Blake Hinson Committed To ISU!

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

Let’s face it... all coaches are going to have guys they reach on or ones that don’t pan out. The refreshing thing with both prohm and hoiberg is that the guys that don’t make it, transfer out and we replace with better talent. Something a coach mcd could never do. He lost all his good talent and replaced with worse.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Luckily Fred didn’t play any of those guys. Much less start them in a conference game.
Fair point. Yeah, in terms of what we needed him to come into do, I'm not sure it gets worse than Beverly. I am not sure why the staff felt so desperate. Had Steve needed to bring him in to round out that first class he had to scrape together it may have been acceptable, but he didn't cuz that team was loaded. Steve had to learn the hard way with Beverly. Was there some kind of extenuating circumstances that caused him to start Beverly? I can't imagine that was the plan when he originally signed. He came in with Talley who might've otherwise eaten into his minutes but had off court issues that first year if I recall.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Fair point. Yeah, in terms of what we needed him to come into do, I'm not sure it gets worse than Beverly. I am not sure why the staff felt so desperate. Had Steve needed to bring him in to round out that first class he had to scrape together it may have been acceptable, but he didn't cuz that team was loaded. Steve had to learn the hard way with Beverly. Was there some kind of extenuating circumstances that caused him to start Beverly? I can't imagine that was the plan when he originally signed. He came in with Talley who might've otherwise eaten into his minutes but had off court issues that first year if I recall.

He just struck out on all his Plan A and Plan B types.

Shakur Juiston was probably the most damaging one, and remember that we were supposed to have Manny Malou for a second year then, too.

Talley was hurt the early part of that year, if I remember, not in the doghouse.

Beverly was basically a warm body... might not have had a high ceiling, but at least maybe a high floor, so we had to bring in somebody at that point. Beverly seemed to really want to come to Ames, so we picked him up.

Turn out double-nickles did not even have a high floor.

I do not want to be mean to the guy. He tried pretty hard, and even if he did walk out on the team (and came back), I understand him being really frustrated with that year. We all were. Everything that went wrong was far from his fault.

I think that offseason (and Nixon) probably taught Prohm and the staff two things...

(1.) Don't reach. Meh mid-major guys are not the answer.

(2.) Be patient. Let the board develop. You never know what might happen late.

Clyde4cy

Oct 22, 2018
Steve’s learning curve for spring recruiting was not as steep as I would have liked but he seems to have it down now. No major reaches the last 2 springs.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I don’t think Grill was a reach. He was raw and struggled to find his shot, but I think he was a legit recruit last spring.

Tech and K State wanted him. I thought he was a good get at the time; disappointed it didn’t work out

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Tech and K State wanted him. I thought he was a good get at the time; disappointed it didn’t work out

Grill was a good get. He was a developmental 4 year player who wasn’t ready day one, exactly what a 3 star rated player is suppose to be.
I think we’ll be watching Caleb benefit from his sit out year and be quite good at UNLV as a JR (and would have been in Ames in 2 years too).

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Grill is the only guy to have left early that I think we might kind of miss someday. Then again, he was pretty bad last year... sorry to the Grill family... so the odds are against even that. Maybe he turns into a good player out in Las Vegas for UNLV.

If he had really seized a guard spot last year, we'd feel a lot better right now.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Grill is the only guy to have left early that I think we might kind of miss someday. Then again, he was pretty bad last year... sorry to the Grill family... so the odds are against even that. Maybe he turns into a good player out in Las Vegas for UNLV.

If he had really seized a guard spot last year, we'd feel a lot better right now.

yeah

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

ISU targeted 3 HS guards in the spring 2019 cycle

Sahvir Wheeler
Clarence Nadolny
Caleb Grill

unfortunately they landed the “worst” one

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Who leads the team next year in these categories (assuming Harris and Hinson are eligible)?

Pts/gm
Reb/gm
3 pt FG Made
Steals/gm
Assists/gm

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Who leads the team next year in these categories (assuming Harris and Hinson are eligible)?

Pts/gm
Reb/gm
3 pt FG Made
Steals/gm
Assists/gm
Bolton
Solomon
Bolton
Hinson
Bolton/Harris

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
He just struck out on all his Plan A and Plan B types.

Shakur Juiston was probably the most damaging one, and remember that we were supposed to have Manny Malou for a second year then, too.

Talley was hurt the early part of that year, if I remember, not in the doghouse.

Beverly was basically a warm body... might not have had a high ceiling, but at least maybe a high floor, so we had to bring in somebody at that point. Beverly seemed to really want to come to Ames, so we picked him up.

Turn out double-nickles did not even have a high floor.

I do not want to be mean to the guy. He tried pretty hard, and even if he did walk out on the team (and came back), I understand him being really frustrated with that year. We all were. Everything that went wrong was far from his fault.

I think that offseason (and Nixon) probably taught Prohm and the staff two things...

(1.) Don't reach. Meh mid-major guys are not the answer.

(2.) Be patient. Let the board develop. You never know what might happen late.

That season was rough but I went down to the Puerto Rico/Myrtle beach tourney. That was a fun weekend too bad the rest of the season went down hill. Injuries did that team no favors. If I'm thinking about the wrong team sorry about that and ignore.

Last yrs team was just flat out bad IMO and it was a tough yr to find bright spots in the season.