Coaching Search: Place your bets

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Want: Altman
Think: DeVries
Don't want: Steve Prohm (even for one more game)
BTW, people need to drop the Fred idea. It is financially irresponsible to throw that much money to make that happen in today's current pandemic world.

Last edited:

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
You Hoiberg lovers do realize the likelihood of him having immediate success like last time is very low right? People think he is going to ride in on this white horse and have us as an instant top 10 team - it isn’t happening!

he caught lightning in a bottle the first go round and likely could have sustained success - now no!

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Nothing against TJ, but the buyout costs seem steep when compared to the resume. I understand he “fits” which is very important to Pollard.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Want: Altman
Think: DeVries
Don't want: Steve Prohm (even for one more game)
BTW, people need to drop the Fred idea. It is financially irresponsible to throw that much money to make that happen in today's current pandemic world.
Most have said doners are are stepping up to pay buyouts.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
You Hoiberg lovers do realize the likelihood of him having immediate success like last time is very low right? People think he is going to ride in on this white horse and have us as an instant top 10 team - it isn’t happening!

he caught lightning in a bottle the first go round and likely could have sustained success - now no!

I don’t disagree with your premise, but if he could keep the combined key roster spots and recruits from both Iowa State and Nebraska plus fill in a key roll player gap here or there, he could have a fighting chance in year 2. That would align with his first go-around.

• Agree
Reactions: CRCySpy and mplueg

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
What were the chances of Fred turning it around in year 2 the first time? Fans are silly.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

The likelihood of him having success the first time he was here was even lower and look what happened.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
What were the chances of Fred turning it around in year 2 the first time? Fans are silly.

actually fairly high..No negatives with Fred..NBA appeal to recruits..First coach to capitalize on transfer market..

all those things are now gone..accept you can add to the list:

Negative recruiting against him...leaving for NBA..Doesn’t like to recruit etc..He left isu before he will do it again soon..etc.

So yea..The chances this time around are far far less.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Most have said doners are are stepping up to pay buyouts.
Exactly what I was told. Altman, TJ and Devries as the top 3 wish list. I’m 100% on board with Devries or even trying to get Altman but preferably Devries

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

It’s highly likely no new coach will have instant success. That doesn’t mean Hoiberg wouldn’t be a good hire for us.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
This Hoiberg talk is a mystery to me. What is his record at Nebraska? It takes awhile sure, but I thought he mentioned he never liked the recruiting part in college. He left here once..... that's enough for me.
He has a top 25 class coming in with a 5 star player and 2 other solid recruits. He may hate it, but he’s a lot better at it than some of the haters on here think he is.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I don’t think there is one person who thinks Fred will come here and instantly make us a top-10 team. Whoever comes here next, we should be ready for a rebuild that takes a couple years. As long as we can actually see improvement happening, the results will follow later.

What Fred would do is instantly inject excitement into the program. Something that is needed BAD right now.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
It’s highly likely no new coach will have instant success. That doesn’t mean Hoiberg wouldn’t be a good hire for us.

I didn’t say that either, I think people just need to temper expectations

Reactions: Statefan10

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
I don’t think there is one person who thinks Fred will come here and instantly make us a top-10 team. Whoever comes here next, we should be ready for a rebuild that takes a couple years. As long as we can actually see improvement happening, the results will follow later.

What Fred would do is instantly inject excitement into the program. Something that is needed BAD right now.

I disagree - I think several people think he and the program will be right back to where we were when he left and that’s not realistic. Not saying he can’t do it over time but people need to temper that expectation

Minnyclonenut

Mar 1, 2021
Fwiw, TJ had a bad break at UNLV this year, UNLV had a LONG layoff (over a month) in the middle of the season, during which their point guard was lost, to a stress fracture. They just weren't able to recover, but have been right there in many games. He had brought in a bunch of freshmen, but with this covid year, said that he probably wouldn't have done that, and would have gone after the transfer market more, had he known what the year would bring. He'd do much better at ISU.

UNLV had their second worst season ever! We can spin that however we want. That’s with grill, Jenkins, and a pro prospect in Bryce Hamilton.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I disagree - I think several people think he and the program will be right back to where we were when he left and that’s not realistic. Not saying he can’t do it over time but people need to temper that expectation
Yeah there will always be people that are unrealistic. People forget that although we were incredibly fun to watch in years 2-3 of Fred, we weren’t great teams. We had some very good players (Royce) but we were an 8 seed in year two and a 10 seed in year 3 with Fred.