Is Lewis injured because

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Next years class is not the best in ISU history. Tim Floyd had the #2 recruiting class in '97. LE had the #2 recruiting class in I think '02(Haluska, Vroman , Barnes, Harper, etc.) and I'm almost positive the class with Stinson and Blaylock was top 10.

The main point is next year's class needs to be a good one for Prohm and from what know now he did a nice job. If he can go 3 for 4 with the 2020 class like it appears he did in 2018 we will be in good shape. The 2019 class left a lot to be desired taking a guy like Anderson as a fall signee and apparently whiffing on the Leech project.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My $.02

We were all excited to bring Lewis in. He was highly rated, looked good in his videos and there were parallels between him and Matt Thomas. Many on here remember Matt being harshly criticized and then later making people eat their words. As a result, many were determined to silence the critics of Lewis.

Now, Lewis's trajectory clearly hasn't paralleled Matt's and we get the typical message board breakdown:

- reasonable posters that realize Lewis is likely not justifying being played but still not attacking Lewis or Prohm
- posters that realize Lewis is likely not justifying being played, but wanting to pile on Lewis and/or use it as an agenda against Prohm
- the "I told you so" a-holes that feel like attacking other posters because I guess it makes them feel superior
- posters holding out hope that Lewis can still turn it around for the good of the team and Lewis
- posters holding out hope that Lewis can still turn it around just so they can be an "I told you so" a-hole later on

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This thread is silly. People going by the few game samples claiming someone should get more playing time. It's almost as if people have never played a competitive sport with a competent coach.
1. Coaches spend a hell of a lot more time around players, watching them perform, watching them put in work in practice and camp. In fact, game-time is a tiny fraction of the time coaches get to watch players compared to practice and offseason workouts.
2. The idea of the Allen Iverson-type "gamer" is pretty much a fantasy. If a guy practices like crap, it's an almost certainty that he'll be crap on gameday.
3. In the event that #2 actually does exist, rewarding a guy with playing time that dogs it in practice because he's marginally better than guys busting their ass at practice is a great way to make other people dog it at practice.

A good coach pushes a player to the best version of themselves. If they don't take care of their business but are simply more talented than someone else that works their ass off, you still have to send that message to that player and to the team that poor effort in practice, being late to meetings, etc. isn't acceptable. Otherwise you're going to develop a **** program. It's like people ******** and moaning about Beverly starting over Lard. Clearly Lard was a better player, but he didn't do what was asked of him and EVERYBODY ELSE in practice, at meetings, in the classroom, etc. Long-term for your program you have to send that message. Whether that sort of thing relates to Lewis, I have no idea. But a fan watching a few minutes of playing time and suggesting he's "earned" minutes over guys like Jackson or Grill have no idea what they are talking about.

I actually think this happens with some very exceptional athletes in the pros but they're basically another level of human.

Grill....does he seem to be face guarding all the time?

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006
I've heard the team doesn't practice in Hilton. If true, perhaps the visual in Hilton is different enough to explain the poor home court shooting. Having said that, I was in the Bahamas last week and our 3 point shooting was abysmal in two of three games...
It's pretty clear now. We only have 1 or 2 good shooters on the team. Not sure either of them have 3 point range. Alot of shooters, not very many "makers".

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The main point is next year's class needs to be a good one for Prohm and from what know now he did a nice job. If he can go 3 for 4 with the 2020 class like it appears he did in 2018 we will be in good shape. The 2019 class left a lot to be desired taking a guy like Anderson as a fall signee and apparently whiffing on the Leech project.

