We Will Collective contributor numbers

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Football still pays the bills and drives the eyeballs in realignment, the last we need to do right now is to not invest in football. Men’s basketball can’t even get the viewership as the women’s game right now.
I would take a basketball natty for two seasons of going 2-10 in football

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I would take a basketball natty for two seasons of going 2-10 in football
Good deal, I would take a Big 12 championship in football over a national championship in basketball. That would guarantee a playoff spot, even with a loss I think it does more for the ISU brand. Each to their own.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Football still pays the bills and drives the eyeballs in realignment, the last we need to do right now is to not invest in football. Men’s basketball can’t even get the viewership as the women’s game right now.
The men’s final was on TBS vs the women on ABC. We know TBS not even close to number of homes ABC is in

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Argue about football vs. basketball all you want but it is a fact that Big East schools have a competitive advantage in hoops because their NIL cannons are all pointing in the same direction. The relative decrease (if any) in contributions that they suffer by not having a football team is much less than the amount they save by spending $0.00 on football NIL.

Sometimes I wonder if schools like ISU are crabs in a pot trying to compete over football recruits, while the B1G and SEC can easily blow them away there, instead of focusing their money collectively on hoops where they actually could compete for national title-level talent.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I wish NIL would go all in for basketball. I like football more but it seems like we have a legit shot at something special in basketball. Get the guys we need and the rest goes to football. Just my opinion
Deciding to become a basketball school?? Well, you would lose a lot of AD donations then. Football is king, you have to keep the king happy.

Reactions: Diehardisu6988

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
You can never take this guy seriously again after this post.
How many national titles has Duke won in basketball? How relevant are they right now on the realignment stage, next to none? They may watch their entire conference go up in flames and they can do next to nothing about it. They just as of recently started caring about football. They may be the next Washington State/Oregon State in the next year. But hey hold those basketball titles real close.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
How many national titles has Duke won in basketball? How relevant are they right now on the realignment stage, next to none? They may watch their entire conference go up in flames and they can do next to nothing about it. They just as of recently started caring about football. They may be the next Washington State/Oregon State in the next year. But hey hold those basketball titles real close.

If you think our football is going to save us in some epic reshuffle that includes Duke becoming a G5 school then whew boy have I got some offensive line hype to sell you.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Argue about football vs. basketball all you want but it is a fact that Big East schools have a competitive advantage in hoops because their NIL cannons are all pointing in the same direction. The relative decrease (if any) in contributions that they suffer by not having a football team is much less than the amount they save by spending $0.00 on football NIL.

Sometimes I wonder if schools like ISU are crabs in a pot trying to compete over football recruits, while the B1G and SEC can easily blow them away there, instead of focusing their money collectively on hoops where they actually could compete for national title-level talent.
I think a Big East comparison can be fair but also difficult because remember, 9 of the 11 schools are private.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Winning what the media will label a lesser conference won't do jack for us, either. Even if we manage to win a playoff game it will be strictly because "we had homefield advantage" in the game.

The only path ISU has to national relevance is basketball. We will NEVER be given enough respect in football for the P2 to even give us a second glance.

Thinking otherwise is naive.

• Informative
Reactions: nrg4isu

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Winning what the media will label a lesser conference won't do jack for us, either. Even if we manage to win a playoff game it will be strictly because "we had homefield advantage" in the game.

The only path ISU has to national relevance is basketball. We will NEVER be given enough respect in football for the P2 to even give us a second glance.

Thinking otherwise is naive.

We can probably also dispose of the notion that ISU is ever giving up on football. Not gonna happen.

Reactions: Die4Cy

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
The Big 12 would be crazy not to pick up Duke if they come available. Basketball will be worth a little more when the NCAA finally dies because they keep most of the billions generated by the national tournament.

Reactions: Yellow Snow

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
We can probably also dispose of the notion that ISU is ever giving up on football. Not gonna happen.
Completely agree, and I probably should have made it clear that's not what I'm advocating for.

But the idea that winning the Big XII in football is more valuable than a natty in basketball is asinine.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008

Right now the 2 mega conferences don't have that much of a financial advantage but they will in the very near future and paying players or NIL will become bigger and bigger. 5 years from now it is going to be so hard for the Big 12 to compete in football against those 2 conferences.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron