that is a big time 8 man rotation right there. That does not even include our three freshman. One of the freshman pop we are in business.
Your answer seems unrelated to the question.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Yikes… not sure which neighbors has been hurt most by the portal this year Wisconsin, Minnesota or Iowa?

it seems Wisconsin will support their MBB program at least

Minnesota fans dont care about Gopher bball

and Swarm only gives like 12.5% of their funding to MBB

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
We are so lucky TJ turned us around when he did. It seems like it would be a very, very difficult period of time to be rebuilding in.
I actually think it would be a really good time to rebuild. You can get 10 new guys in the portal who have played college basketball before. If you can make them gell you got yourself a chance.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I actually think it would be a really good time to rebuild. You can get 10 new guys in the portal who have played college basketball before. If you can make them gell you got yourself a chance.
Agree. Teams with the right guy in charge will be fine if they have some money to work with.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I think it depends on who is doing the rebuilding. If you have deep pockets, sure. You can just overhaul a full roster by buying it. But for somwhere like Minnesota, you're in a tough spot. You haven't established a culture of winning, haven't had any recent success and the guys you do develop are going to leave.

I think we are in as good of spot as we can be by having a coach who can construct a roster, recruit and figure out how to get "bang for our buck" in the portal. Having competitive teams and a culture of winning and development is going to go a long ways in the transfer portal for anyone who isn't just going to the highest bidder.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think it depends on who is doing the rebuilding. If you have deep pockets, sure. You can just overhaul a full roster by buying it. But for somwhere like Minnesota, you're in a tough spot. You haven't established a culture of winning, haven't had any recent success and the guys you do develop are going to leave.

I think we are in as good of spot as we can be by having a coach who can construct a roster, recruit and figure out how to get "bang for our buck" in the portal. Having competitive teams and a culture of winning and development is going to go a long ways in the transfer portal for anyone who isn't just going to the highest bidder.
Just buying a roster has built in issues. Where's the leadership coming from? How do you know roles when everyone is new. Infighting over accepting those roles. It goes on and on but basically it's about roles.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Just buying a roster has built in issues. Where's the leadership coming from? How do you know roles when everyone is new. Infighting over accepting those roles. It goes on and on but basically it's about roles.

Oh I agree. As nutty as Hurley is he had a great interview to this point. He's basically said he's not recruiting transfers who are on their 2nd or 3rd transfer or just looking for money. So much of it is about fitting the culture/style.

Help Support Us

Become a patron