Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
A very cool event took place Wednesday in Germany's pro BB league. Former Cyclone stalwarts Nick Weiler-Babb's Bayern Munich team took on (and defeated) brother Chris Babb's Telekom Baskets Bonn's squad, 89-71. Bayern is a strong team, currently 3rd in the standings at 23-7 whereas Bonn is in 14th place at 10-19. However, Chris had the better stats by far in this one with 15 points in 32 minutes while Nick came off the bench and did not register a point in 15 minutes.

Nick has played 22 German league games, is averaging 11 PPG and is shooting a healthy 42% from 3PT. However, in the more competitive Euro League games, he's played 32, is averaging 6.4 PPG and is shooting 34% from 3PT.

Chris has had a long and impressive career in Europe. This year he's averaging 17.1 PPG in 27 German league games and is knocking down 36% of his 3s. Bonn didn't qualify for any of the international competitions, apparently.

The other time that these two teams matched up (March 16), Bayern Munich also won. Nick started and scored 14 but Chris didn't play. So I think that this week may have been the first time they've ever played against each other in an official game.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
A very cool event took place Wednesday in Germany's pro BB league. Former Cyclone stalwarts Nick Weiler-Babb's Bayern Munich team took on (and defeated) brother Chris Babb's Telekom Baskets Bonn's squad, 89-71. Bayern is a strong team, currently 3rd in the standings at 23-7 whereas Bonn is in 14th place at 10-19. However, Chris had the better stats by far in this one with 15 points in 32 minutes while Nick came off the bench and did not register a point in 15 minutes.

Nick has played 22 German league games, is averaging 11 PPG and is shooting a healthy 42% from 3PT. However, in the more competitive Euro League games, he's played 32, is averaging 6.4 PPG and is shooting 34% from 3PT.

Chris has had a long and impressive career in Europe. This year he's averaging 17.1 PPG in 27 German league games and is knocking down 36% of his 3s. Bonn didn't qualify for any of the international competitions, apparently.

The other time that these two teams matched up (March 16), Bayern Munich also won. Nick started and scored 14 but Chris didn't play. So I think that this week may have been the first time they've ever played against each other in an official game.

That sounds like a sweet setup. Playing pro ball in the same European country as your brother. I am sure they both make pretty good money and living in Germany would be awesome (COVID excluded). Happy for them both!

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Jazz had an afternoon match-up -- because 2021 -- and fell behind early by 15 to the Pacers but came back in the 2nd half to pull out a 119-111 win. Our boy Georges came out firing and hit his first 3 about 30 seconds into his shift. He hit two more in the 2nd half to finish with this line: 15 MIN, 9 PT, 3-8 FG, 3-7 3PT, 5 REB, 4 PF and +3. His one non-3 was a drive that found Georges' shot, um, rejected.

Georges, pumped after bailing out Clarkson:

With the Jazz's guards healthy, there were no minutes for for Matt Thomas (who's 3 for 20 from 3 with Utah so far, BTW). Donovan Mitchell rolled his ankle in this one and is going to miss some time.

The Jazz had to LA for a nationally televised game vs. the Lakers on SAT afternoon.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Probably not the matchup ESPN envisioned lol
Haha, Yeah, only missing Anthony Davis, LeBron, D. MItchell and Rudy Gobert. I'm sure they're delighted to have 3 Cyclones in there as a substitute :)

The first half was a 3-fest. Pretty entertaining stuff.

Reactions: simply1

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
As @Acylum noted, our guys didn't make a huge impact in the Lakers - Utah game but there were some contributions. The Jazz hung in there while they were shooting over 50% from 3 but fell behind as they came back to Earth; they clearly missed Donovan MItchell's creating and Rudy Gobert (The Stifle Tower) as a rim protector. The Lakers pulled away for the win but there were a couple stretches that saw 3 Cyclones on the court, which is still pretty cool.

Without Mitchell in the game, I feel like Georges at least doesn't have to stand in the corner and wait for a pass. He was more part of the flow of the offense so that was more interesting to me as a fan. Plus, he had the most minutes off the bench for Utah. He had some shots come tantalizingly close to dropping on a few drives so his final line ended up looking a little chilly: 22 MIN, 9 PT, 4-12 FG, 1-5 3PT, 5 REB, 2 AST and 2 TO.

With Conley and Mitchell both out, Matt again got short shifts in both halves. I felt like he - as well as Georges - didn't hurt them on the defensive side. He again took 3 shots - 1 from 3 - and missed them all in 7 minutes of PT. The 2 jump shots booked looked good but I suspect he's got a mental block now. He found himself in the lane in one and had his shot devoured by 2 defenders - it wasn't pretty. He's now 3 of 21 from 3pt since he joined Utah so he hasn't taken advantage of the opportunities that he had.

THT was often guarded by Georges when he was in there and a few times by Matty Ice. He wasn't really in the Lakers' offensive flow very much - kind of a strange game - but Schroeder was killing it for LA and was fairly ball-dominant in this one. Talen's line off the bench: 22 MIN, 8 PT, 3-5 FG, 2-3 FT, 5 REB, 1 AST and 1 TO. He played under control as he has most of the year.

On Friday night, Monte started in Denver's easy win over Houston. They're saying that Murray could be out 11 to 13 months with his torn ACL, so Monte will get plenty of PT. He wasn't super hot from the field but was just being Monte; he would've probably cycled back into the lineup early in the 4th but their lead was so big that they went to the deep bench instead. His line: 19 MIN, 6 PT, 2-6 FG, 0-2 3PT, 2-2 FT, 1 REB, 2 AST, 2 STL and 1 BLK (no flying in the House of Monte).

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I really hope Matt gets it figured out, that 3 was so wide open in yesterday’s game.

i do wish we could see more of the ISU Georges. I see Bogdanovic making bad plays and wish Niang had the freedom to run a game a bit. But glad he’s got an important role in any case.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Jar_Lar

Jun 5, 2018
Ames, IA
Prentiss Nixon is doing quite well for 1st Division-B Finnish team Äänekosken Huima. In 12 games (and 381 game minutes) he has scored 326 points.

Here are his stat lines for April (playoffs):

Quarterfinals v. Westside ET (95-71 and 96-72 Ws)
30 points, four rebounds and five assists.
19 points, 10 rebounds and six assists.

Semifinals v. Team Pajulahti (96-74 and 108-93 Ws)
24 points, three rebounds and four assists.
40 points, six rebounds and two steals.

Finals v. Kipinä
39 points, 12 rebounds, five assists and three steals.

Here are the last seconds from yesterday's game.

Kipinä, notably, has Junior Robinson– the 5'5" Mount St. Mary's player that could dunk when the Mitrou-Long brothers faced off in November 2016.

Check out my (non-personal) Twitter @IowaStGlobalBKB if you wish.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
2nd game of the Utah at LA Lakers is on ESPN tonight at 9pm CT.

Even with Donovan Mitchell out, assuming Conley is back tonight, there probably won't be minutes for Matt Thomas. That's my guess, anyway. THT and Georges will see some good minutes - some against each other - I'm sure.

Reactions: Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron