Fran losing multiple players!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Garza wasn't a black hole with the basketball. He took it to the basket or shot when he knew he had a high % opportunity. He passed before he forced things.

I think Fizer's junior year he was actually more dominant and unstoppable around the basket than Garza, Fizer just did not have the shooting range Garza has away from the rim. Yet Fizer would on occasion force things a little too much. ISU's elite 8 team made up for this by having 3 absolutely fantastic guards that could also create, shoot and move the basketball.

Not sure what you mean, I don’t think Fizer was ever a junior?

Edit: guess he was in Elite 8 year?

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not sure what you mean, I don’t think Fizer was ever a junior?

I'm pretty sure it was his junior year he was consensus AA and best player in NCAA tournament (Kenyon Martin was injured).

That's why the argument to not hang his jersey is so dumb. He would have been a first round pick as a sophomore but already came back. That enabled ISU's greatest season of all time. If you could only retire one jersey, that's the one, imho.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure it was his junior year he was consensus AA and best player in NCAA tournament (Kenyon Martin was injured).

That's why the argument to not hang his jersey is so dumb. He would have been a first round pick as a sophomore but already came back. That enabled ISU's greatest season of all time. If you could only retire one jersey, that's the one, imho.

Yeah I figured it out about when you were posting.

If he was a junior academically that year it makes no sense to me on the jersey at all. And if we wind up with his son, I hope maybe we can get dad his degree too somehow.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't have to read it, I'm 100% sure what it says.

They extended a coach for 8 years who might as well be a flat earther given the realities of NCAA basketball.

CJ is not a bad kid, it's just reality. Whatever team he ends up at is not doing things "the wrong way".

Reactions: brett108

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Why, on 247 Sports, does Iowa have a blank page for the transfer portal? Is all this discussion about Iowa simply speculation?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It was clear that 01 team had some warts behind the scenes. But I still remember 10 year old me expecting the big drop off the next year. Losing Tinsley, Horton, Shirley, Rancik, Evans all at once? Tough to keep momentum
Rancik was back for the 2001 season

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Leaving would seem like a bad option for him now. I'd either roll the dice on being the only decent player on Iowa next year and putting up big numbers, or transfer somewhere bigger. He's always struck me as a guy who is being misused and could be an NBA level player in the right opportunity.
Normally I would say this makes sense but the problem is that Weiscamp will draw all of the defensive attention now, when he’s always been one of multiple options after Garza. It’s possible that his FG percentage and scoring will go down next year with the guys they have left. Joe returning would have a Matt Gatens feel to it - great player stuck on a crappy team. I don’t think his stock will get any higher than it is now.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
They extended a coach for 8 years who might as well be a flat earther given the realities of NCAA basketball.

CJ is not a bad kid, it's just reality. Whatever team he ends up at is not doing things "the wrong way".
These college landscape changes will only help the younger more ambitious coaches, and I think our staff thrives. Franny Mac will struggle. So will TTU, which is why I was personally very happy with the Adams hire.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Who

Who the heck is burning a draft pick on Weiskamp?
This probably hasn't been talked about enough. Weiskamp going pro doesn't seem like such a sure thing to me, although the team he would be coming back to looks abysmal even with him.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Leaving is now looking like a no brainer and a decision made with foresight.

Make the league, get paid and hang in the G-League, go to Europe for a couple of years and make a lot of money, or stick around for the dumpster fire.

Wieskamp is a really good 3 point shooter who lacks elite athleticism. If he had a competent PG who could create and get him the ball, like the corner 3 in the NBA and Europe. He could have a nice career

Help Support Us

Become a patron