Twister Sister Summary - Season closes in epic fashion

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I hate to bag on refs, but my goodness. Brink and the other Stanford forwards were not even trying to stay vertical when guarding Crooks. Just draped all over Crooks arms with zero foul calls. I would have liked to have seen Fennelly get at least one technical to see if it would have affected how they continued to not call that.

Other than that, the ladies battled to the end and I'm extremely proud of what they got done in a season full of so much uncertainty with all the new freshman. Hope we can retain this core and come back stronger next year.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think Kelsey had to have a concussion, never returned. Was kind of worried about her neck too. One of the Stanford guards played 45 minutes, Hannah at 44:04 and Emily at 42:35.

Emily had a lot of turnovers but the game was also longer. Several of them were caused by poor movement off ball, undoubtedly some exhaustion between minutes played and the physical nature of the way the game was called.

I think we lose to them by 30 at least without Emily last night. Losing Kelsey and AJ really wore our guards down. Except our Iron Lady.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I hate to bag on refs, but my goodness. Brink and the other Stanford forwards were not even trying to stay vertical when guarding Crooks. Just draped all over Crooks arms with zero foul calls. I would have liked to have seen Fennelly get at least one technical to see if it would have affected how they continued to not call that.

Other than that, the ladies battled to the end and I'm extremely proud of what they got done in a season full of so much uncertainty with all the new freshman. Hope we can retain this core and come back stronger next year.
It's the CC affect or the LSU trash affect. The NCAA needs to capitalize on this year and wants make sure all their stars will shine in the Final Four.

The side note big positive that came from last night is we're now on the radar. Likely preseason top 15 minimum.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
@acoustimac, you put a lot of labor and passion into your posts on the WBB squad. Much appreciated.

That game was a real classic - one that will be remembered for a long time. ISU punched above its weight class in that one as Stanford has a stable of terrific athletes. Great season for the Sisters who have (always) been great ambassadors for ISU along with being great athletes.

A few of my observations from last night:

I liked Bristow's contributions, amid all the attention on Emily and Audi, I felt like she showed she can be a big contributor going forward (I'd like those 2 FTs back). She's quick and could come back stronger and with a bit more range and possibly slide into a starting role.

Emily really used the pick-and-roll game well, going shoulder-to-shoulder with the screener to lose her defender. What a game. Her TOs drive me a little crazy sometimes but she really had to force the action last night.

After carrying the team vs. Maryland, Audi ran into a bit of a ceiling, being taller and more athletic players. She must've had 8 shots blocked and barely could get a bucket all night - yes, there were some fouls - via her usual seal-and-short-bank-shot game. And Iriafen had her way on the offensive side, often blowing past her (Bristow seems like a better match-up on D) or having 3 feet to get up mid-range jumpers. I had the thought during the Big 12 season about how Audi would do against those handful of 6'4+ athletic types such as Baylor (S. Griner, for one) and Texas have had at times. Megan Kane couldn't fare very well against them either, like most D1 posts. I'm sure the ISU staff will work in the off-season to figure out how to approach those challenges. What a season for Audi; she carried the team for so much of the conference season. And I love to see her big smiles in the middle of games; she really loves to play and compete.

I felt like Belanger barely touched the ball in the 2nd half; they really focused on shutting her down. I suspect that the Stanford players were just quicker and she couldn't shake them without there being some screens set. It seems like she enjoyed her year in Ames and the whole D1 experience. She's a terrific shooter and hit some huge shots for ISU this season.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Irafen (or however you spell it, #44) was great. All that blabbering about Blink who was the superior whiner, instead of the best player. Are they encouraging these women to be whiny and insufferable to bring drama and more eyeballs to the game? It’s a sport, not a soap opera.

Reactions: MJ29

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
It should be motivation to work on a good countermove all off-season. She had a great year without really having a single post move. It's all turn over your left shoulder and put up a baby hook. If she can learn something going to the middle, it's over for defenders.
Yeah, it's exciting for her to be this good with still a lot of room for growth. She has that little mini fadeaway that she does sometimes which can be a nice counter to length. She missed one or two of those early in the game, but I was disappointed she didn't go back to it later.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011

The amount of times with their arms over at about a 30 degree angle was ridiculous! Then they announcers talked about what great defense. Give me a break.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
All in all, it was an incredible game to watch. Clearly, a win was preferred, but the punches and counterpunches in overtime were amazing.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfan1965

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think last night will be a good lesson for Audi. You can't just turn and put the ball up with two hands against tall and athletic girls. Got to find a way to take the ball away from the defender. But agree that Audi wasn't getting any calls because of her size.

Actually, she can. If the fouls get called, defenders would back off and then she has easy shots. I hope that Audi develops more options for herself down low, but I'm okay with her going right to the basket with defenders draped on her arms. In most games, refs make those calls.

As for getting the benefit of the ref calls for the star player, I think Audi gets on the beneficiary side starting next year.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Irafen (or however you spell it, #44) was great. All that blabbering about Blink who was the superior whiner, instead of the best player. Are they encouraging these women to be whiny and insufferable to bring drama and more eyeballs to the game? It’s a sport, not a soap opera.

Audi broke on to the national stage on Friday. Kiki Iriafen broke on to the national stage on Sunday.

Hope to see them both in a Final Four next year.

It will be a pleasant alternative to Clark, Reese, and Brink!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, it's exciting for her to be this good with still a lot of room for growth. She has that little mini fadeaway that she does sometimes which can be a nice counter to length. She missed one or two of those early in the game, but I was disappointed she didn't go back to it later.
Honestly, I think if she can drop 25 pounds in the offseason she can elevate the rest of her game to her scoring ability.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think last night will be a good lesson for Audi. You can't just turn and put the ball up with two hands against tall and athletic girls. Got to find a way to take the ball away from the defender. But agree that Audi wasn't getting any calls because of her size.

Someone posted about learning some of Niang's old man moves. Might not be the worst plan ever. Hmm wonder how she could make connections with him.

Reactions: acoustimac

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Wow…that clip shows Brink mugging Audi and then trying to foul the next ISU player. As with many I wasn’t impressed with her last night.
And Audi handled it with class. Meanwhile Brink yells the F bomb to an official while walking off the court after fouling out.

Absolutely love this team and the team character. This is a team anyone can be proud to say they support them. The future looks very, very bright. I can't wait for next season

Edit: I recall a play where Audi fouled a Stanford player pretty hard. There clearly wasn't any intent for it to be that rough. Audi helps the Stanford player up, makes sure she is ok, and demonstrated great sportsmanship. That's the type of character people enjoy watching

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron