Talk to me about Jim Walden

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I'll never understand why he wouldn't play a guy who rushed for more than 4000 yards the next 2 seasons.

According to Mr Walden ...Troy Davis could not learn his position on the Wishbone Offense.....esp the blocking assignments...the funny thing is that Troy Davis ran back a kickoff out in boulder against the buffs.....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Btw Criner could coach but could not recruit to Iowa State. He went on to coach in the Workd Football League and won the championship. That was an old league overseas that kind of served as the NFL minor league.

The Bartles and James commercials that Johnny and Jim Walden recreated were fantastic.

One thing I can say about Jim Criner ...I can't remember him losing to Kansas State .....My wife and me always went on the road to Mizzou and Kansas...One year in Lawrence KS it was homecoming and rained the entire game and Rich Frank kicked the winning field goal as time ran out.....That was Jimmy Criners last year.....

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One thing I can say about Jim Criner ...I can't remember him losing to Kansas State .....My wife and me always went on the road to Mizzou and Kansas...One year in Lawrence KS it was homecoming and rained the entire game and Rich Frank kicked the winning field goal as time ran out.....That was Jimmy Criners last year.....

That was pre Snyder though. Apples to oranges. Before Snyder Kstate was fighting for worst program ever championship.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The rumor has been around for years that Bill Snyder wanted the job when ISU hired Walden, and ISU refused to even give him an interview. That cemented the course for the hate that Snyder had for ISU from that point on, and when he turned KSU around, he tended to take that lost of opportunity out on ISU every chance he got.

That's NOT A RUMOR but a fact...Bill Snyder desperately wanted a head coaching job and wanted the ISU job and almost had it, until Hayden Fry tried to help him get the ISU job....That's when the great minds at ISU decided on Jimmy Dean Walden.....the rest is history and KState became a football power under Bill Snyder and we became an also ran .....The one thing that Dan McCarney insisted upon was building better football facilities, Danny Mac said that ISU was a Division One School with Division Two facilities and Dan was right on the money....It started with the renovation and expansion of the Jacobsen Building...and the rest is history as they say...GO Cyclones

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

That was pre Snyder though. Apples to oranges. Before Snyder Kstate was fighting for worst program ever championship.

Yeah KSU used to be so bad that programs like ISU would mark THEM as an auto-W.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That's NOT A RUMOR but a fact...Bill Snyder desperately wanted a head coaching job and wanted the ISU job and almost had it, until Hayden Fry tried to help him get the ISU job....That's when the great minds at ISU decided on Jimmy Dean Walden.....the rest is history and KState became a football power under Bill Snyder and we became an also ran .....The one thing that Dan McCarney insisted upon was building better football facilities, Danny Mac said that ISU was a Division One School with Division Two facilities and Dan was right on the money....It started with the renovation and expansion of the Jacobsen Building...and the rest is history as they say...GO Cyclones

I thought Fry tried to convince Snyder not to go to ISU, or was that Mac?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Plenty of good points pro and con brought up in this thread.

I was in school and a young alum from 1989-94, and I only missed one home game (KU in 1990) - as I was out of town (FSU @ Miami game with my brother). The 1989 team was exciting and showed promise for the future, but 1990-4 flat out sucked even with the Upset wins over OU in 1990, Nebraska in 1992 and K-State in 1993. He definitely didn't have the fan / admin support that we had in the 70s or have now.

However, I do not think he would have succeeded with today's support either. To me, the biggest issue with Walden as a HC was that like Rhoads, he could put together a solid Xs and Os game plan for a single game, but he had no concept of how to build a PROGRAM like Earle Bruce or Matt Campbell for the long haul. Just my opinion. I was glad to see him go as HC, but I have always wished him the best in life and as a human being. No issues with him in that department.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I remember one year, we played Colorado at Colorado, and hung almost 50 points on them. Of course we still lost, because our defenses were always worse than horrible, but the very next game a really good Nebraska team had trouble scoring 14 points on the same Colorado team at home.

I have wondered what would happen if we took a time machine and combined a Campbell/Heacock defense with a Walden offense. A national championship would not be out of the question.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
I was visiting a relatives house today and discovered a signed photo of Jim Walden. I am a somewhat younger Cyclone who grew up playing on the hillsides pretending to be Troy. So, I was a bit young to have any first hand memories or knowledge of the Walden Era. I do have some second hand knowledge of him but would like to become more educated on this time of Cyclone Football. I thoroughly realize that this was not a good era by any stretch and I have heard that he was far from a great coach like the one we have now. But I know that if I ask this question on here, I will likely get a wealth of information on Mr. Walden. TIA
Should I respond? Hmm

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Pretty sure there was no Jacobson building when Mac was hired. Mac and gene smith got that built along with the press box. Then it was Mac and BVDV that built the IPF.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
According to Mr Walden ...Troy Davis could not learn his position on the Wishbone Offense.....esp the blocking assignments...the funny thing is that Troy Davis ran back a kickoff out in boulder against the buffs.....
First time he touched the ball.