Anyone else see the Starlink Satellite Constellation last Saturday?

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I was sitting outside Saturday night smoking a cigar at about 8:15. Looked up and noticed a light moving across the sky. Looked like the space station ( only a bit dimmer). Shortly after, noticed a similar light on the exact same path across the sky. They kept coming and in about 10 minutes there were probably 20 evenly spaced object following the exact same path across the sky from due west to Northeast.

I called my son-in-law to make sure I was not crazy and he saw them as well. After a quick Facebook search he found out it was Elon Musk's Starlink Satellites. Anyone else see this? I'm guessing there is a way find out when they are visible in a given location. I live on outskirts of Cedar Rapids and even with the high degree of ambient light was able to see them fairly decent.

Reactions: cyputz

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I did not but will put it on my list! That will have to replace the old Iridium flares.

Unfortunately I now live in middle of CR, and anything dimmer than Rigel is pretty hard to make out... that's the one thing I miss about living outside of town.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I saw a couple of Irridium flares. Those were interesting to look out for. There will be plenty of opportunities to see Starlink trains, the way SpaceX is putting them up.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I was sitting outside Saturday night smoking a cigar at about 8:15. Looked up and noticed a light moving across the sky. Looked like the space station ( only a bit dimmer). Shortly after, noticed a similar light on the exact same path across the sky. They kept coming and in about 10 minutes there were probably 20 evenly spaced object following the exact same path across the sky from due west to Northeast.

I called my son-in-law to make sure I was not crazy and he saw them as well. After a quick Facebook search he found out it was Elon Musk's Starlink Satellites. Anyone else see this? I'm guessing there is a way find out when they are visible in a given location. I live on outskirts of Cedar Rapids and even with the high degree of ambient light was able to see them fairly decent.
https://findstarlink.com/

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
My fiancé and I were outside Monday night after Easter enjoying the pleasant weather and saw close to 30 of them in about 20 minutes. One of the craziest things I'd ever seen. I didn't know they were part of a "Starlink Train". Pretty crazy stuff. 600 Mbps download speed service anticipated being available anywhere in the US and Canada by the mid 2020's... that will revolutionize things for sure, especially in rural areas.

Last edited:

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Quite the spectacle. Had poor cell service but a friend knew what they were. Couldn’t google anything, but got some texts sent out to inquire. 20-30 perfectly spaced out (so to speak) satellites.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Just watched Starlink over Ankeny. Went over at nearly 50 degrees, so great visibility. It was much more impressive than I would have thought- an endless string of satellites! If you didn't know what you were seeing, that would probably freak you out a bit.

Reactions: Acylum

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Sooooo any good conspiracy theories about what these lights ACTUALLY are???

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
They are supposed to be visible again tonight in Eastern IA.
9:20 PM low in Southern Sky. Coming out of SW and heading South.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
According to findstarlink.com, Starlink may be viewable Friday morning shortly after 5am. It's going to go from SW to NE, almost directly over the top near 90 degrees. More visibility tomorrow night as well.

Apparently, they've made adjustments to some of the satellites to reduce visibility. Anyone know what we could expect to see tomorrow?

Last edited:

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
I believe there was another recent launch, but there is a chain visible again in Iowa. Just watched it go SW to N in Ankeny around 9:45. A chain of about a dozen was clearly visible tonight.

Even when you know what they are, it's no less cool to see.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
I saw them last night and again tonight. We are in the country so not much light pollution and we could see the whole string.

Reactions: psychlone99