Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

sj4

Jun 12, 2012
Maybe set up a system where schools trade players like the bigs. That would be fun to watch.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Ok, here's a middle age guy who remembers what life used to be like about to go on a rant.

I've personally spoken about NIL, transfers.....etc to a HOF football coach, 3 Big 12 players themselves, a guy who owns a professional recruiting service firm in Omaha, and hundreds of other fans of college spots, and absolutely zero of them like anything to do with this current landscape. Literally zero!!!

So why if everyone hates everything about this is it allowed to continue this way?
I question the whether your sample of players is a non-bias sample. i think you need to talk to a lot more than 3 players and make sure that there are some players who are benefiting from this landscape. Also, I actually think ISU basketball is able to compete better in this landscape than in the one-and-done landscape where all deals were behind closed doors.

Last edited:

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
You are fooling yourself if you don't think Iowa State is a program that benefits from the portal more than it hurts us. It affords us to miss on a few recruits and doesn't put us into a situation of 3-4 rebuilding years to get guys either up to speed or graduated through. The ones who miss "the good ol days" probably wouldn't be happy with missing the tournament 4/5 years in a row.

Spam

May 21, 2008
You are fooling yourself if you don't think Iowa State is a program that benefits from the portal more than it hurts us. It affords us to miss on a few recruits and doesn't put us into a situation of 3-4 rebuilding years to get guys either up to speed or graduated through. The ones who miss "the good ol days" probably wouldn't be happy with missing the tournament 4/5 years in a row.

Yeah...when coaches like Bill Self and Nick Saban are complaining about the current system, it couldn't be too bad for the likes of Iowa State.

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
Yeah...when coaches like Bill Self and Nick Saban are complaining about the current system, it couldn't be too bad for the likes of Iowa State.
That's because programs like theirs can get the top high school recruits based on reputation. Iowa State can't compete in that arena.
Of course when the playing field is leveled, coaches like those will cry about it

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Nice work.
Here's KU over the time period. Ahead of time, I would guess most of us would think they "hit" on their recruits more often than we do. I'm not sure they do. It's KU so there's a lot more of them, you're going to have a lot more high-profile recruits who end up being role-players if they want to stay at KU, and I'm not sure who here would be defined as "living up to KU expectations", but there's a whole bunch of guys I've never heard of, whole bunch of guys who averaged 1.3 ppg then transferred to ECU, etc. For every Wayne Simien and Frank Mason there's a lot of guys I'd imagine most KU fans would say "that guy didn't do much".

So, we're in good company in only finding success with maybe 50% of our highly-rated recruits.

Keith Langford
Aaron Miles
Wayne Simien
JR Giddens
David Padgett
Omar Wilkes
Alex Galindo
Russell Robinson
Sasha Kaun
CJ Giles
Darnell Jackson
Brandon Rush
Mario Chalmers
Julian Wright
Micah Downs
Darrell Arthur
Sherron Collins
Cole Aldritch
Tyrel Reed
Tyshawn Taylor
Marcus Morris
Markieff Morris
Travis Releford
Quintrell Thomas
Xavier Henry
Thomas Robinson
Elijah Johnson
Josh Selby
Naadir Tharpe
Ben McLemore
Perry Ellis
Andrew White
Andrew Wiggins
Wayne Selden
Joel Embiid
Frank Mason
Kelly Oubre
Cliff Alexander
Devonte' Graham
Sviatoslav Mykhailiiuk
Carlton Bragg
Cheick Diallo
Lagerald Vick
Josh Jackson
Udoka Azubuike
Marcus Garrett
Devon Dotson
Quentin Grimes
David McCormack
Tristan Enaruna
Jalen Wilson
Bryce Thompson
Zach Clemence
KJ Adams
Bobby Pettiford
Gradey ****
Ernest Udeh
MJ Rice
Zuby Ejiofor
Elmarko Jackson

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Here's KU over the time period. Ahead of time, I would guess most of us would think they "hit" on their recruits more often than we do. I'm not sure they do. It's KU so there's a lot more of them, you're going to have a lot more high-profile recruits who end up being role-players if they want to stay at KU, and I'm not sure who here would be defined as "living up to KU expectations", but there's a whole bunch of guys I've never heard of, whole bunch of guys who averaged 1.3 ppg then transferred to ECU, etc. For every Wayne Simien and Frank Mason there's a lot of guys I'd imagine most KU fans would say "that guy didn't do much".

So, we're in good company in only finding success with maybe 50% of our highly-rated recruits.

