Terrence Lewis transferring

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I don’t think we can make a commitment to playing more zone unless we substantially longer at the 1, 2 and 3 positions. Bolton and Jackson are not ideal for a zone defense to to lack of length.
Medford and Kenny Cherry were both under 6'...

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I don’t think we can make a commitment to playing more zone unless we substantially longer at the 1, 2 and 3 positions. Bolton and Jackson are not ideal for a zone defense to to lack of length.

As of now there are already 5 new guys coming in next year, the shortest one is 6’5”.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Thank you! I dont see why people are so up in arms about Lewis and Griffin leaving when they struggled to get minutes on a 20 loss team. If Prohm can land a couple high quality transfers they would have struggled to get minutes even more next year.
The reason why people are mad is because they're totaling up numbers of players that have left and it's definitely eye opening, but people are ignoring the fact that at this point this had to happen.

This year is done. We lost two guys to begin the year and ended up being able to put together a solid recruiting class because of that. These guys leaving now open up the opportunity for Prohm to add to that. This needed to happen.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
As of now there are already 5 new guys coming in next year, the shortest one is 6’5”.

First let’s make sure all 4 get here.
Secondly do you really think we are going to play primary zone defense? Has this staff ever done that at Murray State or here? Has this staff shown you anything to believe that they would flip their defensive or offensive philosophies in 6 months?

Foster is going to be asked to guard the 4 position man to man. If he can’t do it then he will see limited playing time.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Jacobson was an average Big 12 starter as a junior when he had talent around him to give him space to work. He was not very good as a senior.

Nick came in during the offseason where Fred clearly had one foot out the door, TJ was essentially interim head coach for a period, and Prohm was hired.

I am not really sure who should get credit for him.

Maybe Nick was more of an "Iowa State recruit" as a legacy more than any one coach.
That's fine. It doesn't really matter. Nick could've left once Fred announced but he didn't. Not sure he even practiced under Fred.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Just an observation, I don't think the "Fire Prohm now/yesterday" crowd and those of us who fully expect him to get next year to right the ship are all that far apart on the issues that face Prohm & the program right now. There may not even be that much distance between what these groups actually expect will occur - this year has been rough and the odds look steep. However, it sure seems likely that Prohm will be back, so why the exasperated reactions when players transfer who weren't part of the solution anyway??

It's too bad it didn't work out for them & ISU, but these players weren't going to help right the ship. You have every right - and solid reasons - for wondering how Prohm could find success next year. I'd just prefer to take the positive side and say that there's a chance & let's see what happens.

I will say that the Grill transfer was a big surprise (more re: effort & potential contributor down the road) and really makes me wonder, but the above still applies. If one of the remaining five (yes, a small #) decides to transfer, that will make it seem as though the ship is just taking on too much water. At this point, that seems like the likely result next year, but you never know...

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The reason why people are mad is because they're totaling up numbers of players that have left and it's definitely eye opening, but people are ignoring the fact that at this point this had to happen.

This year is done. We lost two guys to begin the year and ended up being able to put together a solid recruiting class because of that. These guys leaving now open up the opportunity for Prohm to add to that. This needed to happen.
Haliburton, Jacobson, Nixon,Griffin, Lewis, Grill leaving, plus a lot of smoke on 1 more tomorrow.

Returning/bringing in Foster, Dubar, Blackwell (maybe), Johnson, Walker, Bolton, Conditt, Young, Jackson, and 4 walkons. Plus whoever we’re hoping to get here and minus one more of the returners. Yikes, that looks pretty bad to me.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Everyone: "We need a culture change and need to get guys who can shoot the ball!"

(3 of the worst shooters and players leave) (Prohm actively trying to find better players)

Everyone: "Oh my God! We have no one left! We're only going to have 5 players next year."

Stop freaking out lol. We all wanted a re-vamped roster. We all were complaining we didn't have Big 12 capable guys. So lets not freak out that probably the 5 worst guys from this year (Griffin, Lewis, Grill, Jacobson, Nixon) are all not going to be here next year. It was inevitable that Tyrese was going to leave too.

This just seems to foo-foo the potential impact of having to completely redo a roster coming off a year where we lost 20 games. Again, people just act like you can go get high impact JuCos and transfers and it doesn't work like that.

