Cross-country move cost?

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have hired movers to move me from Denver to Austin, then Austin to Waukee. 2BR apartment each time. I cannot stress enough, if you use a service or broker, make sure they look at what you need moved. The move to Austin was $3,000, the move move from Austin to Waukee was $5,000. I got completely screwed on the move here. Broker didn’t estimate right, I had to drop another $1,000 instantly to get my stuff back. Purple Heart Movers...they ended up being brokers, not he actual movers I that were reviewed and I ended up paying more..

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have hired movers to move me from Denver to Austin, then Austin to Waukee. 2BR apartment each time. I cannot stress enough, if you use a service or broker, make sure they look at what you need moved. The move to Austin was $3,000, the move move from Austin to Waukee was $5,000. I got completely screwed on the move here. Broker didn’t estimate right, I had to drop another $1,000 instantly to get my stuff back. Purple Heart Movers...they ended up being brokers, not he actual movers I that were reviewed and I ended up paying more..

Wow, that sucks. Sorry you got screwed. With United, the pricing was by weight of cargo. They had a guy come walk through our house with an iPad and do a rough inventory. That estimated the weight and we made a deposit based on that amount. Then the final total was adjusted once the truck was weighed when full. As I recall it was slightly less than they estimated.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
One thing to be aware of with the big outfits is that your stuff doesn’t always go directly from point A to point B. If you don’t fill up a full truck, or say you use 1.5 trucks, they may take your things to a distribution center where they will sit until they can fill the truck with other orders. This also creates the chance that your stuff gets mixed in with some random family’s things.

Our experience with United was good overall but it did take 3 weeks to get our stuff after they picked it up in Omaha. It was a little annoying as that’s only a 5.5 hr drive. Not trying to scare you away, but this is something to be aware of.

Ive done the big movers twice (Allied and United) with my old company and they’ve done a great job. One went direct from one house to the next. The other moved my stuff across 4 or 5 different states/cities but it was still only like 6 days or something like that and my stuff never left the truck.

I’m not sure if it was the movers that hired the guys on each end or the 3rd party my company used to set everything up but holy hell they were efficient. It took me two days to move the same **** they packed up and loaded/unloaded in around 3 hours.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ive done the big movers twice (Allied and United) with my old company and they’ve done a great job. One went direct from one house to the next. The other moved my stuff across 4 or 5 different states/cities but it was still only like 6 days or something like that and my stuff never left the truck.

I’m not sure if it was the movers that hired the guys on each end or the 3rd party my company used to set everything up but holy hell they were efficient. It took me two days to move the same **** they packed up and loaded/unloaded in around 3 hours.

Other than the timing issue, we had a great experience with United as well. Very efficient, didn't break/lose anything. The truck driver and delivery guys were great. They put boxes where I asked and were quite helpful.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
It's been six years and I don't remember the exact cost, but we used PODS to move cross country. I was pleased because I could pack it the way I wanted and do it at my pace. They stored it for me for six months, it was 80% of our stuff. When we bought another house, they brought it and dropped it off in the driveway within an hour of when they said they would. A week later, they came and got the empty trailer. The only damage was some dining table chairs that has some scrapes on the top and I could have protected them better.

I believe it was under $3k including the storage fees. If I had a house waiting for me, I would have paid movers. Since we had to rent for a short period and definitely wouldn't have had room to store everything (nor did I want to move it all twice).

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
We're moving to CoSprings shortly so we get to do a move! Anyone do a cross-country move recently using a professional moving company? I don't want to call to get estimates yet, but curious what others experiences have been?

I HAD looked at Pods but good GOD they ask a lot of money! As a comparison, we're driving over a 12' van with unlimited miles for 6 days over the long weekend and Budget is only charging $300...

I won't (can't) move on our own - lazy, old and have too many artificial parts and despite the fact we're taking a load over on our own already. We have a basic 2-3 room home, no packing needed and we're driving our own cars but I've been out of this market for decades...

Anywho - curious about others' recent experiences...

Toodles.
Dude, I just moved to Springs. There is a good Cyclone presence out here and a local bar hosts game watches. Do you know what part of town you're going to live in? Two houses for sale on my street, just sayin'. PM me.

We bit the bullet and hired professional movers, although a local company that said they'd run out to CO. I want to say it was $7-8K when it was all said and done.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
I know nothing of their costs, but I've seen recently that the trucking line Old Dominion will move your stuff. I'm assuming they drop a trailer, you load it, and they haul it to point B.

Edit: Looks like that's the case. You can actually plug in the two area codes (to/from) and the date you want to move and you'll get an instant quote without entering personal info. For reference sake, I plugged in a central Iowa zip to Dallas, TX for mid July and it's just over $2,000. Also, the further out you book, the better the rates. I'm definitely looking hard at this option next time I move.

https://www.odmove.com/ODMove/

This is what we did 3 years ago. NEIA to DFW. They dropped a trailer, you can rent a portion of the trailer if you wish or do not need the whole thing. It is charged by the foot. I loaded the trailer myself over the course of a week or so as we cleaned out our home. They then took it to DFW and we called when we were ready for it. They give you three days once it reaches its destination city to get it unloaded. That cost me $1750. Then I hired some help from the local Home Depot. Gave them each $40, some fast food and case of beer to haul everything to the rooms in the new house. All done under $2K.

Reactions: Stewo

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I’ve always appreciated that it’s easier to get a quote from SpaceX than PODS.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
We've done 2 big (4 bed house) corporate moves, the last being KC to CO. I think it was Allied, and cost $5-6k.

First one was DSM to KC and one of the packing guys had started in our bedroom, which wasn't ready for boxing. That guy didn't come back the next day and my wife "lost" her engagement ring.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I just pulled up the invoice from my corporate move from just outside NYC to Houston TX: Single guy, with a two bedroom apartments worth of junk/stuff (I'm a bit of a packrat). No vehicle move.

-Transport, load/unload: $6,000 (7300 lbs of stuff, I should have done a better job of purging prior to moving)

-Packing (they packed/boxed all my stuff in NY): ~$1900

Shuttles on both ends (they couldn't get the semi into either location so they had to transload everything): 2 @ ~$945 EA

All told with the corporate discount: ~$9200

All our corporate moves are through United Van Lines. I'd had a good expereince with both the packers and the actual movers. Leaving NY they showed up at 8 AM and all of my stuff was boxed and in the truck by 1:30 PM. The only thing I've had get broken was two cheap pressboard bookcases from Target which had already been moved once. Not a huge loss.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron