HS BB & SB

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Does anyone find it strange that high school baseball and softball will be starting up here in Iowa, but professional sports are not starting, yet?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Does anyone find it strange that high school baseball and softball will be starting up here in Iowa, but professional sports are not starting, yet?

Would be interesting what other states would be playing also if Iowa wasn't the only state with summer HS baseball/softball.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
How do they social distance in the dugout?

https://www.iahsaa.org/baseball-guidance-2020/

SD2) For social distancing guidelines, during games where should additional players be placed in the dugout?

A2) Per guidelines from the Department of Education and the Department of Public Health, use of dugouts are permitted during games only. Players should spread out as much as possible unless they are actively participating in the game. NFHS rules allow for dugouts/media areas to be extended down the foul lines, outside of the playing area. Additionally, bleachers can be placed directly behind the dugouts for additional seating for team personnel.

SD3) Who will be allowed in the dugout during contests?

A3) Essential personnel only are permitted on the field of play. These are defined as players, coaches, trainers and umpires. All others, i.e., ball/bat boys, managers, statisticians, pitch count designees, media, photographers, etc., are considered non-essential personnel and are not to be in the dugout or extended dugout area. This is in effect for regular season and post season.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Our little league cancelled the season, so yeah I am a little surprised.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Not really. High school sports don't have 10-20k people in an arena or stadium. Also don't require the athletes to take cross country flights multiple times per week.

I don't see an out break resulting from an outdoor high school baseball game.

Last edited:

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Not really. High school sports don't have 10-20k people in an arena or stadium. Also don't require the athletes to take cross country flights multiple times per week.

I don't see an out breaking resulting from an outdoor high school baseball game.
school buses...bleacher capacity...folding chairs...dugout..the game...

Last edited:

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
school buses...bleacher capacity...folding chairs...the game...
What's the criteria to be "safe"? Zero risk of transmission? Then you may never play a baseball game again.

I view high school outdoor sports as having small transmission risks, and if the virus is transmitted, it will be to a small number of people. Have the players ride with their parents or drive themselves to games if you want to avoid bus rides. Or don't share seats and keep a few windows down to keep good air flow. Folding chairs are only used by the person that brought them so I don't see an issue. If you sit in the bleachers, stay in the same spot and don't sit elbow to elbow with someone else. Very small risk of transmission.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Many schools have already cancelled their season, and it's reasonable to suspect more will once the full list of guidelines comes out from the Association and Union (supposed to be early this week, so I'm assuming tomorrow.)

For those that are still in play, it's been incredible watching the AD's at work, from reconfiguring conferences, finding officials for games, and finding games.

For me, this week and next week are huge weeks. The end of this week will be interesting, as I do think we'll see schools drop out, coaches quit, and players leave a sport they love due to this pandemic.

That being said, I'm amped up for the opportunity for kids to play ball this summer.

Reactions: CTTB78

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Many schools have already cancelled their season, and it's reasonable to suspect more will once the full list of guidelines comes out from the Association and Union (supposed to be early this week, so I'm assuming tomorrow.)

For those that are still in play, it's been incredible watching the AD's at work, from reconfiguring conferences, finding officials for games, and finding games.

For me, this week and next week are huge weeks. The end of this week will be interesting, as I do think we'll see schools drop out, coaches quit, and players leave a sport they love due to this pandemic.

That being said, I'm amped up for the opportunity for kids to play ball this summer.

You think many kids won't play? Daughters school has 2 out of the whole school who are thinking it over, rest are a go. A neighboring school has cancelled and several from that school are reaching out to see if they could play with another school for the season.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
You think many kids won't play? Daughters school has 2 out of the whole school who are thinking it over, rest are a go. A neighboring school has cancelled and several from that school are reaching out to see if they could play with another school for the season.

I don't think a ton will quit, but I do see some dropping out. If I wasn't great at baseball or didn't have a bright future within the program or was just out to hang with the boys, I'm not sure I'd go out.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
It’s been interesting watching my daughter. She’s been working on hitting hoping to have a season, but kind of half heartedly. In fact a lot of what she was doing (homework, workouts, ...) seemed... forced.

But, when they announced the season It was like a switch, all of the sudden she had a purpose and something to look forward to. Whole new attitude and better overall effort in her life.

I don’t know how this will all pan out, but it’s been a breath of fresh air for her.

Reactions: Clarence Butthorn

Help Support Us

Become a patron