Who’s still going into work?

Are you still going in to work?

• Total voters

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’m curious how many are still going into their office and what do you do?

Agriculture here and things have actually gotten busier since COVID-19 showed up.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
Work in a soybean processing plant and we really haven't changed much. Supposed to stagger breaks and clean with bleach water and sanitizer. Actually going to be bring contractors from everywhere here in 2 weeks. Going to be scary as damn near need to be on your death bed to get tested around here

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Work in a soybean processing plant and we really haven't changed much. Supposed to stagger breaks and clean with bleach water and sanitizer. Actually going to be bring contractors from everywhere here in 2 weeks. Going to be scary as damn near need to be on your death bed to get tested around here
What do you mean bring in contractors? For like a convention or meeting or something?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

You don’t work in one between DM and Omaha do you? Was thinking they were getting some work done

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
You don’t work in one between DM and Omaha do you? Was thinking they were getting some work done

I have a lot of experience at seed plants and most of them use outside contractors for maintenance and general electrical work. Multiple sites I worked at had electrical contractors on site almost daily. Then you have places like. Brat eye out of Des Moines doing maintenance on equipment on the regular.

Add truck drivers to the mix this time of year and it’s basically a cesspool that can never shut down.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
Further north but possibly one of our plants as it's that time of year for annual maintenance

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
I have a lot of experience at seed plants and most of them use outside contractors for maintenance and general electrical work. Multiple sites I worked at had electrical contractors on site almost daily. Then you have places like. Brat eye out of Des Moines doing maintenance on equipment on the regular.

Add truck drivers to the mix this time of year and it’s basically a cesspool that can never shut down.
Where there is a will there is a way. We could do more! We could go 24 days without anyone from outside the 4, 6 man crews we run entering the plans outside of the railroad if need be. Until it has to come to that we will just saty essential and not really make any changes

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Further north but possibly one of our plants as it's that time of year for annual maintenance

Most likely a different one then I was thinking. My son is interning at a different part of a business next door. So I was just curious if you worked at that one.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Recruiting manager in the trucking business. Most of my people are working from home. I'm still going to the office.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Field Engineer for a major bridge construction project. Most of the hourly craft guys are still here (a little bit of absenteeism), about 1/2 of the field engineers are here, and the majority of the business/admin folks are working from home.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Still going to work at the lumber yard (cue the jokes here) every day. But this week we began locking the door and requiring people to knock, then we go and help them. Oddly enough, our year has started out far stronger than any first quarter that I remember. And we are sill bidding work at an extremely high rate.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Physical therapy. Of course our clinic is a lot slower than usual, and I’m only working 3 days a week now.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Commercial Construction, the whole office is still coming in and 99% of our union labor force is still working onsite.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I was still going into the office until 3/23 when they kicked me out and was told to work from home. There was barely anybody there so there was never close to 10 people on the main floor of the building plus 4-5 in the lower level.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I've been working from home since Spring Break. I work for a University and they have been pushing people to work from home. I work on a team of 5: myself and one other team member have been working from home. My co-worker is considered high-risk and my wife is 11 weeks pregnant and is also considered high-risk, so I didn't want to bring anything home with me. My manager and the other two team members have been reporting to campus this whole time. It's actually worked out well for us as summer is our busiest time on campus, so we've been able to start on projects two months early.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yes, IT support for an essential business. We've sent a lot of our employees to work from home that normally did not, but there are still functions that require some kind of presence in the offices where their jobs can't be replicated at home since the equipment they use or the security protocols like handling confidential materials can't be replicated at home.

Already have 3 of my coworkers working from home, 2 are diabetic and 1 can't afford to not have his wife working for another essential business that is open where she has no work from home option so he is now working at home so they don't have to find child care. I really don't mind coming into the office still, in a building that typically has around 1800 people in it probably down to about 300 still in the office and that number keeps going down daily. Saw a report earlier this week that across all our buildings in town we were under 20% still reporting to the office 1 day. I have my own secure room to work out of so I'm plenty distanced. I don't see how it would be possible to get 100% of my team home because we support the hardware these people are working from and if it crashes or can't get connected remotely they have no choice but to bring it into the office for service if we can't resolve the issue remotely.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was a bit surprised when I did a video call with a co-worker and he was in the office today. Albeit all by himself. :thinking

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
I own a small retail greenhouse. Just got done transplanting a bunch of tomato plants. We are doing a lot of business curbside and delivery but greenhouse can stay open even in the shelter in place states from what i understand.