2024 NCAA Tournament Thread

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Without investigating their backgrounds too deeply you can tell which of these 5 players have faced real hardship in their lives (season ending knee injuries, death of a parent while in high school) vs those whose greatest challenge has been not getting the And-1 after everyone basket.

As a newbie wbb fan (who has only watched just NBA and Cyclone mbb for 30ish years)...I actually think I'm a legit fan of Iriafin after last night. I mean she was all business and just went OFF. Likewise new level of fandom for Ryan.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
She was very much the star for Stanford. Brink was not impressive at all. As someone said in the game thread "it's easy to be a great shot blocker when you never have to keep your arms vertical".

Honestly her game reminded me of Paul Shirley more than any player I could think of. Maybe Shawn Bradley if I have to go NBA.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Honestly her game reminded me of Paul Shirley more than any player I could think of. Maybe Shawn Bradley if I have to go NBA.
I think Brink would have a lot of trouble in the WNBA. It's extremely physical and she'll be at the bottom of the totem pole in the referees' eyes before she can get the calls

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think Brink would have a lot of trouble in the WNBA. It's extremely physical and she'll be at the bottom of the totem pole in the referees' eyes before she can get the calls

I see on Iowa boards they're all celebrating that Audi had a bad game (I guess Audi winning isn't good for the state like we've been preached/yelled at) and all you have to do is throw two All American post players at her (as if hardly any team has that). Kind of ignoring if this is the #2 pick in the WNBA draft she actually had a worse game than Audi head to head and those two were directly matched up more often than Audi and Iriafen. Brink couldn't even stay on the floor against Audi, they could have called 15 fouls on her. They kind of bothered each other and cancelled each other out, and Audi had to deal with both of them where we didn't have a second threat down low.

It was crazy to see Audi respond with smiles and the Brink girl basically having a psychotic breakdown on national tv over it.

Reactions: WartburgClone

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I see on Iowa boards they're all celebrating that Audi had a bad game (I guess Audi winning isn't good for the state like we've been preached/yelled at) and all you have to do is throw two All American post players at her (as if hardly any team has that). Kind of ignoring if this is the #2 pick in the NBA draft she actually had a worse game than Audi and those two were directly matched up more often than Audi and Iriafen. They kind of bothered each other and cancelled each other out, and Audi had to deal with both of them where we didn't have a second threat down low.

It was crazy to see Audi respond with smiles and the Brink girl basically having a psychotic breakdown on national tv over it.
Most Hawk fans are miserable douchebags or fair-weather followers of whatever sport seems to be peaking.

While incredibly unfair, there's no hiding the fact that Audi will always draw haters and doubters because of her unique size and skill set. There are very few successful basketball players with that combination and she's probably the best I've ever seen with it. Add in their tendency to hate minorities or people perceived to be different and you have a toxic mess spewing out of Iowa City. They like their pretty, skinny, white players and anything else is considered a thug or second-rate wanna be.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee trying to make a heck of a comeback here. Believe were down like 18 or so at Half and now trail by 2 with 5 minutes left at NC State.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I see on Iowa boards they're all celebrating that Audi had a bad game (I guess Audi winning isn't good for the state like we've been preached/yelled at) and all you have to do is throw two All American post players at her (as if hardly any team has that). Kind of ignoring if this is the #2 pick in the WNBA draft she actually had a worse game than Audi head to head and those two were directly matched up more often than Audi and Iriafen. Brink couldn't even stay on the floor against Audi, they could have called 15 fouls on her. They kind of bothered each other and cancelled each other out, and Audi had to deal with both of them where we didn't have a second threat down low.

They just can't stand that Audi is going to be a star, and she isn't a complete **** like CC.

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
She was very much the star for Stanford. Brink was not impressive at all. As someone said in the game thread "it's easy to be a great shot blocker when you never have to keep your arms vertical".
Was Iriafin the teammate Brink yelled at after one of the ISU players got around her and Brink? I understand respectfully talking though a play to make adjustments but she just yelled at her like a spoiled brat, boy I sound like a ”old” adult.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Sweet 16 filling in. By seed:

Albany 11 SCAR2 ND3 ORST4/5 (5:30pm)
Albany 21/8 (7:00pm)2/7 (7:30pm)3 LSU5 COLO
Portland 31/8 (9:00pm)7 DUKE3/6 (5:00pm)5 BAY
Portland 41 TEX2 STAN3 NCST4/5 (9:30pm)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
This Creighton at UCLA thing, crowd has no energy at all. There is a dude sitting in chairs behind bucket that just keeps scrolling through his phone. Is at least close.

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
WV's defense is downright pesky. Arms up always, disrupting passes. I don't think they have the gas to beat Iowa, but they're mixing it up to stay in the game.

Reactions: acoustimac

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
Pretty sure the announcers have talked more about each of Iowa's players more than the best player on West Virginia's team (Quinerly). They're not even trying to pretend to care about WVU.