2019 Taxes

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
We filed with IA and Fed on 2/10. Got federal back in about 10 days. Assume we probably got another 20 days before IA refund, about 5-6 weeks total. Anyone gotten a 2019 IA refund quicker than that?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We filed with IA and Fed on 2/10. Got federal back in about 10 days. Assume we probably got another 20 days before IA refund, about 5-6 weeks total. Anyone gotten a 2019 IA refund quicker than that?

Iowa is supposedly running 4 - 6 just like the last few years.

My Fed came on day 22 but IA says still processing.

I filed on 2/2 (during the Super bowl)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone06

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Filed both electronically on 2/1 with direct deposit of the refund. Got federal refund on 2/12 and no state refund yet.

Reactions: Cyclone06

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Iowa is supposedly running 4 - 6 just like the last few years.

My Fed came on day 22 but IA says still processing.

I filed on 2/2 (during the Super bowl)
My fed was within 2 weeks. Have a buddy who is an accountant saying similar numbers to yours for state.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The high % of people who get a tax refund blows my mind.

A lot of people seem to enjoy loaning their hard earned dollars, interest free, to the gov't...and then get annoyed when they don't pay it back fast enough.

Full disclosure - we over-withhold each year, so get refunds. I"m too lazy to take the time to figure out the proper w/h amt. That said, I'm not going to ***** about timing given I could take the effort, if I wanted to, to adjust my withholding down so I didn't have to rely on the gov't to send it back to me on an arbitrary time table that I feel is appropriate.

That's on me.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapnCy

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
For the record I do not want refunds, but owing feels pretty bad. In 2016 and 2017, we owed primarily because no kids. Then taxes changed, we changed w4s, kids came, and now we've gotten smallish refunds. I am considering a change to our W4s this year, to hopefully re balance for 2020.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
A lot of people seem to enjoy loaning their hard earned dollars, interest free, to the gov't.
Yeah, because the interest rate they'd be getting with that money in a savings account MIGHT get a burger and fries.

Not to mention the fact that I'd guess most refunds are generated by credits and therefore people never had access to the money anyways.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Yeah, because the interest rate they'd be getting with that money in a savings account MIGHT get a burger and fries.

Not to mention the fact that I'd guess most refunds are generated by credits and therefore people never had access to the money anyways.

Your first point is a false choice. You can choose to take more take home pay and invest that difference in the markets. You're not required to put it in savings account.

Anticipated credits easily be calculated ahead of time too. Do people just wake up one morning and there is a newborn baby suddenly at their doorstep?? Pleez...

There are online calculators....your Turbotax will do this for you....and you can go full bore with a CPA.

This is not an issue to draw the victim card.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron