Eye Test

80sClone

Dec 29, 2014
Was it just me ... or was the difference in the size of the players for ND coming out of the tunnel to start the game shockingly different than ours. I usually don't pay much attention to that but it caused me to pause and say ... oh crap.

KenND

Dec 8, 2019
Was it just me ... or was the difference in the size of the players for ND coming out of the tunnel to start the game shockingly different than ours. I usually don't pay much attention to that but it caused me to pause and say ... oh crap.

Take it for what it’s worth, but guys who cover the ND team made the same observation during the week when they were covering the various activities leading up to the game.

Edit: Out of curiosity, how do the ND players compare to your experience with Oklahoma?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Take it for what it’s worth, but guys who cover the ND team made the same observation during the week when they were covering the various activities leading up to the game.

Edit: Out of curiosity, how do the ND players compare to your experience with Oklahoma?

OU is like a bunch of track sprinters all flying around the field on offense. ND seemed to be more methodical and setting things up by what they were successful with.

ND's defense in general was way better with assignments and tackling.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
My eyes told me that the other team was much better and it wasn't even close. One team had a clear decisive game plan and stuck to it even when there wasn't success every single play. The other team had a game plan which seemed to be the same game plan every other game. Stuck to it even if there was success or not. I didn't notice the size difference.

80sClone

Dec 29, 2014
I usually don't pay much attention to that. Had just sat down with a brew and ND was gathered at the entrance. Kids seemed huge... and not just the line. Out they ran .... whoa... then we were up. I thought to myself we better have a speed advantage or this could be difficult. Now I'm thinking how many more 4 star kids we need along with a few 5s sprinkled in.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
It was very obvious. It reminded me of when we played Michigan and Seton Hall in the Bahamas. The difference was shocking. The guy covering Pettway might have been bigger than him.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
It was very obvious. It reminded me of when we played Michigan and Seton Hall in the Bahamas. The difference was shocking. The guy covering Pettway might have been bigger than him.

Even when you look at someone like Pettway to others on our team, there is very noticable difference.

• Funny
Reactions: criticalobserver

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City

To me, Oklahoma and ND play very different styles of football and their strategies are very different and thus they recruit different players. I didn’t think there was a huge difference size wise when ISU played Oklahoma, but there was a noticeable speed and athleticism difference. ND was a huge size difference

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
I compared there secondary guys to ours and my god the size of their guys didn’t even compare to ours. Really all across the board tho.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I thought ND looked bigger coming out of the tunnel. Once on the field with ISU, it didn’t seem as much. However, they just seemed more stout. Even their DBs were stockier, but had good speed.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
ND is recruiting at a whole different level than ISU and Iowa is at. They had something like 47 4 and 5 star rated players on their roster. ISU has no 5 stars and a handful of 4 stars.

While the star system is not the be all to end all, it does give a good example of the talent that a team has. Its up to the coaches to get that talent to play at a high level.

ISU is forced to take smaller dbacks, to put speed on the field, while kids like Rose has the speed and size that most need, many of our players have to built up and require a few years to get on the field. 4 and 5 star players should be ready to take the field as freshman and contribute.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
ISU's size is generally fine. The worst part of our program is the OL and until they improve, we'll never sniff more than 8 wins, let alone hit the 10 win mark.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
My eyes told me that the other team was much better and it wasn't even close. One team had a clear decisive game plan and stuck to it even when there wasn't success every single play. The other team had a game plan which seemed to be the same game plan every other game. Stuck to it even if there was success or not. I didn't notice the size difference.
Got it. Youre pessimistic and blind Obvious difference in size and speed.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
OU is like a bunch of track sprinters all flying around the field on offense. ND seemed to be more methodical and setting things up by what they were successful with.

ND's defense in general was way better with assignments and tackling.

On many of their big plays, i remember amazingly coordinated downfield blocking by numerous ND players.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I have seen others say this but I really didn’t think it was that evident. I thought the biggest difference was in ability to execute. We handed them 3 points on the first drive, Purdy fumbling without being touched, and not calling a QB sneak directly lead to 17 points for them. Had that not happened who knows what happens, and irony is that all of those happened all season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron