Is Brock Purdy still a Heisman Candidate?

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
ISU doesn't have to win the Nat'l Title, but they do need to be in Playoff contention and more importantly play in the Big 12 Champ game (winning Big 12 would certainly help) to have Brock or any ISU player considered.

But right now wouldn't you say it is Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields as favorites and a wide gap to the third guy if you were posting odds for 2020 Heisman?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
OP is easily the most negative person on this board but living in Council Bluffs will do that to a person.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
We would have to win the NC.

The Heisman is awarded before the bowl games, so winning a NC isn't a requirement. But I do think we would have to be in the ballpark of a playoff bid, as it seems like the award has become something like the MVP of the best team versus the best individual player period. Troy Davis would not have been invited to NY with the way the Heisman is being treated today.

• Agree
Reactions: CyclonesRock

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
The Heisman is awarded before the bowl games, so winning a NC isn't a requirement. But I do think we would have to be in the ballpark of a playoff bid, as it seems like the award has become something like the MVP of the best team versus the best individual player period. Troy Davis would not have been invited to NY with the way the Heisman is being treated today.
Sad but true, even though he did something that no one has ever done with consecutive 2,000+ yard seasons.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
If some of you can’t tell the difference between Brock Purdy, Trevor Lawerence and Joe Burrow I don’t know what to tell you. This isn’t a Brock issue because he is a damn good quarterback and I love the kid. I am ecstatic that he is at ISU. But those guys are in a different stratosphere right now. Can Brock elevate his game to that level? Maybe, but to put Heisman pressure on him is really unfair.

Another thing look at who those guys throw to. Long fast studs. I know our offense was better statistically and we had fewer dropped balls but we missed Hakeem big time this year much more than David. We had a hard time finding mismatches offensively without him as well as blowing the top off defenses. Pettway helped a lot more than I thought he would but he wasn’t Hakeem.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don't understand that, at all.
Hopefully the reps the younger guys on the line are getting now pay dividends for next year to give Brock more time to really do his thing and make more of a run at it.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Agreed Breece is a better candidate right now, but re-watching the game Brock really had a hell of a game. He made a lot of plays after he bought time with instant pressure, which he almost always had. The interception just left a bad taste at the end is all.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Arguing about which one of our players has a better chance at the Heisman is content I could get used to.

Reactions: Cycho1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron