Garza declares for the NBA

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
These are unprecedented times. I think there will be kids back on campus next fall and games played, but who knows.

Garza was a top 3 college player this year based on what he did on court. I realize the NBA oozes over potential, but Garza's skills on the court are unquestioned. He has the unusual blend of great post moves, but can also pop-out and be a high volume 3 point shooter and shoot about the same rate as the average guard. Add to that he is a solid rebounder.

IMO some team will take a chance on him in the 1st round.

This draft will be unique, because I could see fewer international players making themselves available for the draft. Also, I believe the 2021 draft include HS seniors and it would not surprise me if they make up 30-50% of guys drafted.
I would be shocked if someone drafts him in the first round but you never know.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

Here is what he Told Dockerman:

"I'm not gonna go in without 100% confidence of being able to make a roster. I don't see any interest in ending up in the G league without any type of deal or anything like that"..

That is different than what Kahkert said. He's basically saying he wants to be assured a contract. You don't have to be drafted to get a contract.

If Luka thinks a NBA team..without being able to conduct workouts or anything...is going to guarantee him a Roster spot I have news for him..lol.. That isn't going to happen now or a year from now.

THT was drafted in 2nd rd...Played in G league all year...and is making Millions..

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
All joking aside I hope he finds professional success, whether it be this year or next, because he seems like a good kid and I respect the way he plays and the amount of work he's put in. Go get your money if it's out there.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
People forget that Garza’s dad is a crook who local media loves to slob over.

His past misdeeds wouldn't bother me as much if this wasn't the case. The morning rush show with him was insufferable. And promoting his merchandise (to the surprise of no one Sean was dumb enough to buy a shirt).

Even if he's redeemed himself, not a person I'm going to give my not-so-hard-earned money to.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Was there a recent troll spraying?

source.gif

giphy.gif

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

"I'm not gonna go in without 100% confidence of being able to make a roster. I don't see any interest in ending up in the G league without any type of deal or anything like that"..

That is different than what Kahkert said. He's basically saying he wants to be assured a contract. You don't have to be drafted to get a contract.

If Luka thinks a NBA team..without being able to conduct workouts or anything...is going to guarantee him a Roster spot I have news for him..lol.. That isn't going to happen now or a year from now.

THT was drafted in 2nd rd...Played in G league all year...and is making Millions..

THT went in knowing he'd be drafted at least somewhere in round 2 but I think it was a coin flip if he got signed to a two way deal or a roster.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
All joking aside I hope he finds professional success, whether it be this year or next, because he seems like a good kid and I respect the way he plays and the amount of work he's put in.

Yea he definitely works his butt off and kudos to him for improving his game..

wts..He gets any type of 2-3 yr guarantee with some guaranteed $$ i'd say hes prob gone. He could get hurt...His stock will never be higher...this draft will never be weaker.

Iowa media certainly thinking that Garza will return bc he only leaves if he's guaranteed a Roster spot in NBA.. Garza and his Dad and anyone knows that a Roster spot is earned..No player is guaranteed a Roster spot.

That's like a JR in college football entering draft and staying only if a team guarantees him a Roster spot..That's never happened.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
THT went in knowing he'd be drafted at least somewhere in round 2 but I think it was a coin flip if he got signed to a two way deal or a roster.

No player ever gets automatically guaranteed a Roster spot.

Tyrese H will go in the Lottery and prob play all year in the G league.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yea he definitely works his butt off and kudos to him for improving his game..

wts..He gets any type of 2-3 yr guarantee with some guaranteed $$ i'd say hes prob gone. He could get hurt...His stock will never be higher...this draft will never be weaker.

Iowa media certainly thinking that Garza will return bc he only leaves if he's guaranteed a Roster spot in NBA.. Garza and his Dad and anyone knows that a Roster spot is earned..No player is guaranteed a Roster spot.

That's like a JR in college football entering draft and staying only if a team guarantees him a Roster spot..That's never happened.
As I have said and others on here have said, if Garza is told there's a chance to get drafted or a potential chance of being signed to a roster after the draft, he's not coming back. The whole 100% chance thing is dumb because that's not how any of this works.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
If he does come back, Iowa has a pretty loaded team next year.
Loaded? Yup Touissant and Connor really put the pieces together along with Wieskamp. LOL they finished with double digit losses again on a year they have a guy like Garza literally carry the whole team. The only reason this team even did what they did this year was because everyone had to do everything they could to limit Garza.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Agents will be permitted to pay for meals and transportation for players and their families during the agent selection process and for meetings with pro teams, if changes are made to existing agent acts and state laws.

Players can also now return to school after going undrafted without losing eligibility, but only if they participated in the NBA combine.

So if im reading this right players can only go thru draft and return if undrafted if and only if they attended the Combine?

In the past, if a college basketball player declared for the draft, they had until 10 days after the draft combine to return to school.

Now, players can go through the draft and have the ability to return to school if they go undrafted, as long as they inform the school’s athletic director by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft. Say Maryland’s Kevin Huerter, for example, didn’t get drafted in the first two rounds — he’d be able to play for the Terps again.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/bs-sp-ncaa-new-rules-20180808-story.html

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Among the most significant changes are the new rules that allow players participate in the NBA combine but are not selected in the draft to return to school, provide financial assistance to players who leave school early and wish to return later to finish their degree, and give "elite" high school and college athletes the opportunity to be represented by an agent. Agents must be certified by an NCAA program.

The NCAA clarified that this rule would only apply after the NBA and NBPA begin allowing players to be drafted out of high school, meaning 2021 at the earliest.

So I am not sure this rule is in effect now or not.

https://www.si.com/college/2018/08/...-reforms-undrafted-players-return-agent-rules

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
In the past, if a college basketball player declared for the draft, they had until 10 days after the draft combine to return to school.

Now, players can go through the draft and have the ability to return to school if they go undrafted, as long as they inform the school’s athletic director by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft. Say Maryland’s Kevin Huerter, for example, didn’t get drafted in the first two rounds — he’d be able to play for the Terps again.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/bs-sp-ncaa-new-rules-20180808-story.html

There has been some confusion on this point...I believe the NCAA was planning on implementing this rule but has not. I remember this being discussed last year when Tyler Cook declared for the draft.

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017

Dochterman/Kakert in damage control mode for the Hawk fan base rn- they realize what no Garza would mean for next season’s glory year. If Garza thinks he’s getting that kind of guarantee he might as well pull his name out today. It’s all about knowing how big your stick is and he isn’t the level of player to command that kind of assurance.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Dochterman/Kakert in damage control mode for the Hawk fan base rn- they realize what no Garza would mean for next season’s glory year. If Garza thinks he’s getting that kind of guarantee he might as well pull his name out today. It’s all about knowing how big your stick is and he isn’t the level of player to command that kind of assurance.
I think that Frank and Luka are just trying to keep Hawkeye media, fans, and coaches at bay while they go through this process. I'm sure they both have knowledge over how this works and know that there is no guarantee in any of this. You can say you don't want to play in the G-League right now, but that doesn't mean Luka would not turn down an offer from a team that signs him but wants him to develop while playing in the G-League. Luka is telling people that he's not strictly down for fighting for a G-League spot, which is understandable.

As someone already posted, there are some teams that are intrigued with Luka and his abilities. All it takes for Luka and Frank is for someone to tell them they're going to sign Luka to a roster and he's gone. Being signed to a roster or even getting drafted does not mean you don't play in the G-League.

FightForIowa

Apr 9, 2020
Loaded? Yup Touissant and Connor really put the pieces together along with Wieskamp. LOL they finished with double digit losses again on a year they have a guy like Garza literally carry the whole team. The only reason this team even did what they did this year was because everyone had to do everything they could to limit Garza.

Now take that team and add another year to pretty much everyone that contributed. Garza could put up better numbers next season with the big guys that are leaving around the conference.

Teske and Stevens are gone.

Jalen Smith and Oturu are looking like 1st round picks and most likely won't be back. Wesson has declared and sounds like he wont be back in Columbus.

Cockburn and Tillman have both declared and could come back, although Tillman is showing up at the back end of the 1st round on some mocks.

Haarms is leaving Purdue.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Now take that team and add another year to pretty much everyone that contributed. Garza could put up better numbers next season with the big guys that are leaving around the conference.

Jalen Smith and Oturu are looking like 1st round picks and most likely won't be back. Wesson has declared and sounds like he wont be back in Columbus.

Cockburn and Tillman have both declared and could come back, although Tillman is showing up at the back end of the 1st round on some mocks.

Luka already dominated those guys.. He doesn't have anything to gain necessarily by coming back to Iowa.. All that it'll do is open up the possibility of getting injured or possibly putting up worse numbers. Also, Iowa's going to have more players available to play next year than this past year, which isn't going to affect Luka's minutes necessarily, but will most likely affect his production. Jordan is going to take a lot of shots next year and Patrick is going to get a ton of playing time as well.

The only way Luka is coming back is if he's told there is no shot he's going to make a roster. If a team wants to take a chance with him he's gone. He's not going to care about what Big 10 teams are returning in big men, he's going to care about $$ and playing in the best league in the world.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020

And good luck doubling Garza next year with Fredrick, Wieskamp, and a (hopefully) healthy Bohannon on the floor together.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
Luka already dominated those guys.. He doesn't have anything to gain necessarily by coming back to Iowa.. All that it'll do is open up the possibility of getting injured or possibly putting up worse numbers. Also, Iowa's going to have more players available to play next year than this past year, which isn't going to affect Luka's minutes necessarily, but will most likely affect his production. Jordan is going to take a lot of shots next year and Patrick is going to get a ton of playing time as well.

The only way Luka is coming back is if he's told there is no shot he's going to make a roster. If a team wants to take a chance with him he's gone. He's not going to care about what Big 10 teams are returning in big men, he's going to care about $$ and playing in the best league in the world.

He has nothing to gain by coming back? You mean other than cementing his legacy as the best player in Iowa history, winning the national player of the year, potentially leading Iowa to a Sweet Sixteen, etc.? If a team promises him a guaranteed contract, he’s gone. Anything less than that and he will be back, IMO.