High school football schedule

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
What do you think of the latest proposal for the football season? Seven district games and all teams advancing to the playoffs, forfeits will not be factored into the records for seeding purposes. I hope it gets us through the season.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://www.iahsaa.org/football-2020-revised-schedule/

The first practice (August 10) and first competition (August 27) dates are currently unchanged in this revision, as are the weeks for state semifinals (November 13-15) and finals (November 20-21).

This revised plan was approved by the Board of Control on Friday. The IHSAA plans to release further fall season and sport-specific guidance next week. Team schedules will be compiled and released when available.

2020 Scheduling Plan
REGULAR SEASON: A seven-week regular season will be conducted. Teams will have the option of scheduling five, six, or seven games within those seven weeks.

POSTSEASON: All teams in all classes will qualify for the postseason. Brackets will consist of six rounds for each classification. The IHSAA will determine postseason pairings with geography, quality, and team availability as primary considerations. This is intended to be a one-time measure for postseason formatting.

OPTIONAL DATES: Week 1 and Week 2 will be optional game dates. Opponents, locations, and participation may determined by member schools in 11-player football.

RPI FORMULA: With all teams allowed entry into the postseason, the Ratings Percentage Index will not be utilized in 2020 to determine at-large berths or seeding.

DISTRICT GAMES: Teams in Classes 3A, 2A, 1A, and A will play their scheduled district games in the previously established order. This change means the prior Week 5 becomes Week 3, Week 6 becomes Week 4, etc., in this revised plan.

CLASS 4A: Participating schools will schedule their own regular season games. The previously announced group format and success model will not be implemented in 2020. The IHSAA encourages conferences to collaborate in creating their schedules.

EIGHT-PLAYER: Teams will play Week 3 through Week 9 of their previously announced schedules in what is now Week 1 through Week 7. Due to the number of teams in the classification, Eight-Player has opponents scheduled on the optional dates of Week 1 and Week 2. Teams in Eight-Player may opt out of those contests, but may not change opponents or locations unless an agreement is reached with all participating teams and the IHSAA.

MISSING GAMES: Due to the potential of positive COVID-19 cases forcing players and teams to miss games in the 2020 regular season, the revised plan does not penalize teams with a loss or forfeit due to state, county, or local health department determinations. A missed game due to COVID-19 will be considered a “no contest” and will not be made up. Teams may work with the IHSAA and new possible opponents should they have open dates due to scheduled opponents missing games.

OUT OF STATE GAMES: Teams with scheduled games against out of state opponents may attempt to reschedule those contests during the optional Week 1 or Week 2.

TEAM PARTICIPATION: Providing for start dates as currently scheduled, the IHSAA requests member schools state their intent to participate in football’s regular season and postseason by August 17.

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
I like having everybody make the playoffs, essentially the same as "substate" for other sports.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
What do you think of the latest proposal for the football season? Seven district games and all teams advancing to the playoffs, forfeits will not be factored into the records for seeding purposes. I hope it gets us through the season.

Let's see.....because of positive testing, a team only plays 2 games, losses both.......and makes the playoffs. While a team that played and won all 7 games....misses the playoffs because their positive testing came right before the playoffs. What's not to like? It's a plan drawn up by a child.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Yes it is. But you only have to play 5 games max, so far as they have put out in their text. It might mean 5 is the minimum games to get in. High school basket ball lets everybody in the districts.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
With all of the variables, it's about the closest they could get to a normal season.

*3A, 2A, 1A, and A still play their entire district schedule. Schools are free to choose how many non-district games (0, 1, or 2) they want to play, based on their own local circumstances.
*8-man districts will play most, if not all, of their district schedule.
*4A will likely play conference/regional opponents (which has the side effect of appeasing the "traditionalists").
*No school is punished for playing a fewer number of games than another.
*Schools have the option to simply opt out of the season.
*Everybody in the playoffs (which also appeases the "participation trophy" crowd).

I'm curious to see how the 8-man playoffs are structured, though, given that there are currently 68 teams in that class, and the preliminary playoff structure calls for a field of 64.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
State of Illinois just announced they are moving football season to the Spring:

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Yes it is. But you only have to play 5 games max, so far as they have put out in their text. It might mean 5 is the minimum games to get in. High school basket ball lets everybody in the districts.

Apples-Oranges. Can you see teams in a Big Twelve football tourney playing 4 games in four nights?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It's irresponsible to play HS football this fall. I know colleges are playing but HS won't be policed anywhere close to NCAA standards. Contact and body fluids could be a deadly combination. At minimum participants should be quarantined from the rest of the student body throughout the season. This is just another example of how out of touch Boone really is.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
It's irresponsible to play HS football this fall. I know colleges are playing but HS won't be policed anywhere close to NCAA standards. Contact and body fluids could be a deadly combination. At minimum participants should be quarantined from the rest of the student body throughout the season. This is just another example of how out of touch Boone really is.
tell this to the 'baseball worked in Iowa' crowd

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
tell this to the 'baseball worked in Iowa' crowd

Completely different situation.

Baseball stopped the game when a player went to their face or mouth and sanitized.

In Football body fluids are exchanged by multiple players ever single play. Are they going to sanitize after every play?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

Baseball stopped the game when a player went to their face or mouth and sanitized.

In Football body fluids are exchanged by multiple players ever single play. Are they going to sanitize after every play?
i agree with you, i'm talking about others on here

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

My son plays both sports. He's a senior and I can't see where I'm comfortable with him on the field this fall.

Flipping spring and fall sports makes way to much sense for Boone to consider it.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Let's see.....because of positive testing, a team only plays 2 games, losses both.......and makes the playoffs. While a team that played and won all 7 games....misses the playoffs because their positive testing came right before the playoffs. What's not to like? It's a plan drawn up by a child.

There is a lot of momentum toward one positive test will not shut the entire team down. One kid will sit out and the rest of the team will continue to be closely monitored.

Honestly, its the only model that has any chance going forward. Keep in mind, the kid is also going to school. 1 positive test cannot shut an entire school down.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
There is a lot of momentum toward one positive test will not shut the entire team down. One kid will sit out and the rest of the team will continue to be closely monitored.

Honestly, its the only model that has any chance going forward. Keep in mind, the kid is also going to school. 1 positive test cannot shut an entire school down.

First.....I hope you are right with one case not shutting things down.....I really do. As for models...those on the front of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue have more of a chance of being correct. And the 1 positive test cannot shut down an entire school....don't be so sure. It did last spring, and teachers who don't want to open this fall have already sent their obituaries to the governor.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cytown12

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
First.....I hope you are right with one case not shutting things down.....I really do. As for models...those on the front of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue have more of a chance of being correct. And the 1 positive test cannot shut down an entire school....don't be so sure. It did last spring, and teachers who don't want to open this fall have already sent their obituaries to the governor.

Teachers that don’t want to die are such freaking babies.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
The biggest question is how many 0 win teams reaching the "playoffs" for the first time in a long time, possibly ever, will sell playoff t shirts.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
How did it fail? Yes some teams had their season cut short, but everyone played. Were there any High School players that died of covid? I didn’t hear of any.
high school kids were tested constantly? right. There's also no long term effects from covid thankfully that would come back to bite them in the ass later.