Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned last night's Coronavirus special on Iowa Public Braodcasting (TV.) I watched it and the main PBS Coronavirus show preceding it. That one was really helpful and intriguing to me, and I thought when Dr. Fauci was interviewed by Judi Woodruff he was bluntly honest. Especially when she asked him about the president calling it "the Chinese virus."

If you want to watch the Iowa show from last night, it's here http://www.iowapbs.org/iowapress/story/36067/coronavirus

This is the PBS NewsHour link https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/watch-live-confronting-coronavirus-a-pbs-newshour-special

thank you for the link. Missed it last night and saw it mentioned on the 10pm repeat. Hopefully have time to watch tonight.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
KCCI had the breakdown of cases in Iowa was surprised how many were in the under 65 age group. I suppose that goes mainly back to all those folks who were on the cruise to Egypt.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Loffredo produce in DM had a food giveaway today let you take one of what you wanted. They are a food wholesaler who had extra produce because of the food service cut backs. Good on them for doing that instead of letting it spoil. Saw it on KCCI don't know more about it than that.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Loffredo produce in DM had a food giveaway today let you take one of what you wanted. They are a food wholesaler who had extra produce because of the food service cut backs. Good on them for doing that instead of letting it spoil. Saw it on KCCI don't know more about it than that.

I've been thinking about all the changes existing food-related businesses are doing or might be doing just to stay afloat. And also about the immediate and ongoing economic effects on small businesses. And that led me to thinking about the types of small businesses that many food places depend on - those who supply the eggs, bread, meat and other locally grown fruits and vegetables. Those folks now don't have the markets they worked so hard to get in restaurants. Could restaurants sell their extra product, similar to take-out only menu items? Or would that run against existing food safety laws?

Today from our WFH offices, DH and I got a take-out lunch from a brand new (and know it was scheduled for yesterday and today only) cooperative effort between two downtown Ames businesses. Neither my waistline nor my bank account can handle take-out every noon and night, but I likely would buy commodity-type items to make my own food if it were available at a take-out place.

Brand new world. Not sure about "brave" yet.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I've been thinking about all the changes existing food-related businesses are doing or might be doing just to stay afloat. And also about the immediate and ongoing economic effects on small businesses. And that led me to thinking about the types of small businesses that many food places depend on - those who supply the eggs, bread, meat and other locally grown fruits and vegetables. Those folks now don't have the markets they worked so hard to get in restaurants. Could restaurants sell their extra product, similar to take-out only menu items? Or would that run against existing food safety laws?

Today from our WFH offices, DH and I got a take-out lunch from a brand new (and know it was scheduled for yesterday and today only) cooperative effort between two downtown Ames businesses. Neither my waistline nor my bank account can handle take-out every noon and night, but I likely would buy commodity-type items to make my own food if it were available at a take-out place.

Brand new world. Not sure about "brave" yet.

Any one that can support these small businesses, it will certainly be appreciated, lots of small business people are going to be pressed hard to survive if this goes on too long. Not involved in it but anyone I've talked to said the restaurant business is brutal.

I've been doing a little bit of carry out/pick up since this is started and I'm only doing it from local joints. I realize people from chains are also laid off but more than likely those businesses are better positioned to last longer at least that is what I tell myself.

• Agree
Reactions: Shawker

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Any one that can support these small businesses, it will certainly be appreciated, lots of small business people are going to be pressed hard to survive if this goes on too long. Not involved in it but anyone I've talked to said the restaurant business is brutal.

I've been doing a little bit of carry out/pick up since this is started and I'm only doing it from local joints. I realize people from chains are also laid off but more than likely those businesses are better positioned to last longer at least that is what I tell myself.

I saw on social media a community somewhere had gotten their restaurants together to offer "cravings bonds" issued to entice people to use their establishments in the future, while getting them money to get by now. People get $25 gift cards to use in the future for $20 now.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I work closely with Loffredo with my job (Produce Buyer for a good distributor). They were essentially trying to give us stuff to get to people but we also were long on stuff. We ended up donating 1,000+ lbs of salad mix, shredded lettuce, and coleslaw mix. We service bars and restaurants and shutting them down midweek screwed us.

It would have been better had they waited until this weekend or announced it last weekend. We bring in all of our stock on Monday for the week, Loffredo brings all of their stock in on Tuesday mornings. So the mid day Tuesday announcement messed up a lot of things for everyone in the food business.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
582_T07.750x500.jpg

The hermit crab has competition to be my spirit animal.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I would say your no testing of asymptomatic is just like the people you're against saying "test everyone". It's not about testing every single person or no asymptomatic people. There is absolutely a point to testing asymptomatic people that have had direct contact with a positive case. At the very least. To try to catch and stop the virus sooner. The point is not to test "everyone" but to test everyone we need to. With symptoms or not.
There is something like 620 tests available in the state right now. And you want to test everybody that says they have contact with a positive case? Good luck with that. You’ve burnt through your test kits in a matter of days and now you aren’t testing anybody.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield

We had take out last night. Local owned. Prime rib we both ordered 8 OZ and I weighed the cooked meat one was 13 oz and the other 15 oz. They were so pleased to see us!!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Should clarify, the person who was tested was the source and they told me right after they found out. I was not the one tested but appreciate your kind words.

Since this is a positive case. How long did it take for them to get results? Been a wide range mentioned out there.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
First case in Linn county. Female 40-60 years old.

Also said they expect 80% of the state to get the virus at some point.

• Dislike
Reactions: Cy$
Status
Not open for further replies.