Personally, I'm just think this sets us up for more "give him time" arguments going forward, which frankly I'm just over.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Some of you seem to think high impact transfers and Jucos grow on trees. That’s not how it works and those players usually have there choice of who to play for. There’s only a handful of jucos, at most, a year that are impact players. A high number of players transferring out of a program are HUGE red flags regardless of there talent level. It’s even more concerning when the team was 12-20 and this many players are transferring. The program is a dumpster fire at the moment.

Assuming the obvious (TH declaring) we needed a PG last week and we need a PG now.

We also need an experienced forward oppo Johnson. Apparently Griffin and Lewis aren't the answer.

Grill showed some promise but he would still be 3rd string at the 2 and Prohm wants more size at the 3. The last 2 years have magnified how length in the backcourt works and not having it sucks.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Haliburton, Jacobson, Nixon,Griffin, Lewis, Grill leaving, plus a lot of smoke on 1 more tomorrow.

Returning/bringing in Foster, Dubar, Blackwell (maybe), Johnson, Walker, Bolton, Conditt, Young, and 4 walkons. Plus whoever we’re hoping to get here and minus one more of the returners. Yikes, that looks pretty bad to me.

Now that you're identified the next to go as Jackson, can you share the "smoke"?

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids

Returning/bringing in Foster, Dubar, Blackwell (maybe), Johnson, Walker, Bolton, Conditt, Young, and 4 walkons. Plus whoever we’re hoping to get here and minus one more of the returners. Yikes, that looks pretty bad to me.
Any guess on the 4th?

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Lewis and Griffon transferring were all but a given.

Grill was a surprise--but maybe it's purely about playing time for him, and he didn't like the idea of getting constantly recruited over. It's a shame, as even if he wasn't big 12 starter quality (who knows maybe he could have been), I saw him as a guy that gets good minutes off the bench to relieve starters. And that's something every team needs down the stretch in a season.

I'm not sure how Griffin will do, but I have a suspicion that with the right coach, Lewis could be a really solid player, and I wish him well.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
First let’s make sure all 4 get here.
Secondly do you really think we are going to play primary zone defense? Has this staff ever done that at Murray State or here? Has this staff shown you anything to believe that they would flip their defensive or offensive philosophies in 6 months?

Foster is going to be asked to guard the 4 position man to man. If he can’t do it then he will see limited playing time.

I think you can pair Foster with Young and Conditt with the small ball 4s to reduce this issue. Perfect solution, no but both options have a rim protector.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Just an observation, I don't think the "Fire Prohm now/yesterday" crowd and those of us who fully expect him to get next year to right the ship are all that far apart on the issues that face Prohm & the program right now. There may not even be that much distance between what these groups actually expect will occur - this year has been rough and the odds look steep. However, it sure seems likely that Prohm will be back, so why the exasperated reactions when players transfer who weren't part of the solution anyway??

It's too bad it didn't work out for them & ISU, but these players weren't going to help right the ship. You have every right - and solid reasons - for wondering how Prohm could find success next year. I'd just prefer to take the positive side and say that there's a chance & let's see what happens.

I will say that the Grill transfer was a big surprise (more re: effort & potential contributor down the road) and really makes me wonder, but the above still applies. If one of the remaining five (yes, a small #) decides to transfer, that will make it seem as though the ship is just taking on too much water. At this point, that seems like the likely result next year, but you never know...

I think the exasperated reactions are more due to the fact we are having to turn over such a high percentage of our roster due to not being Big 12 caliber players. The recruiting misses, coupled with lack of development, are really starting to add up, and the transfer/JuCo landscape is such that you don't just get your pick of the litter any more.The idea that there are impact transfers and JuCo's just lining up to come play for us is silly.

So I don't think the exasperation is "how are we going to ever win without Grill/Griffin/Lewis" as much is it is a realization that our program is in a bad, bad place right now and it's extremely unlikely that you can drum up the talent in one off season to make us relevant again. So the question becomes who is willing to sign up for a longer rebuild with a coach who has already had two historically bad season out of the last 3?

• Winner
Reactions: CycloneErik