Kirk Ferentz refuses to take a paycut

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Honest question - is this KF's doing or the accounting? It's not like he would go ask for a paycut. Did the other coaches ask to be cut? Feels like we don't have all the info.

You know when covid hit last spring, and it became obvious it was going to really hurt our business, probably at least 3-4 employees (out of ~15) came to us saying they would take a paycut or go on furlough if it would help save their or others' jobs. One guy even offered to retire early if it would help. These are folks making ~$40k, and knowing their commissions were going to go to $0 as well.

What a comparison to the highest paid employee in the state.

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
Didn't the courts order Iowa to keep the sports then Barta tried to act like "it was the right thing to do" ?
I believe it's only the Women's Swimming and Diving team that is currently back, due to the Title IX lawsuit, but the Men's Olympic Sports that were cut (like Men's Swimming and Diving) are still gone, and this is despite donors raising money to specifically save them (which is also discussed in the linked piece.)

• Informative
Reactions: mj4cy

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Her history is well documented.

I'm not sure we really want her firing Barta. He's such a s***show though that I'm sure at some point she'll have no other choice.

Reactions: Brandon

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
What is really interesting here is the Gazette is doing the expose. Historically the CRG is essentially the Iowa AD version of Pravda. No criticism, just reporting the talking points, lots of knob slobbering. Maybe that's a sea change that could mean something.

Imagine if this gets picked up by ESPN:
"Ferentz says he takes pay cut, does not. Keeps bowl bonus for bowl that didn't happen. Iowa cuts womens sports due to budget problems."

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
How long until the new Prez **** cans barta?

If she's smart, she'll can him in her first week. She really needs to make that athletic department accountable to the university again by hiring someone who isn't a stooge for Kirk. Otherwise, when Kirk decides to step aside he'll simply install Brian and that family will have a stranglehold on the athletic department for another generation.

• Agree
Reactions: ISULibrarian

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
If she's smart, she'll can him in her first week. She really needs to make that athletic department accountable to the university again by hiring someone who isn't a stooge for Kirk. Otherwise, when Kirk decides to step aside he'll simply install Brian and that family will have a stranglehold on the athletic department for another generation.

The ideal situation for us is brian getting the job.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
You know when covid hit last spring, and it became obvious it was going to really hurt our business, probably at least 3-4 employees (out of ~15) came to us saying they would take a paycut or go on furlough if it would help save their or others' jobs. One guy even offered to retire early if it would help. These are folks making ~$40k, and knowing their commissions were going to go to $0 as well.

What a comparison to the highest paid employee in the state.

I'm not saying others wouldn't. I'm saying I can't imagine him going to ask for one.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I mean Kirk and the boys only had one massive scandal in 2020, that is above average for the University of Iowa. So he definitely deserved a bonus.

My favorite part of this story is that Brands won the freaking national championship and took the pay cut. Kirk won 6 games and didn’t lol

I was just going to say this. Kirk made a “bowl game” without even playing a ranked opponent. Brands’ team won a national title, and Brands also makes peanuts compared to Ferentz already. Not a good look at all.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not I

Ive been fed up with pretty much all Iowa coaches except Blunder for quite some time now. This news unfortunately can't move the needle much for me.
TBH, Brands took a pretty large % cut on not a "huge" salary.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
a couple hawk fans on twitter said he took the full salary but donated money back to the AD. That is how some are rationalizing it.
Facebook haks are justifying it as unless you took a pay cut from your employer during the pandemic, you shouldn’t be talking. Last I checked I’m not making $5 million off the backs of Iowa tax payer loans.

• Informative
Reactions: RezClone

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The ideal situation for us is brian getting the job.

Oh absolutely. I was just approaching the question from a neutral standpoint, as if I were in her shoes and wanted to run an organization effectively.

Reactions: Brandon

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Didn't the courts order Iowa to keep the sports then Barta tried to act like "it was the right thing to do" ?
In the article. Only Women's Swimming was re-instated due to Title IX. The other three sports were cut even though an outside booster group raised $3 million and pledged another $3 million which would have fully funded those sports for about 4 years. U of Iowa turned down their money and still cut the sports.

• Informative
Reactions: baagoe and mj4cy