Even if Prohm goes 2/4 on the most recent class -- and Jackson and Grill look pretty good so far, but both have a lot of basketball ahead of them at Iowa State, then that class was at least decent if not good. We know Leech and Anderson were misses, but even if just those two guards work out going forward, then it was a good class.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's pretty clear now. We only have 1 or 2 good shooters on the team. Not sure either of them have 3 point range. Alot of shooters, not very many "makers".
You can't expect freshman to come in and be lights out, so give Grill and Jackson some time to acclimate. Also, our team does practice in Hilton, just not a ton. They also have a shoot around there before every single game.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
100% agree. Also, you have to think about from Prohm's standpoint.. When the walk ons got into the game, there was about a minute left and the game is over. Putting out a scholarship player in those moments sometimes hurts that player's mindset. Unless Lewis is in Prohm's dog house, I'd assume he would've gotten into the game if we would've had the game wrapped up by about the 5 minute mark.

Totally agree here. No need to insult the kid who seems to be a good kid and teammate. I’m guessing this point that Terrance understands the reason he isn’t playing and has either checked out or trying to rectify them. I honestly have no idea. I thought Tyreses comments in the Bahamas about him spoke volumes of the kind of teammate he is and if that’s the case he is providing locker room value

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The basketball forum is 10X as dumb as the football forum. The football forum has a fair share of game thread overreactions but cannot compete with the shear idiocy of the basketball forums. It's both entertaining and perplexing.

I think the best is freak outs over it being a tight game in the first 5 minutes or even half vs. mid-majorish schools.

Outside of fouls a rough start is not a big deal.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Totally agree here. No need to insult the kid who seems to be a good kid and teammate. I’m guessing this point that Terrance understands the reason he isn’t playing and has either checked out or trying to rectify them. I honestly have no idea. I thought Tyreses comments in the Bahamas about him spoke volumes of the kind of teammate he is and if that’s the case he is providing locker room value

Sadly many only value these players as dispensable video game like figures whose only function is to make the fans happy.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think the best is freak outs over it being a tight game in the first 5 minutes or even half vs. mid-majorish schools.

Outside of fouls a rough start is not a big deal.
I sometimes find myself doing this but usually catch myself and relax, knowing that we'll make a run and that'll be the end of it. Last night though I was a little bit antsy until we made that final run at the end of the game to ice it. People, including me, need to realize that although being a smaller school, mid majors constantly give good games to the bigger schools. It would make their entire season if they were able to knock off a P5 school and also help their resume a ton come tournament time.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Talent level is not why he’s the last player off the bench behind walk-ons, he’s likely showing lack of effort or poor attitude in practice.
I have a hard time believing he would still be here after 3 years of poor attitude and practice methods. He would have been asked to move on just like two other players were this year. Something smells fishy with all this. Not saying he should be playing but for him to be on the bench last makes no sense.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I mean it was fizer and rancik. But that was it.
Gerrod Henderson was a top 100 player and C.J. Bruton was the #1 Juco player in the country. Those 4 were the headliners.
Henderson-didn't qualify
Bruton-ineligible because he got payed to play in Australia.
Walter Moore-redshirted then transferred
Chris Ridens-redshirted then transferred
Andy Stensrud-stayed with football
Lee Love-sucked
Jerry Curry-sucked

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I have a hard time believing he would still be here after 3 years of poor attitude and practice methods. He would have been asked to move on just like two other players were this year. Something smells fishy with all this. Not saying he should be playing but for him to be on the bench last makes no sense.

Well, tyrese gave him a shoutout on espn after the Alabama gameabout what he means to him. He’s usually up and cheering on the bench. Saw him at least 3 times run off the bench to encourage a teammate who’d made a bad play.

Maybe he’s just a good kid, who has plateaued as a player, but who likes where he is and his teammates.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Gerrod Henderson was a top 100 player and C.J. Bruton was the #1 Juco player in the country. Those 4 were the headliners.
Henderson-didn't qualify
Bruton-ineligible because he got payed to play in Australia.
Walter Moore-redshirted then transferred
Chris Ridens-redshirted then transferred
Andy Stensrud-stayed with football
Lee Love-sucked
Jerry Curry-sucked

I meant the only two who contributed

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron