Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Today's numbers have been released. They are quite a bit higher.

Yesterday there were 17,229 new cases with 268 deaths. So far, with a couple states left to report there have been 15,079 new cases and 251 deaths. New York needs to get its crap together, looks like they have decided to give it to their neighbor because New Jersey is running high numbers now.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Yesterday there were 17,229 new cases with 268 deaths. So far, with a couple states left to report there have been 15,079 new cases and 251 deaths. New York needs to get its crap together, looks like they have decided to give it to their neighbor because New Jersey is running high numbers now.
You had us confused because you’re in the Iowa thread.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

New York State (Gov Cuomo) has actually done a terrific job, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be horrific there. The population is dense, the people are Americans (aka don’t like rules or listening), and De Blasio waited far too long on most things in NYC proper.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
New York State (Gov Cuomo) has actually done a terrific job, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be horrific there. The population is dense, the people are Americans (aka don’t like rules or listening), and De Blasio waited far too long on most things in NYC proper.

Put down the doobie. You saying the guy who was saying there is nothing to see here a couple weeks ago has done a terrific job?

Reactions: Scott34

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

It's going to be too late for everyone.

NY can't get their crap together with a lack of resources to begin with vs. what's needed.

I think even after seeing what's happening in Italy, our overall response has still been, 'Eh, that won't happen here' and people just went about their business.

You're seeing it on this 'Iowa' thread. 'Yeah, but look at New York; that won't happen in Iowa'.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I also think the ratio of people tested to being positive is an interesting figure. People are upset about the hoops you have to jump through to get tested, and rightfully so. But I think it's important to note that a high percentage of people who exhibit symptoms such that the qualify for testing still aren't positive.

Some folks in this thread called me a troll earlier so I'll repost the info to maintain my "street crew".

As of early this week, WA state had tested 31,000 with 30,000+ coming back negative. For a state that's been hit so hard, that's a heck of a lot of negatives and a heck of a lot of resources to confirm a guy has the sniffles.

Targeted testing is important - but mass testing seems to be a waste of resources.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
One thing that i get frustrated with during this is when I have made a couple trips to the grocery store. Is it really necessary to bring your whole family or significant other to the store with you? I have saw this a few times and it frustrates me.

Reactions: Scott34

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Some folks in this thread called me a troll earlier so I'll repost the info to maintain my "street crew".

As of early this week, WA state had tested 31,000 with 30,000+ coming back negative. For a state that's been hit so hard, that's a heck of a lot of negatives and a heck of a lot of resources to confirm a guy has the sniffles.

Targeted testing is important - but mass testing seems to be a waste of resources.
You have no idea who was tested or why.

Reactions: Die4Cy

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
One thing that i get frustrated with during this is when I have made a couple trips to the grocery store. Is it really necessary to bring your whole family or significant other to the store with you? I have saw this a few times and it frustrates me.
I wonder if part of that is not wanting to leave kids home alone and spouse doesn't want to stay with them. Or it's their only time out of the house for a while? Trying to think positively about some of this.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Major international travel point, mass transit in heavy use.......if we really want to get into it......leaders higher up were less than serious about the issue a couple weeks ago. And NY has been asking for federal help for at least a week now with little being done.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Having more formalized stricter measures would put more pressure on some of the employers that are bucking this and refusing to adapt with a WFH strategy. A good number of people would isolate but can't because its show up or get fired.

My company says they are essential and the newsletter earlier this week said something like " people depend on us and most of our jobs cannot be work from home, so u less you're sick we need to help others by being in the office "

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My company says they are essential and the newsletter earlier this week said something like " people depend on us and most of our jobs cannot be work from home, so u less you're sick we need to help others by being in the office "

Someone should say, 'Great, just let me know when we all have full Lysol cans at our desks and when we arrive'.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Guys, it's not that hard to just cook fish at home.

It's actually easier than going out for fish fry if you look at logistics of driving, waiting, ordering, etc.

Thaw the fish, season, cook both sides at medium heat for 5ish minutes/side, with veggies or something on the side.

That goes for a lot of food that can be cooked at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.