Keith Langford
Aaron Miles
Wayne Simien
JR Giddens
David Padgett
Omar Wilkes
Alex Galindo
Russell Robinson
Sasha Kaun
CJ Giles
Darnell Jackson
Brandon Rush
Mario Chalmers
Julian Wright
Micah Downs
Darrell Arthur
Sherron Collins
Cole Aldritch
Tyrel Reed
Tyshawn Taylor
Marcus Morris
Markieff Morris
Travis Releford
Quintrell Thomas
Xavier Henry
Thomas Robinson
Elijah Johnson
Josh Selby
Naadir Tharpe
Ben McLemore
Perry Ellis
Andrew White
Andrew Wiggins
Wayne Selden
Joel Embiid
Frank Mason
Kelly Oubre
Cliff Alexander
Devonte' Graham
Sviatoslav Mykhailiiuk
Carlton Bragg
Cheick Diallo
Lagerald Vick
Josh Jackson
Udoka Azubuike
Marcus Garrett
Devon Dotson
Quentin Grimes
David McCormack
Tristan Enaruna
Jalen Wilson
Bryce Thompson
Zach Clemence
KJ Adams
Bobby Pettiford
Gradey ****
Ernest Udeh
MJ Rice
Zuby Ejiofor
Elmarko Jackson

Fizer was good enough to play/start as a freshman but by no means a polished star. Our sample size of top twenty hs recruits is basically 2.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
This is what has really changed the perspective from a high school recruit level.

My son has been recruited by schools from D3 all the way to low level D1. It’s been interesting process but it’s become obvious why his coaches have been advising him not to commit until last minute to anywhere. He’s seen so many guys older than him commit and start at a 4 year (Low Major D1 or D2 top programs) get buried by transfers on the depth chart when coaches promised that wouldn’t happen. He will be starting at a JUCO based on advice from his AAU coaches. It’s amazing how much the recruiting process has changed just in the 2-3 years coaches have been in contact with him.

Want to add to my above comment about the perspective from a recruit. Above wasn’t meant to be negative about the process at all.

My son views what’s happening in the portal as a way to build up to a level that wouldn’t have been there for him out of high school. He’s young for his grade and continues to improve and grow. He loves the idea of the portal as in his mind it creates a path to get to the highest level schools if he continues to get better and grow to that level. Will he get there? Who knows and probably not. But the path and possibility is there when that wasn’t in the past.

As someone already stated, the players and coaches have already adjusted to the portal. Time for fans to accept it.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
[/QUOTE]
I question the whether your sample of players is a non-bias sample. i think you need to talk to a lot more than 3 players and make sure that there are some players who are benefiting from this landscape. Also, I actually think ISU basketball is able to compete better in this landscape than in the one-and-done landscape where all deals were behind closed doors.

I know 3 is a really small sample size, but the athletes I talked to personally said it creates locker room problems. One even straight up admitted there's jealousy issues at play also.

I don't know if you've been following the Proctor drama, but it sounds like he wasn't well received at all by his new teammates when he went to Iowa.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I will never get this take. You always recruit better, if a current player cant beat him out then so be it. Been going on since um forever,

Everyone takes 1 scholarship. It’s not like swinging and missing on a free agent in the pros that you pay a bunch of money to and ruins your salary structure.

Reactions: HoopsTournament

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, I saw someone else with that good reminder.....we tend to improve and get great guys in the portal.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Fizer was good enough to play/start as a freshman but by no means a polished star. Our sample size of top twenty hs recruits is basically 2.
The list there is KU's top-100 guys. They've had about 60, compared to our 16. I didn't count but for KU I would guess about half of those guys were top-20.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Think Brackins factors in there as well, so as meatloaf said 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Reactions: CloneLawman

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
If I remember correctly a player for Kansas the same year or the year after had the same circumstances (barely play for pay in a foreign country) and was allowed in. Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I seem to remember that being the case.
I kind of remember something like that. The Lester Earl deal was right around that time too. That ISU class was ranked #2 only behind Duke which had arguably the best class in history at the time.

Last edited:

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Brackins was #17 in the 2007 class on Rivals. On "RSCI" (this is the thing on sports-reference.com, some sort of composite rating?) he's only #51.

Pretty solid class. OJ Mayo was #1, other players in it were Kevin Love, Eric Gordon, Michael Beasley, Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, and James Harden.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You think he is a 5? That’s interesting. I would be shocked if he is interested in that.

He is a 3 or 4 in the NBA which I’m guessing is his main goal, playing a 5 in college would not help get his limited offensive skill set NBA ready.

NO I don't think he's a 5, he's a 3 or 4, but ISU was training him to be a 5.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude and 67CY